U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 28,069 times

Advertisements

I wanted to bump this thread. I'm considering applying to be a K-5 teacher in Newark public schools for fall 2013 via the alternate route.
Am I wasting my time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,605,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
I wanted to bump this thread. I'm considering applying to be a K-5 teacher in Newark public schools for fall 2013 via the alternate route.
Am I wasting my time?
That might be one of the only places that would be hiring, since inner city schools usually have a hard time finding people to work in them. At least in K-5 your chances of having major issues with students should be less than if you wanted to teach in the high schools there.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,995,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That might be one of the only places that would be hiring, since inner city schools usually have a hard time finding people to work in them. At least in K-5 your chances of having major issues with students should be less than if you wanted to teach in the high schools there.
Don't believe the hype. It's a bit easier to get hired in an urban district, but it's still very difficult. And while the issues in an urban elementary school will usually not be as serious overall as in urban middle/hgh schools, there are still plenty of issues, especially with the huge push to mainstream special needs children, including those with severe emotional problems.

OP, start applying anywhere and everywhere for a job. You can't be picky.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 PM

20 posts, read 28,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Thanks. Dealing with issues or a bad neighborhood is not an issue for me. Actually I'm more interested in teaching where there is greatest need in Newark.
I'm just worried that there won't be any openings and that even if there were, I'd be ignored no matter how passionate and dedicated I may be to helping Newark kids.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
Well I have been at learning centers and have exhausted working in these places where I can't really help teach in the full aspect I have been trained. I see that even while I am doing a Master Program to fullfill getting a position it is hard to even get in to a field study unless you really are know is someone in the school so if you can get a substitute position it would be a tiny shot of getting in. I have seen positions already being filled from within the aides and assistant that are already working there and they continue to put the ads out in the paper. good luck I would also look to the christain and catholic schools. It would be easier .

Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 PM

978 posts, read 1,742,463 times
I think I'd rather drink bleach then be a public school teacher in a place like Newark.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM

2,099 posts, read 3,247,075 times
It's funny on yahoo.com today Elementary School Teacher was ranked #1 best job field to pursue if you get laid off. I guess there must be a demand in other states, just not NJ because of the unions.

It's sad, because the best teachers for kids shouldn't be cronies -- but that is the attitude that NJ tends to take (Out for themselves, not the kids.)

Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 15,237 times
To the OP- you mention wanting to stay near the PA border... Just know that you have one year to prove NJ residency if you get a job in NJ, if you are thinking about commuting! There is a waiver system in place, but it is far from a sure thing.

Alternate route... Would not recommend. Previous posters have explained the glut of certified thru a program want-to-be-teachers, you would be up against those people. As a principal, I would not even pull an alternate route elem teacher unless something really caught my attention-too many options!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey