Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM

62 posts, read 147,056 times

Advertisements

Yogesh great information. Just curious though- builder provides 2 TV wire runs and 3 pre-wire telephone. so why add them in your 3k package. You can always buy HDMI outside, once you have the coax in. Or they did not give you the pre-wires?

With the electrical contractor - I understand you refused to buy from him, but did you already install fan boxes & electric wires so you can mount fan later. And what type of box and how much weight it can handle for foyer? Did you get any prices on box from electric contractor.

Did anyone also got a garage opener from builder? Its 1200 bucks --- sounds ridiculous coz you get a nice one @home depot for 200, so for 2 doors 400. 800 for labor is insane.. and another thing they dont give power outlet in garage. So if you want to install opener on your own you will have to pay separate for electric outlets... i dont know how much but if anyone knows.. please share details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM

13 posts, read 107,718 times
We did have Mike prewire for our surround sound system in our family room (Essex model). That was something we really wanted and didn't want to go through the walls at a later date. However, we didn't purchase his speakers. We plan to buy speakers on our own after we close.

To grandslam -- we did not get the garage door openers through the builder. We also thought $600 for each was too much money (not even knowing how good of a door opener it is). We purchased ours from Lowes for about $200 each. Even with installation, it comes out less expensive than the $1200 the builder was asking.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM

v cool.. thanks guest052511. so i guess you had the electrician get an outlet in garage...

Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM

60 posts, read 142,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest052511 View Post
We did have Mike prewire for our surround sound system in our family room (Essex model). That was something we really wanted and didn't want to go through the walls at a later date. However, we didn't purchase his speakers. We plan to buy speakers on our own after we close.

To grandslam -- we did not get the garage door openers through the builder. We also thought $600 for each was too much money (not even knowing how good of a door opener it is). We purchased ours from Lowes for about $200 each. Even with installation, it comes out less expensive than the $1200 the builder was asking.
Did you get Wireless Access Point & TV prewired for HD from
Mike?

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 PM

283 posts, read 667,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslam21 View Post
Yogesh great information. Just curious though- builder provides 2 TV wire runs and 3 pre-wire telephone. so why add them in your 3k package. You can always buy HDMI outside, once you have the coax in. Or they did not give you the pre-wires?

With the electrical contractor - I understand you refused to buy from him, but did you already install fan boxes & electric wires so you can mount fan later. And what type of box and how much weight it can handle for foyer? Did you get any prices on box from electric contractor.

Did anyone also got a garage opener from builder? Its 1200 bucks --- sounds ridiculous coz you get a nice one @home depot for 200, so for 2 doors 400. 800 for labor is insane.. and another thing they dont give power outlet in garage. So if you want to install opener on your own you will have to pay separate for electric outlets... i dont know how much but if anyone knows.. please share details.
Dear Grandslam21:
Yes builder provides 2 tv wires and 3 phone connections. We used 2 TV wire connections for living room and the small 4th bedroom upstrairs (which we will use as guest room or computer room). Hence Family room HDTV wiring was extra. We did not want additional phone connections as we can have 3 wireless phone sets (in basement, first and second floor) and have cordless phones. Moreover, Cat5 or 6 wiring can provide phone service also.

Since our Bergen model is not high-ceiling type, we just installed one fan box with wires in dinette area next to kitchen for $150. We will install home depot fan later by ourselves. For high-ceiling models such as Essex, Mercer, etc. it is better to install as many fans as possible as the air from the HVAC duct will not circulate and mix on its own because of height.

For Foyer, we did not have anything except 6 recessed lights in the top ceiling. We dropped the plan for chandellier in the Foyer as it it frequently breaks down (due to wind if windows are open during storm, maintenance need, etc.)

Yes, garage openers are $600 per door, but we did not want headache later on, hence we ordered with the home.We also added one garage pad opener. In case we forget our key while going for a short walk, we can punch in code in the pad (mounted outside garage) and get in the house. It is worth considering.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM

13 posts, read 107,718 times
Yes, we still needed the outlets in the garage so we added them through the electrician.

To GTG007, we did not get the wireless access point, but did have the TV prewired for HD so they can run the wires through the wall (for mounting the TV).

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM

44 posts, read 113,549 times
We were told that the garage comes with outlets already included in the ceilings for openers.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM

thanks yogesh for detailed breakdowns and also to everyone else.

Guest20 - I am very positive they told me no outlets in garage. $1200 package includes outlet. You might want to double check.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM

283 posts, read 667,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslam21 View Post
thanks yogesh for detailed breakdowns and also to everyone else.

Guest20 - I am very positive they told me no outlets in garage. $1200 package includes outlet. You might want to double check.
Guest20 is right. The garage with the power outlets. It is a standard feature, whether you buy garage openers or not.

We baught garage openers (2) for $1,200 and home entry key pad for $175. In my existing home in Middlesex, if we go out for walk and fogot our home keys, I have to breakin my house from the unlocked small bathrrom window by jumping from adjacent deck. Hence home netry key pad is a must. You can just punch your code and the garage door opens.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest20 View Post
We were told that the garage comes with outlets already included in the ceilings for openers.

We just met with our electrician and had our home wired last week. They do not charge extra for those outlets above the garage doors. However, the sales lady did make it seem like an extra for some reason.

Everything Yogesh said in this thread has been pretty much spot on. We're also set to close in September!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey