U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2007, 07:58 AM
 
2 posts, read 9,393 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I know loads of people have asked similar questions, but I haven't found any answers that suit me. So here goes....
I am a single 30-year old female who will be working as a court reporter in Manhattan. I am looking for a SAFE place to live that is within an hour's commute of Manhattan. Also, I am looking for the cheapest safe place to live.
I know the above sounds pretty vague, but hopefully someone will be able to help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 34,593,171 times
Reputation: 3605
A lot depends on where in Manhattan you work- getting to Wall Street is much different than getting uptown, and recommendations will differ for each.

Bob
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2007, 08:23 AM
 
687 posts, read 3,108,826 times
Reputation: 143
And a more specific budget for housing would also be helpful...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2007, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
1,289 posts, read 5,823,350 times
Reputation: 298
Yes, budget is the most important factor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,393 times
Reputation: 11
I am a court reporter and will be working in various lawyer's offices all over NYC so I figured that once I could commute to a major station (like Penn, or Grand Central) that I could make my way to said offices.

As I am only starting out my budget would be a maximum of $1000 per month including utilities.

The reason I picked New Jersey is because when I looked up apartments online, the prices seemed reasonable. It is only after reading some of the posts on this website that I have become concerned about the safety of some neighbourhoods.

I hope you can give me some advice and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my posts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
 
687 posts, read 3,108,826 times
Reputation: 143
At under $1000 per month, your options are going to be fairly limited. While there are certainly apt. under $1000 in NJ, I'd say they probably aren't places a single woman would feel too safe or comfortable in, especially since you want a commute under an hour.

That said, if you were able to find a roommate and split a 2BR, your options would, IMO, be much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
ira
 
Location: Bergen County
657 posts, read 3,765,180 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrigan76 View Post
Hi everyone,
I know loads of people have asked similar questions, but I haven't found any answers that suit me. So here goes....
I am a single 30-year old female who will be working as a court reporter in Manhattan. I am looking for a SAFE place to live that is within an hour's commute of Manhattan. Also, I am looking for the cheapest safe place to live.
I know the above sounds pretty vague, but hopefully someone will be able to help.
If you don't find anything in NJ, you could try Brooklyn. Midwood and Bensonhurst areas have apartments w/in your range. You could find a really nice studio or a small one bedroom. Those are not the "trendiest" neighborhoods but they are safe and easily commutable to Manhattan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 11:30 PM
 
562 posts, read 2,522,238 times
Reputation: 143
for 1k w/ utilities, you can definately find something good in ELizabeth and it's only about 25 mins to Penn Station.. make sure you look in Elmora section or North Elizabeth.. other areas are sort of shady.. if you need more info just message me.. i'm hardly on this forum any longer.. good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
1,289 posts, read 5,823,350 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
At under $1000 per month, your options are going to be fairly limited. While there are certainly apt. under $1000 in NJ, I'd say they probably aren't places a single woman would feel too safe or comfortable in, especially since you want a commute under an hour.

That said, if you were able to find a roommate and split a 2BR, your options would, IMO, be much better.
Agreed. It is going to be hard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
1,289 posts, read 5,823,350 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
for 1k w/ utilities, you can definately find something good in ELizabeth and it's only about 25 mins to Penn Station.. make sure you look in Elmora section or North Elizabeth.. other areas are sort of shady.. if you need more info just message me.. i'm hardly on this forum any longer.. good luck!
That would be possible but I am not sure if you want to live in Elizabeth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top