Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

"I live in Texas, and am seriously considering moving to New Jersey to get away from tornado alley, these past tornado outbreaks have been horrible. I'm a single mom, does anyone know safe or decent areas in New Jersey for a single mom. I have family in Newark but found that area to be unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,049,372 times
Most of the suburbs in NJ are safe - that's what City-data's for!

You'd need to provide more info about your budget, commute, features of a town that you like.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,101,808 times
There may be safe and affordable neighborhoods in NJ. But if so, they're not near anything. Stick with the tornados.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 PM

262 posts, read 839,034 times
Garden State MLS

My sister owns a condo in the Rivermill West complex on Belleville Bloomfield border. It is currently for sale, but is also about to be listed as a rental that will be professionally managed by Real Property Management of North Jersey.

It is very safe area (she lived there by herself for over 3 years while she completed Internal Medicine residency at UMDNJ) in peaceful, park-like setting, but still with things such as small shopping mall with A & P, pizza, dry cleaning, etc. within about 3 blocks walking distance. Plus because it is a condo, there are always lots of other eyes around to hopefully keep potential burglers and other criminals away from area.

NJIT transit bus #93 stops right outside complex and will take you down to Bloomfield Station if you want to take bus or train to Hoboken or NYC, and same bus also goes to Branch Brook Station, where you can catch Newark Light Rail into Newark.

I don't want to list Craiglist ad I have put up for her because that would probably viewed as advertising, but if you have any interest, PM me and I will send you the link.

I would guess, however that things such as general cost of living and property taxes will be much higher than you are used to in Texas.

And you can probably rent or even buy nice townhome in Society Hill / University Heights area of Newark which should be very safe because many college students live there and those universities probably want to make sure their students are safe. Probably have to drive to get to shopping etc though.

Just do a google search for Newark Off Campus Housing and you will see tons of affordable rentals in that area.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,754,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnypna82 View Post
"I live in Texas, and am seriously considering moving to New Jersey to get away from tornado alley, these past tornado outbreaks have been horrible. I'm a single mom, does anyone know safe or decent areas in New Jersey for a single mom. I have family in Newark but found that area to be unsafe.
Your moving because of Twisters , but were at risk for Hurricanes and get Violent Thunderstorms...

Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 PM

4,284 posts, read 10,721,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There may be safe and affordable neighborhoods in NJ. But if so, they're not near anything. Stick with the tornados.

its not so bad in South Jersey. I would take a look in the Philly suburbs if I was the OP.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,870,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There are entire towns that are safe and affordable in New Jersey, the trick is, finding the ones that are near your job. You would probably enjoy life in South Jersey though.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 AM

177 posts, read 446,542 times
South Plainfield.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,891,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnypna82 View Post
Safe from what? Tornadoes? Violent personal crimes? Car theft?

Affordable to what level of income or savings? $50k a year & no savings? $125k a year with $100k cash?

There are a PLETHORA of towns & neighborhoods that might meet your needs. We just don't know what those needs are. Throwing ot town names at this point would be useless to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey