Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
The listing agent has made money just by getting the listing if the house is sold. I would give the incentive to the selling agent. The listing agent could still make the sale. You could also negotiate certain terms- open houses etc as a condition of getting the listing.
A listing agent does not make money by getting a listing. A listing COSTS an agent money right up to the moment it closes and he gets paid.

What you want to be sure of is that the co op fee offered to buyers agents is the same as or higher than that offered on the majority of similar homes. You're trying to make certain that there is no reason for an agent to NOT show your property in favor of others.

And if you have to "negotiate" things like open houses, you hired the wrong agent. If you're going to spend money on a real estate agent to market & sell your house, you should be paying someone who knows how to do this better than you do. Discuss the marketing approach BEFORE you sign the listing agreement, and if you don't like or agree with his plan, and he can't show you why it's the right approach, it's probably better to not hire him than to hire him and then try to manage how he does the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
If the norm in the area is 2.5% (it is here), you definitely want to offer buyer's agent 2.5%. Yes, the seller's agent is incurring expenses to market the house, but the buyer's agent has probably been showing their customers a lot of things and will be back at your house quite a bit for inspections, contractors, etc. .

Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM

15 posts, read 20,561 times
The commission is best split, in my opinion, 50/50 and bonuses for the selling agent, as Keke suggested, for a timely transaction are a very good incentive.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 PM

284 posts, read 616,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I priced to sell and picked the most active agent in the area. We had a lot of showings considering it was February. I had 2 legit offers (both cash w/30 day closings) within 3 weeks but I pulled it off the market before countering because I got my job back.
and you didn't have any problem with your listing agent?
I thought the agent had done some work....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey