Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:47 PM

68 posts, read 272,322 times

Advertisements

Almond, I live in Haddon Heights, which was once called "one of New Jersey's hidden treasures". It's right next to Haddonfield, about 10 minutes from both the Ben Franklin and Walt Whitman bridge and about 45 minutes to the beach (Ocean City or Atlantic City) It's a very small town with an adorable main street and older homes. Everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. The homes range in prices from 200k on up. You could buy a small bungalo (which I am selling now) 3 bedrooms, 1 bath for about 260k to a large colonial or victorian for over 500k. THe great thing about Haddon Heights is that the homes are so diverse and you can walk your kids to school or main street for ice cream. There is also a fantastic park for running, biking or playground right in the center of town. (They also have summer concerts here each week!!) I love it here, but we are soon moving for a new job!! If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 PM

175 posts, read 607,070 times
Default Re: Best Towns in NJ

Hello again-My wife and I plan on moving to Millville in the near future, yet from what I hear/see on all these threads that NJ is the worst place to live on earth. I'd like to see more positive posts about Millville and Cumberland county if at all possible because I've visited Millville 3-4 times now; and while it's not a Utopia by any means; it doesn't appear(on the surface) to be Hell on earth. Can I get some positive responses please ? I'm in Medical Support, and want to also know about South Jersey Health Care. Good/bad place to work ? Thanks so much.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:41 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Most of the complaints about NJ fall into a few broad categories:

- High real estate prices- Well, someone is buying the houses at these prices, so apparently there are jobs available that allow you to pay for such a home. Maybe they're not a 5-minute commute from home, but they're out there.

- Traffic- well, when you put 7 million people in a state the size of NJ, that pretty much inevitable. In general, traffic here is no worse (and even somewhat better) than any other major metro area- LA, Atlanta, Houston, etc.

- High property taxes- I'll agree that the taxes are higher than average by far (it's been said that they're the highest in the nation), but again, there's some 7 million + people living here, so I guess a few people have figured out how to pay them and still get by.

In general, the South Jersey areas you're looking at do a little better on all three accounts- home prices are lower, traffic is lighter, and taxes are lower- than in North Jersey. Of course, you'll also be limited in your choice of jobs unless you want to commute to Philly, and the salary will likely be lower if you're not heading into Philly as well.

As you've said, NJ isn't a utopia, but it's not the hell on earth that so many around here like to make it out to be.

Bob

Old 01-20-2007, 01:21 PM

175 posts, read 607,070 times
Default Best Towns In New Jersey

Thanks Bob-I know that every town has its pluses and minuses, but I can't imagine millions living in NJ without someone there liking it. I'm looking for work in the Vineland/Bridgeton/Millville area, so hopefully something will pan out. I live in Newport News, Va now where the salaries are cruddy, cost-of-living isn't the greatest, the crime and traffic is HORRENDOUS- so South Jersey seems a little less crowded to me. I wish that I could afford housing, but we'll probably have to rent. Anyone out there who is willing to help me with job hunting or networking will be greatly appreciated. I thank everyone of these boards for their knowledge and help.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:54 PM

15 posts, read 68,581 times
For Central Jersey, you can't beat Cranbury! Retains what NJ used to all look like and minimizes the sprawl that other central jersey towns have been going through.

Close second is Allentown

Third is Englishtown & Jamesburg

Old 01-27-2007, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 27,761 times
Woodbridge Twp is a terrific place to live in -- in the middle of everything. Taxes are around $5-6k. I just put my house up for sale yesterday in Avenel (town in Woodbridge Twp). If you are interested in living in a home that is walking distance from the train to NYC (train ride is about 45 min to city), pharmacy, post office, paramedics, fire house, restaurants, etc and has been completed updated for almost every modern appliance ... go to www.greatnjhouseforsale.info and make me an offer. The suggested price was based on a realtor's assessment, but as I am selling this home on my own, the price is negotiable. Note that the house must be sold by March 2007 so ALL offers will be considered. Whatever you do, good luck!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 98,707 times
Hi, I have posted the same question on other topics, but I would greatly appreciate your infos on these places - safety (should I chose to work here or i should stay away), cost of living, rent, etc
1. Lakewood
2. Bayville
3. Chatham
4. Cherry Hill
5. Fairfield
6. Manalapan. Monroe. Englishtown
7. Riverton

thanks!!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 AM

157 posts, read 780,482 times
The best place to live in NJ is Westfield:

bustling downtown, lots of family activities, top rated schools, friendly people, great commute, lots of charming homes, very walkable, great town pool, most who live here LOVE it...

Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,918 times
The best place to live is Far Hills. Minimum 10 acres for a residential lot. REAL MANSION no faux McMansions. If you are making 1-2M a year you will not find a finer town. NJ millionaires love Far Hills.

E

Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 98,707 times
Unfortunately, those are places of employment with the company I might be working for. other than those listed above, i'm stuck there. hehe. But I wouldn't mind a 10-20minute drive from house to work. I just want to know if I'd be safer where, etc.

thanks for your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey