Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 PM

13 posts, read 51,601 times

Advertisements

During rush hour and on the weekends? Manageable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:15 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsuper View Post
During rush hour and on the weekends? Manageable?
rush hr ur screwed 206 is hell and you have no way out buddy the drive is ur only option look for a better commute

Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
No traffic weekends.

You can take 518 from 206 to canal rd... just a couple of miles and follow the road along the canal and come out on 514/533. Take 533 into Findern and west on 28 into Somerville.

or Skip the canal scenery and take 206 to 533.

Back roads to or use 206 to Cherry Hill Rd to 518, short left and right on Belle Mead Blawenberg, left on East Mountain rd to 514. Right on 514 left on Beekman lane to right river rd or right on new center rd...cross 206 and your in Somerville.

Usually these back roads allow consistent times vs a very fast or extrememly slow trip down 206....and no traffic

or 518 to hollow rd, R on Long hill, R on Zion, left at 3 way stop on 514 left along river right on river rd to Raritan, R on Orlando drive, cross 206 and into Somerville.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Kracer gives you several options of alternative routes that can be helpful in keeping you moving.

206 from Princeton through to the other side of Hillsborough is mostly a two-lane road with several traffic lights that can back up traffic rather quickly on weekdays and nights. Once you get up to the Duke Estate, it opens up to a much wider 4-lane highway.

On weekends, there is less traffic, generally, but you still may find knots of traffic from time to time.

If you have patience for traffic and can give yourself a good hour, 206 from Princeton to Somerville can be done.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Another lane each way on 206 would be very very nice.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Another lane each way on 206 would be very very nice.
Actually the state has started work on the bypass through the area. The problem is, it's just one of the problem areas. Additional lanes each way from the monument in Princeton up to the Duke Estate would be wonderful. I just don't see it happening.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 51,601 times
thanks a lot for the detailed route suggestions. I have to move to NJ for a 1-year job in Somerville. I'm 27, single, and used to living in an urban environment with lots of stuff to do. That's why I was thinking I might prefer living in Princeton to Somerville and doing the commute. 1 hour is long though...if you were me would you just stick it out in Somerville for a year? Probably not as much going on as Princeton, but from what I've read it might be a decent town?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Quote:
thanks a lot for the detailed route suggestions. I have to move to NJ for a 1-year job in Somerville. I'm 27, single, and used to living in an urban environment with lots of stuff to do. That's why I was thinking I might prefer living in Princeton to Somerville and doing the commute. 1 hour is long though...if you were me would you just stick it out in Somerville for a year? Probably not as much going on as Princeton, but from what I've read it might be a decent town?
Have you been to Princeton yet? There's really not much going on in Princeton. It's a little college town. There are a few bars, but nothing crazy. Most of the undergrads hang out at those eating clubs on campus. It's really very suburban, not urban at all. Lovely, but not exciting.

If anything, I would recommend New Brunswick if you wanted an urban environment with stuff to do.

I would just live near work. You can always do want you want on the weekends anyway (go to the city, go around other parts of NJ).

Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Have you been to Princeton yet? There's really not much going on in Princeton. It's a little college town. There are a few bars, but nothing crazy. Most of the undergrads hang out at those eating clubs on campus. It's really very suburban, not urban at all. Lovely, but not exciting.

If anything, I would recommend New Brunswick if you wanted an urban environment with stuff to do.

I would just live near work. You can always do want you want on the weekends anyway (go to the city, go around other parts of NJ).
I agree. If you are looking for an "urban" environment, New Brunswick would be much better. Plus the commute would be a bit less of a hassle:

Regardless of where you live in NB, you would basically take Easton Avenue west to I-287 N. On I-287 you can move through the area relatively smoothly, though there are slowdowns. If you need to get into the downtown Somerville area, take the exit for Rte. 28. Or stay on 287 to Rte. 22 to get out to the Somerville Circle area.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,125 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you'd stay in Princeton and work in Somerville. I can't find the logic there at all. The daily commute just does not cut it to 'enjoy' Princeton.

What I'd suggest is, rent one of the crappy apartments in Somerville (there are no nice apartments) - I've stayed at one for over 5 years and just suck it up. Or if you want to go a bit fancier, there is a newer apartment in Raritan (next town) which is more expensive.

Somerville has bus and train access to NYC or take Rte 22 or I-78 (preferred) to get you to NYC quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey