Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 AM

284 posts, read 617,642 times

Advertisements

Hi,
It has been a while since I purchased my last house.
If I were about to make an offer, do I need a pre-qualification letter or pre-approval letter?

I thought I need a pre-approval letter, however, my assumption was that pre-approval letter is free (my realtor pointed me to a mortgage originator and told me it would be free, but I don't want to use him. I think my previous realtor was from weichert and they had people in-house to do the credit check). However, from everything I checked, it seems that pre-approval requires me to begin the application process, i.e. pay the application fee etc..

Mortgage Pre-Qualification vs Pre-Approval

In my case, I am thinking to refinance and pay cash for my second house, hence it does not make sense for me to pay for a pre-approval letter, but then I don't want to begin the refinance until my offer is accepted.

Is there anyway to get around this? Besides the mortgage originator recommended by my realtor, how can I get a free pre-approval letter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM

177 posts, read 448,314 times
Pre-approval is absolutely free, you shouldn't pay a dime for it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM

20 posts, read 37,240 times
pr-approval is free

Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 AM

219 posts, read 542,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
In my case, I am thinking to refinance and pay cash for my second house, hence it does not make sense for me to pay for a pre-approval letter, but then I don't want to begin the refinance until my offer is accepted.

Is there anyway to get around this? Besides the mortgage originator recommended by my realtor, how can I get a free pre-approval letter?
You can refinance and pay cash for the new home but you don't want to pony up for a Seller's feel good letter?

No offense, but that just shocked me. Anyway most Sellers will look at a pre-qualified letter with little regard when considering an offer, and they are free (which is why they aren't given much weight). A firm pre-approved letter is hard to get unless you have the specifics of the property being considered. Many lenders (for a fee to cover processing) will issue an open or conditional pre-approved letter, which often depends on locating the property and having it appraise for a certain amount.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,753,686 times
To refinance costs money; can you get a home equity line of credit to pay for the second home? This won't cost you anything and you'll get an approval letter stating the approved amount.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
To refinance costs money; can you get a home equity line of credit to pay for the second home? This won't cost you anything and you'll get an approval letter stating the approved amount.
Interesting.
The realtor also mentioned home equity line of credit.
I never thought about it.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times
I always just used a pre approval. Never had an issue from sellers.

Question. How exactly would you write up the contract from a financing standpoint? If you say you are paying cash the sellers will most likely want proof you actually have the cash.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I always just used a pre approval. Never had an issue from sellers.

Question. How exactly would you write up the contract from a financing standpoint? If you say you are paying cash the sellers will most likely want proof you actually have the cash.
My initial plan was to use a pre-approval letter with proof of funds to make an offer. If the offer were accepted, I will begin to apply for refinancing...I do not see a problem with refinancing ..
thoughts?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
My initial plan was to use a pre-approval letter with proof of funds to make an offer. If the offer were accepted, I will begin to apply for refinancing...I do not see a problem with refinancing ..
thoughts?
How are you going to provide proof of funds if you haven't refinanced yet?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,245,513 times
You don't need proof of anything to make an offer, and in this market I can't see a seller demanding too much. You might as well get the free pre-qual, after all it is free. Normally there's a contingency in the contract about obtaining financing, so if it falls through you can back out with no harm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey