Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM

8 posts, read 29,452 times

Advertisements

My husband recently started a job in Ramsey. We are from Philadelphia, so we have been experiencing some sticker shock at the prices of homes and taxes in northern NJ. We ended up looking for a home in Orange County NY, seemed to get more for the money then NNJ. We found a home and were 2 weeks from closing when the deal fell through, low appraisal sellers did not want to renegotiate price.

Anyway we are renting for another year, but have been thinking that we should take another look at areas in NJ to avoid getting the double tax on income for living in NY. I just looked at some listings online in Sparta & Byram townships and they are so reasonable! Would the commute to Ramsey be torture?

Any other ideas for areas in NJ with single family homes in low $300,000s, great schools and a manageable commute to Ramsey .

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecountymove View Post
My husband recently started a job in Ramsey. We are from Philadelphia, so we have been experiencing some sticker shock at the prices of homes and taxes in northern NJ. We ended up looking for a home in Orange County NY, seemed to get more for the money then NNJ. We found a home and were 2 weeks from closing when the deal fell through, low appraisal sellers did not want to renegotiate price.

Anyway we are renting for another year, but have been thinking that we should take another look at areas in NJ to avoid getting the double tax on income for living in NY. I just looked at some listings online in Sparta & Byram townships and they are so reasonable! Would the commute to Ramsey be torture?

Any other ideas for areas in NJ with single family homes in low $300,000s, great schools and a manageable commute to Ramsey .

Thanks!
Sparta is going to be a rough commute. Possible, but not fun.

I would try Oakland. Easy commute to Ramsey. There are some ranches now in the low to mid 300s.

I would also look at Ringwood.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:

Thanks!
ERR EKK that commute = HELL try ridgewood instead or the rail towns along the bergen line

Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Thank you for the comments. I knew it was too good to be true, nice homes in our price range, so the catch is the commute.

We will take a look at Ringwood, seems you get a bit more house there than the postage stamp size cape cods that are in our price range in other areas on NNJ.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
We will take a look at Ringwood, seems you get a bit more house there than the postage stamp size cape cods that are in our price range in other areas on NNJ.

Check out Wanaque and Pompton Lakes as well.

I think you should be able to find a decent size split level with good bones in your price range.

One point of note about Orange county is that Rockland county and northern Bergen county are probably the only places you would be able to find employment in the future.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
ERR EKK that commute = HELL try ridgewood instead or the rail towns along the bergen line
Ridgewood and low $300's?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ridgewood and low $300's?
LOL, I was thinking the same thing!!

OP--I live in Ringwood and I love it! The commute to Ramsey would be a breeze, actually I wish I could find a job that close to home! You will definitely get a lot of bang for your buck in Ringwood we bought our home about 18 months ago and got a 3,200sq ft ranch with a lake view for under $300K and the prices have continued to drop. If your family enjoys the outdoors there is a ton of stuff to do in town. There's not a lot of shopping however but all the essentials are there.

The schools aren't top notch but they are not bad either and it's a great place for kids to grow up with all the activities. One downside of the town is that the taxes are pretty steep and there is not a whole lot of services (no fire dept, no sewer) the taxes are higher the closer you get to one of the lakes and lakefront is really high.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
Try also Midland Park or Waldwick. They may have homes in your price range and are right nearby.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Try also Midland Park or Waldwick. They may have homes in your price range and are right nearby.
better choices for easy trip

Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM

We went to a few open houses this weekend & really liked Ringwood. The taxes do seem high, but coming from the Philly area anything over $4,000 seems high! It will be tops on our list of NJ areas.

We plan on looking into Midland Park & Fair Lawn, but wow it will be hard to top the beauty of Ringwood.

Thanks icibiu for your input. As we get closer to looking seriously I may get in touch for more info on Ringwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey