U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 PM

77 posts, read 148,018 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband has a possible job opportunity in Princeton and we currently live in DC (Alexandria). We're originally from the South. I know nothing about NJ other than what I see on TV. What I've loved about DC is being able to drive into the city in 20 minutes and all that it offers but living in the quaint, historic, charming, quiet city of Alexandria. Is Princeton nice? What about the surrounding areas? Is it really small? Is there a Target, nice restaurants, etc? We're in our mid-30s and would like a quiet neighborhood with people roughly our age. We love fine dining, ethnic eats, boutique shops, etc. Our house range would probably be 600k-800k (I know that's a big range but it depends on salary negotiations). We don't have kids yet but probably will in the next year or two, so school districts aren't too important. We're coming up for a look in the next few days and seriously need advice on where to look to get a feel for the area- what towns, neighborhoods, etc. should we be looking?

Also, is there anywhere nice to stay around Princeton? I usually stay at Four Seasons properties (I know there's not one in Princeton) and would rather not stay at a Hampton Inn or the like. I've looked on TripAdvisor and the B&Bs have pretty bad reviews. I know I probably sound like a snob, but I'm really just a germaphobe. Any advice on Princeton or surrounding areas would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 PM

17,578 posts, read 44,102,113 times
I'm thinking you may enjoy living as close to downtown Princeton as possible. That will give you access to some nice restaurants and some high end shops. It is also close enough to most of the big name stores (Target/Best Buy/etc).

You certainly aren't going to be 20 minutes from the city. You will be about an hour from Philly. Further from NY. But you can get the train to NY which is nice.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM

22,402 posts, read 36,210,930 times
Princeton is very quaint and offers many amentities for a city an area of its size. In terms of other amentities (Target etc) you will find the area just outside of the walkable DT along rt 1 to have just about everything you would want including Wegmans etc. This area would be more similar to the feel of say a Sterling etc. in the outer burbs of DC in terms of many businesses and box stores etc just outside the pristine borough.

Princeton is roughly an hour from both NYC and Philadelphia for more urban excursions (though a little closer to Philly).

I suggest you look in the borough itself as it will feel a little like Old Town (smaller though) with a beautiful campus right next store (basically integrated into the town). Within Princeton you will have ample dinning options and many different types.

Unfortunatley the City itself (either NYC or NYC) are further than would be DC from Alexandria but offer great urban escapes as even Philly is larger than DC and NYC (well it is NYC).

Also there are many great little towns to explore in the area around Princeton and highly recommend exploring areas like New Hope PA and/or Lambertville both about 20-25 minutes away. But there are so many more plus the Jersey shore is about an hour and despite what MTV may show offers many great towns that will be fun to explore.

Best of luck and recommend taking a weekend to explore the area and get a feel for what all it has to offer.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 PM

249 posts, read 793,925 times
Princeton is really nice, you'll like it. It has the boutiques and dining that you're looking for. Surrounding areas such as West Windsor, Pennington, Montgomery will also be good recommendations.

As far as hotels, if you want to stay in the heart of Princeton, then Nassau Inn is an excellent, if only choice.

On the outskirts of Princeton are also numerous hotels that you should comfortable staying at.
Princeton Hyatt
Wyndham Princeton Forrestal
Princeton Marriott at Forrestal

If you don't stay at the Nassau Inn, my second recommendation would be the Wyndham. It's located in Forrestal Village, and you'll be able to walk to the few restaurants located in the same complex.

With both the Hyatt & the Marriott, you would need a car to have choices for dining besides the hotel.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 PM

2,963 posts, read 8,427,532 times
The Princeton area is very different from your Alexandria experience.

Is your job offer in " Princeton" proper? I ask because companies within a 10+ mile radius advertise a "Princeton" address but are located in a few nearby towns. Very different experiences.

kekee has given you some good local hotel recommendations.

There are Four Seasons in both NYC and Philly, about an hour away from Princeton.

Do people who stay at Four Seasons really shop at Target?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM

77 posts, read 148,018 times
Hi everyone, thanks SO much for all your replies. I will check out all the towns you listed. The job is in Princeton itself. If downtown Princeton might be somewhat similar to Old Town Alexandria, I'm thrilled already. And yes, people who stay at Four Seasons shop at Target; Wal-Mart even! LOL! I'm a hotel snob, but not an all-around snob- ha ha! Thanks for your advice!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 PM

24,657 posts, read 37,049,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
The Princeton area is very different from your Alexandria experience.

Is your job offer in " Princeton" proper? I ask because companies within a 10+ mile radius advertise a "Princeton" address but are located in a few nearby towns. Very different experiences.

kekee has given you some good local hotel recommendations.

There are Four Seasons in both NYC and Philly, about an hour away from Princeton.

Do people who stay at Four Seasons really shop at Target?
Sure. That's how we can afford to stay at Four Seasons.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 PM

6,966 posts, read 19,651,085 times
lol

Old 06-04-2011, 07:45 AM

18 posts, read 58,672 times
We moved from the big city to Princeton 6 months ago and had similar questions/concerns. Personally, after looking at numerous towns in Central NJ, we felt that Princeton was the best bet, both from the standpoint of amenities in Princeton proper, and also access to NYC and Philly, as well as having Rt 1 (with as many big box stores as you could ever want!) a quick drive away. The actual Borough of Princeton is gorgeous, quaint, and all in all, a great place to live. Property taxes are high (but this is common to all of NJ), but you live in walking distance of great shops and restaurants and there is not the suburban feel to the community like there are in some other towns.

As for hotel recommendations, I would stay in Princeton-proper (the major chains are on Rt 1 - not very pretty) so you can get a feel for the town. I would recommend the Peacock Inn or the Nassau Inn (ask for a renovated room). Have dinner at Eno Terra in Lawrenceville (just up the 206) or One53 and you'll get a sense of things quickly - great dining in a small town. Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:50 PM

362 posts, read 983,153 times
I'm going to echo what everyone else has said here. Princeton is definitely a charming town but not as close to the city (either Philly or NYC) as Alexandria is to DC. By train, it's typically around an hour and a half from Princeton Junction (which is actually in West Windsor - but a line called the dinky runs from downtown to this station). I can't speak what the train ride into Philly is like but from what I know of it most people just drive if they go that way.

You're really not going to get a "big city" feel in Princeton or anywhere in Central NJ but that's not necessarily a bad thing - it's about an hour to hour and a half to the shore from here. Princeton's very quaint and classy (I personally adore the downtown) and if you're looking for something a little more happening there's a lot of bars that cater to young professionals in downtown New Brunswick (about a half hour away depending on traffic.)

Also going to echo about the Princeton mailing address does not mean Princeton thing - I've worked two jobs that are listed as Princeton due to the mailing address - neither was actually IN Princeton (one was physically in Plainsboro and the other in West Windsor), this is something to keep in mind if you're looking to buy a house because you may have a Princeton mailing address but not actually be IN Princeton itself (which means not in the Princeton school district). Generally anything that's directly off Rt. 1 has a Princeton mailing address but is NOT actually in Princeton. (Depending on the location it's typically South Brunswick, Plainsboro, West Windsor or Lawrenceville)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey