Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 AM

13 posts, read 24,088 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I are thinking about moving to the Ridgewood/Glen Rock area. We've looked at a couple of nice homes in Fair Lawn as well. In nicer sections of Fair Lawn like Milnes and Radburn, you can buy a home for 100k (or more) cheaper than the equivalent home in Ridgewood/Glen Rock. We have kids so the schools are a special concern to us, but the Fair Lawn schools seem fine.

A major concern to us, and one that we've had voiced to us from several friends, is that Fair Lawn might be going downhill a bit. Whereas over the last 20 years, the community has been propped up by a tremendous influx of mostly hardworking Russian (Jewish) immigrants, this seems to be waning a bit. New groups of people seem to be arriving- the demographics seem to be changing dramatically- and crime is up and the schools seem to be trending down.

Is this a valid concern, or am I making too much of this? Do you think property values are more at risk in Fair Lawn than in other more insulated communities such as Glen Rock/Ridgewood? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 AM

728 posts, read 1,965,101 times
lol is this a joke? I mean Ridgewood and Glen Rock are fancier and richer always have been. Fair Lawn is not going downhill at all. Crime is not up, schools are not trending down and the demographics are not changing anymore then any other North Jersey town. As of the 2010 Census the town is 80% white 10% Spanish 9% Asian 1% African American, pretty similar to the 2000 numbers. Like I said before Ridgewood and Glen Rock are fancier communities but Fair Lawn is one of the best in Bergen County for its overall package.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,665,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
lol is this a joke? I mean Ridgewood and Glen Rock are fancier and richer always have been. Fair Lawn is not going downhill at all. Crime is not up, schools are not trending down and the demographics are not changing anymore then any other North Jersey town. As of the 2010 Census the town is 80% white 10% Spanish 9% Asian 1% African American, pretty similar to the 2000 numbers. Like I said before Ridgewood and Glen Rock are fancier communities but Fair Lawn is one of the best in Bergen County for its overall package.
Yeh seriously..Fair Lawn is great. It never has been and never will be in the same social "echelon" as Glen Rock or Ridgewood but it's still a very nice town. One of the best in Bergen county might be a bit of a stretch but it's still a fine place to raise a family.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM

13 posts, read 24,088 times
Thanks for those comments; they were very helpful. I don't know much about Fair Lawn, but seems like it's remarkably close to Patterson- one of the most dangerous places in the state. It seems like given it's proximity to Paterson, the changing demographics of new immigrants, and the general malaise of this recession that Fair Lawn might be a little more "at risk". I'm terrified of buying into Fair Lawn and having it look like Hackensack in 10 years and losing 30% of my home's value. I'm just wondering if there is a risk of Fair Lawn taking a serious turn for the worse in the next 10 years or so. I realize that all towns in Northern New Jersey are changing demographically. I don't care about race so much as the town generally retaining the flavor and property values that I bought into.

I mention Glen Rock/Ridgewood because they seem like they might have a better chance of retaining their character and perhaps property values.

I apologize to anyone from Hackensack that I may have offended.

Basically I'm a first time home owner that's terrified of buying into a town that might change on me and erode my investment.

Any additional comments would be welcome.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,228 times
Glen Rock is a great town - it's taxes are a bit ridiculous!
Higher taxes does not equal better investment - that is NJEA speak "thanks for padding our pensions".

Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,749 times
I love the terms on these boards. Can someone please explain what they mean when they say "going downhill"? Sounds like a very broad term to me.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I love the terms on these boards. Can someone please explain what they mean when they say "going downhill"? Sounds like a very broad term to me.
Condition is worsening relative to recent past history.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Condition is worsening relative to recent past history.
That is everywhere today, especially in this economy. This whole world is going downhill then, nuf said.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
Right, I would compare Fair Lawn more to Waldwick (has a train station like Fair Lawn) Or Midland Park (does not). Also there is Wyckoff.

I dont know if its going downhill but since these other towns are surrounded by towns more wealthy than them... maybe they are more "protected"?
I don't know all of the markets these days but around the corner from us is a real cute 3 bedroom house for sale for 330k !!!! No garage and 50x100 but it is cute, move right in. Quiet street. Argh!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umagumm View Post
It seems like given it's proximity to Paterson, the changing demographics of new immigrants,
Fair Lawn is a fairly big town, with a part of its border bordering Paterson, but you shouldn't feel nervous. As far as what I've experienced (since I go to a church in the town), Fair Lawn is pretty safe and quiet. You have to remember that it is within Bergen County and it's a suburban town for the most part. Paterson is a city in another county. What separates the two is a river.

For as long as I can remember, the residential community has been predominantly Jewish. Like any other town, new incoming demographics is to be expected. That can be a good thing. Fair Lawn has an interesting wide downtown, that's not like Ridgewood's upscale downtown, but it's a downtown nonetheless. It reminds me more of one of Hackensack's streets at some points.

I really would suggest that you, and your family, drive through the area. Get a good feel for it. Just because it doesn't look upscale doesn't mean you'll have a lack of quality of life. Fair Lawn has a combination of small houses and big bi-level looking houses so you get a good mix in there. (Horray for a lack of McMansions!) Fair Lawn has a nice recreational park, a walking trail, and a hidden tennis court. And you guys would be in close proximity to a lot of other things that Bergen County has to offer.

Edit: And as joe moving has said, you would also have the convenience of a train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey