Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 AM

11 posts, read 36,843 times

Advertisements

I've read that another poster said she wants to get out of New Jersey because the whole young, teenage population is growing to be like the characters on that TV show (Jersey Shore). And another moved from the state because she didn't want her children to turn out like that.
This doesn't make sense to me. I believe it depends on how you raise your children, not on TV shows. Are you trying to get out of NJ because of those people?
What do you think? Do you think the influence of the Jersey Shore is so strong that the young population of New Jersey will imitate those characters?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 AM

83 posts, read 224,753 times
I'll have to agree with you. I think it's the way you raise your children that's important. Also, there is always 'the grass is always greener' mentality. Yes, there is that horrible show about the shore. Are people really that stupid and thinks everyone in NJ is like that? Also, there are people like that and a hell of a lot worse in EVERY state in this country. I lived in Massachusetts for a few years. They used to make fun of the Guido's but, they had their own in that state, and many other jerks as well!
If these people were such great parents and are moving to benefit their kids, why are they letting them watch that junk?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
I've read that another poster said she wants to get out of New Jersey because the whole young, teenage population is growing to be like the characters on that TV show (Jersey Shore). And another moved from the state because she didn't want her children to turn out like that.
This doesn't make sense to me. I believe it depends on how you raise your children, not on TV shows. Are you trying to get out of NJ because of those people?
What do you think? Do you think the influence of the Jersey Shore is so strong that the young population of New Jersey will imitate those characters?
My daughter is 19. She thinks the show is stupid and is nothing like the idiots on there. As a matter of fact, I don't think I know anyone who IS.

[quote=jacks29;19511997]I'll have to agree with you. I think it's the way you raise your children that's important. Also, there is always 'the grass is always greener' mentality. Yes, there is that horrible show about the shore. Are people really that stupid and thinks everyone in NJ is like that? Also, there are people like that and a hell of a lot worse in EVERY state in this country. I lived in Massachusetts for a few years. They used to make fun of the Guido's but, they had their own in that state, and many other jerks as well!
If these people were such great parents and are moving to benefit their kids, why are they letting them watch that junk?[/quote]

Ha, good point!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Considering it is a national television show available in all markets, what does moving do in terms of changing it's influence? Certainly media has an impact on kids in terms of attitudes and values. However, an engaged and active parent will have a far greater impact.

If these parents are so bad that the cast of Jersey Shore has more influence on their kids than they do, than moving won't change that. FWIW, I see a lot of kids and teens in my neighborhood everyday and they don't appear to be influenced by Jersey Shore in the least.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i dont think that the people on the show are in any way good representatives of how jersey girls are. in fact, most jersey shore characters dont even live in new jersey. my daughter will grow up according to the old jersey girl stereotype and she will live up to it. a rich stuck up daddy's girl that drives a fancy car and knows how to dress and shop. thats a jersey girl.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Of course some teens will be influenced by the show. Teenagers are more influenced by other teens/peers then they are by their parents. Besides teenagers are much smarter than their parents. If you don't believe me just ask your teenager.
By the time a teenager reaches forty they finally realize just how smart their parents were.
Remember back in the sixties when we were told not to trust anybody over thirty. I think that thinking probably holds true today.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
I have a New TV show next door called the Jersey Whores , not even 21 yet and have slept with half the town...

Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I have a New TV show next door called the Jersey Whores , not even 21 yet and have slept with half the town...
you are just upset you are in the wrong half.

also, that term is offensive.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are just upset you are in the wrong half.

also, that term is offensive.
Wrong Half ? Its not a offensive term , get with the 21st Century....

Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Wrong Half ? Its not a offensive term , get with the 21st Century....
no? go to any woman and call her that and see what her response is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey