Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 22,789 times

Advertisements

The realtors tell us that we can park in one of the train station's lots, but when I look on Montclair's website, there seems to be between a 2-5 year waiting list for a parking permit.

Does anyone know if you can park at the Glen Ridge train station? I'm aware of the Jitney, but I would prefer the flexibility of driivng to the station on my own.

How are the trains from Montclair / GR? Are they generally on time? Do you get a seat?

Does anyone have any feedback on the Decamp buses?

Any info would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Yep, the realtors are lying. I think the waiting lists are a lie too and there's actually essentially zero turnover aside from backdoor deals, but that's another question.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 14,539 times
I agree, the realtor is not telling the truth. Parking around the train stations in either Montclair or Glen Ridge is very difficult for the reasons already mentioned. Decamp is preferred by many. You could do street parking to catch the bus that drives down Alexander in Montclair.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 22,789 times
I had a feeling. I guess we will be limiting our search to houses within walking distance to the trains.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:46 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
I know at least some of the train stations in Montclair have daily parking, but you'll need to get there early to get one of those spots. My neighbor gets daily parking at the Bay St. train station. Also, I know there is a large parking deck at the Montclair State University station. I called there about a year ago and they told me spots were available (either daily or permit, I'm don't remember).

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,710 times
As a local realtor I can tell you parking permits are very hard to come by. As mentioned your best bets are Montclair State and Bay St as they have parking decks. There is a small secondary market for permits. The bus is a good option, but a long ride from the South end of town and you have the occasional loong ride due to weather/ accidents. The train and bus are walking distance from most places in town. The bus route is Harrison to Park to Upper Mtc village to valley to MtM Hebron to Grove. There is also a Grove st route and a Bloomfield Ave route. I'd say it may be worth it to pay the premium to be walking distance. A new Penn Station would make the commute much nicer. Some people that work downtown and live in the S end of town drive to Harrison and catch the Path. When I was a kid, we still had freight trains running through town and no one wanted to be that close to the train line.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:11 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,710 times
PS there is a jitney to the train that seems to have more customer satisfaction in GR than Montclair.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
You are better off not relying on the Realtor's knowledge when it comes to transportation and parking. It's simple enough to find out on your own. Click the "Rider Guide" tab on the NJ Transit website, and there is a link about parking. It shows where lots are at the train stations and gives the phone numbers to call and inquire about availability.

Yes, they could be lying, but they also might just not know.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphynxy99 View Post
The realtors tell us that we can park in one of the train station's lots, but when I look on Montclair's website, there seems to be between a 2-5 year waiting list for a parking permit.

Does anyone know if you can park at the Glen Ridge train station? I'm aware of the Jitney, but I would prefer the flexibility of driivng to the station on my own.

How are the trains from Montclair / GR? Are they generally on time? Do you get a seat?

Does anyone have any feedback on the Decamp buses?

Any info would be appreciated!
montclair has NJT lines 28,11 and 705/704 which go to the train the 28 and 705 however go to the monclair university trainstation and is free with a rail pass. NJT 195 for going to NYC also accepts rail passes

Old 06-18-2011, 09:08 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
PS there is a jitney to the train that seems to have more customer satisfaction in GR than Montclair.
seriously the jitney is the way to go PM this guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey