Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,393 times

Advertisements

Instead of giving incorrect advice try knowing what you are talking about. In order for it to be a legal 3 family home there legally needs to be a meter for each individual unit. If there are only 2 meters for the units and a 3rd meter labeled home, that means the basement is not legal.

As the apartment is not legal, he has no legal ability to rent the unit out in the first place, let alone try and increase the rent mid-lease by 15% (which also is not legal as rent can only be increased at the onset of a new lease being accepted).

In situations where there are older homes that only have 1 meter, the landlord is responsible for the gas and the tenant would only be responsible for electric (ie, heat and hot water included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaR1319c View Post
You signed up to pay 1/3 of utilities, not what you used. So even though you didn't use your gas or AC, the other tenants did, and you are paying 1/3.

It sounds like the landlord did not make any mistake so don't listen to any suggestions trying to cause trouble for him as in calling an inspector. You will get evicted.

If the place is worth the increase stay where you are, if not move.

There is no law that states each apartment has to have it's own meter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygeek View Post
Yes, it has been mentioned in my lease that I'll be responsible for paying for one-third of the utilities. When I signed the lease, the landlord told me that for water and sewer, there is just one bill for the entire building and it will be split amongst 3 and there is a separate meter for each floor.
I have tried discussing with my landlord. That didn't work out. He now wants to increase the rent by 15% next month. If not, he asked me to vacate the apartment.
I don't want to be evicted because, it will be in the public eviction record for another 10 years and I won't be able to rent any other apartment.

Depending on the town where you live, the apartment may be illegal and thus the landlord will not succeed in evicting you in court. I believe the cap in NJ for rent increase is 5%, its been a while since I rented that amount my have changed. I would suggest looking for someplace else to live. You should not be paying for sewer and water, sounds to me like your renting from a shady slum landlord.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 773 times
Jerseygeek,

I was researching some pseg issues and I have a feeling I am living in this apartment. How can we chat?

Can you email me. Eirigurl@hotmail.com

Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,858 times
NJ does not have a cap for rent increases.

See page 40 .

https://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/Pages/Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf

Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,260 times
Hi. I have noticed that when my house lights go off so does part of the basement lights.. I've been told that part seems to be connected to my meter.. what can I do?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:26 PM

63 posts, read 115,940 times
1. Have PSE&G come out to your home.
2. The owner needs to show you his C.O (certificate of occupancy).
3.Have a building inspector come out to your home.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,260 times
What can I do if it shows that I've been paying for it?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 AM

180 posts, read 344,812 times
Why not have a chat with the zoning officer - don't tell him where you live, just say "I am trying to find out if this type of apartment is legal or not". If he says "NO" then I would have a chat with the landlord. Tell him you found out the apartment is illegal - that you don't want to report him, but raising the rent and not straightening out the utility bill situation "may force you" to find another place to live - and to report his illegal apartment !!!!

In some towns - there is a heavy fine for illegal apartments and the Judge makes the property owner come back to Court and makes the zoning officer has to submit pictures that all the illegal improvements are GONE. That can be kitchen, bathroom, etc. I guess since in most cases they weren't permitted in the first place - out they go!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey