Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil998 View Post
So I'd rather be taxed to death than have to deal with a lot beggars, hustlers, rampant homelessness, and hungry children running through the streets.
When the US starts taking care of it's own as opposed to spending billions of dollars taking care of others, this will never happen.

Do you donate money to the point that your kids suffer?

I bet you don't.

This country shouldn't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
There's a lessor/lessee confidentiality law?

Never heard of it. Wouldn't both parties have to sign one?

You need to take your politics to the political board.

Which "industrialized" world, or country would that be? Again, you need to take your political junk on over to the political board. Get ready to get roasted because reality sucks.

That made no sense, but at the same time, you need to get over yourself. I don't see anyone complaining about those who NEED a leg up or extra help because they fell on hard times and can't help themselves for right now, or those who NEVER will be able to. This is WHY welfare and all the social programs were created. To help SHORT TERM for those who fall on hard times and also to help those who can't ever help themselves.

The real problem is that it's become a generational failsafe issue. Generations after generations happily living off of others tax dollars. Why do you not see this with the people you "help"? You only see the "good ones"? The ones who just try, try, try and can't get ahead? I doubt it.

The ISSUE lies with the generational handouts. Nothing is stopping them from getting a job. They aren't disabled, they just don't WANNA get up and go to work. Why should they? They're fine living the life they live and off of others, and so are their 50 year old great grandparents. It's normal to them.

You need to get out there in the big bad world, and meet the families who take advantage.

You act like that doesn't exist when it actually runs rampant.

I'm a LL and will never rent to section 8'ers. NEVER.

I own a business where I deal with the scum bags who rape the system, and have, for decades.

It's not all "poor you", not for everyone. Sometimes it's actually "WTF" is wrong with you, you lazy, lazy, lazy user?

Charlie Brown Teacher Speaking - YouTube

Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 AM

24 posts, read 57,203 times
Quote:
Why is that?

Because the "younger" generation is used to getting things handed to them, not having to work for them.

Count your pennies and pay your dues. Get used to it.

Everyone else had to, who wasn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
Oh, is that so? Coming from an Immigrant family and being raised in Irvington most of my childhood, I definitely did not have things just handed to me. And although our family climbed up the economic ladder to eventually living in a place like West Orange and then eventually down here in Florida, my parents still made sure not to spoil me and made me work for most of the things I need. My current scholarship to attend school here at the University of South Florida was not just "handed to me." And I'm working here at the school while still attending full-time. I had to work real hard in school to get here and also work against the significant social pressures of being a "nerdy black kid" in both a mostly black school and mostly white school.

Trust me, I know what hard work can bring a person. But to think that hard work alone gives people economic mobility can almost be laughed at. I can acknowledge that for my family, we also happened to be in the right places in the right time to make our moves. Trust me, there are PLENTY of hard working people families in the urban areas of North Jersey; they honestly couldn't survive without working hard the way COL living is in Jersey. But like a hamster on a wheel, they work hard as hell, but unfortunately don't make any progress because of other societal factors that prevent economic mobility, especially for people of color.

On another note, statistics show that younger generations work just as hard as previous generations, so we do in fact, work to get what we need. I guess people see us as lazy because the unemployment rate for younger people is 17.6%! You should see more of the numbers here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/we...ates.html?_r=0

Quote:
When the US starts taking care of it's own as opposed to spending billions of dollars taking care of others, this will never happen.

Do you donate money to the point that your kids suffer?

I bet you don't.

This country shouldn't either.
I agree that we should be spending money to take care of our own first. But if we weren't involved in so many foreign affairs, we wouldn't need to be spending all that money to take care of others.

But first, I don't have kids. Second, yes I don't donate money to the point of my suffering because I don't have much money myself. I do volunteer sometimes on Sundays at a place here in Tampa. But again, I guess I could do more. And don't get it twisted, I'm no angel and I don't claim to have every good intention at heart. But I don't sit here with the mindset that people's struggle is entirely their fault, so I do think this country should contribute to the well being of it's people. If we don't, we will simply fall apart, which is what I think we are seeing in this country anyways...

Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Oh, is that so? Coming from an Immigrant family and being raised in Irvington most of my childhood, I definitely did not have things just handed to me. And although our family climbed up the economic ladder to eventually living in a place like West Orange and then eventually down here in Florida, my parents still made sure not to spoil me and made me work for most of the things I need. My current scholarship to attend school here at the University of South Florida was not just "handed to me." And I'm working here at the school while still attending full-time. I had to work real hard in school to get here and also work against the significant social pressures of being a "nerdy black kid" in both a mostly black school and mostly white school.

Trust me, I know what hard work can bring a person. But to think that hard work alone gives people economic mobility can almost be laughed at. I can acknowledge that for my family, we also happened to be in the right places in the right time to make our moves. Trust me, there are PLENTY of hard working people families in the urban areas of North Jersey; they honestly couldn't survive without working hard the way COL living is in Jersey. But like a hamster on a wheel, they work hard as hell, but unfortunately don't make any progress because of other societal factors that prevent economic mobility, especially for people of color.

On another note, statistics show that younger generations work just as hard as previous generations, so we do in fact, work to get what we need. I guess people see us as lazy because the unemployment rate for younger people is 17.6%! You should see more of the numbers here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/we...ates.html?_r=0

I agree that we should be spending money to take care of our own first. But if we weren't involved in so many foreign affairs, we wouldn't need to be spending all that money to take care of others.

But first, I don't have kids. Second, yes I don't donate money to the point of my suffering because I don't have much money myself. I do volunteer sometimes on Sundays at a place here in Tampa. But again, I guess I could do more. And don't get it twisted, I'm no angel and I don't claim to have every good intention at heart. But I don't sit here with the mindset that people's struggle is entirely their fault, so I do think this country should contribute to the well being of it's people. If we don't, we will simply fall apart, which is what I think we are seeing in this country anyways...
I guess Sawdust doesn't know that the money that goes to foreign aid is less than 1% of the budget, and MOST of that money goes to a developed nation, ISRAEL, who has America in its pocket! The bulk of the budget goes to the military, and NOT to our soldiers either. If he would actually get information from authentic sources, and not FAUX News, he'd know that. No wonder we score low in education compared to the top 20 developed nations(17 or 18).

Kudos to you for making it despite the hurdles. I know what its like being the nerdy foreign kids in both minority schools, and white majority schools. The middle class white kids, sprinkled with a few trailer trash here & there were worse IMO, but that's a completely different story. WE EARNED our achievements, my mom & dad couldn't afford to BUY them. No legacy admissions for me or my siblings.

People see what they want, especially many folks on city-data, but E.O's problem, and the problems of any inner city are much deeper than what some here will have us believe.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
I expected nothing less.

Easier to not deal with reality.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:

Because the "younger" generation is used to getting things handed to them, not having to work for them.

Count your pennies and pay your dues. Get used to it.

Everyone else had to, who wasn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth.
Quote:
Oh, is that so? Coming from an Immigrant family and being raised in Irvington most of my childhood, I definitely did not have things just handed to me.
I should have said: "Everyone else had AND has to, who wasn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth"

My unintentional misspeak.

Quote:
I never said that all hardworking people don't get the shaft. This is who social programs were created for. I'm pretty sure I said that. But not to LIVE off of generation after generation. And come on: certain "social factors" especially for people of color, have more doors open to them than those from the island of Caucasia. Or is it a country? When is the last time someone got a scholarship for just being "white" to fill a "need" at an institution of higher learning? Or in a corporate environment? Or as a civil servant?

One of my sons best friends just got a full scholarship to a boarding school in New England. Why? Not because of his grades or athleticism. Because he's a person of color. I'm friends with his mom...I went through the entire process with her. Instead of spending $35K per year for HS at the school the kids currently attend, that she could completely afford, she took full advantage of the color of her kids skin for whatever "minority" need the school needed to fill....and look what happened? Full ride and to the tune of $60K per year. When people from Caucasia are considered the minority, maybe they can get neat deals like that too. Like I said, he's no athlete and he's no genius (at least compared to his peers in the private school he has attended since Kindergarten).

Quote:
We should, absolutely! And we should be getting out of every other countries business. Earthquake? Sorry! Call Canada. If they don't pick up try England/France/Germany/Switzerland/the Netherlands/Spain/Portugal/Italy/Israel/Poland/Hungary.....

Quote:
This country DOES contribute to the well being of it's people. It's called taxes. From there we get welfare, home heating assistance/section 8 housing/food cards/medicaid/WIC....and then people donate to food banks, good will, salvation army, charities to help those in need....

Where this country falters is when those who need it, don't want to live off it, can't GET it. While others who'd rather have a bat taken to their leg (no lie) to collect disability and unemployment get it. And then there are those who won't (I know plenty of these folks) get out of bed for a job that is "beneath" them. Meaning less than $15/hr - and they MIGHT have a GED. Because ZERO dollars an hour makes so much more sense. And maybe it does, because once they start earning money, some of their freebies will go away.

That's the great divide.

People don't want to risk losing what they have and some are willing to live in crap rather than stop having kids, get a FT job anywhere and not have the gov't paycheck to turn to every month.

The system is broken and needs to be fixed. We don't need a new system to the tune of a few trillion, we need to fix what we have.

Tossing more money at it isn't going to change the same old, same old, that's been going on for decades.

There has to be some accountability put in to play.

This is what those who don't KNOW the reality of what actually happens and goes on, really shouldn't Charlie Brown it.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
I guess Sawdust doesn't know that the money that goes to foreign aid is less than 1% of the budget, and MOST of that money goes to a developed nation, ISRAEL, who has America in its pocket! The bulk of the budget goes to the military, and NOT to our soldiers either. If he would actually get information from authentic sources, and not FAUX News, he'd know that. No wonder we score low in education compared to the top 20 developed nations(17 or 18).
So IS there a lessee/lessor confidentiality law?

Who said anything about foreign aid?

It isn't reality if you don't want it to be?

It isn't TRUE if you haven't dealt with it?

It isn't the way it is if CNN or NPR says it's not?

"Faux News". Grow up.

Quote:
People see what they want, especially many folks on city-data, but E.O's problem, and the problems of any inner city are much deeper than what some here will have us believe.
You SURE do see only what you want to.

And only respond to what you want to.....and insert topics never discussed to deflect.

Why do you keep making references to "city-data" like it's a bad thing. Do you NOT understand you are one of those "folks" on city-data?

You should start posting on the Politics board. But you will both get your arse handed to you as well as applauded: if you can take it as opposed to Charlie Browning it.

You might learn something or change someone's mind.

Grow a set and take your politics where they will be challenged.

If you can't, there's always the Great Debates forum.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-01-2013 at 12:25 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
So IS there a lessee/lessor confidentiality law?

Who said anything about foreign aid?

It isn't reality if you don't want it to be?

It isn't TRUE if you haven't dealt with it?

It isn't the way it is if CNN or NPR says it's not?

"Faux News". Grow up.

You SURE do see only what you want to.

And only respond to what you want to.....and insert topics never discussed to deflect.

Why do you keep making references to "city-data" like it's a bad thing. Do you NOT understand you are one of those "folks" on city-data?

You should start posting on the Politics board. But you will both get your arse handed to you as well as applauded: if you can take it as opposed to Charlie Browning it.

You might learn something or change someone's mind.

Grow a set and take your politics where they will be challenged.

If you can't, there's always the Great Debates forum.
WAMP WAMP WAMP WAMP, WAMP WAMP WAMP WAMP.....
YOU brought politics into this. I was responding to another person who brought POLITICS into a topic about EAST ORANGE. The issue is EAST ORANGE! I'm not deflecting, just trying to stick to the topic. I'd never go to the politics forum because its a dead end street debating with unreasonable people. I've been forewarned about that forum, and especially the religion forum. NO THANKS, I don't need or want the headache! BTW, I do NOT post to change ANYONE's mind. Never been the type to force feed people what they should believe or think. I only post my views so others who hold the same views know they're not alone. Its been working out fine, and I'm happy that it makes people feel better to know there are like-minded people in the world.
Now if you have some TRUE inforation about EAST ORANGE, then type away. If not, deuces buddy!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
All I said was that Sec 8 renters bring down property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey