Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 AM
KC8 KC8 started this thread

40 posts, read 148,341 times

Advertisements

Job is in Horsham/WillowGrove, PA. Currently we are renting in North Jersey. We are considering moving to either central/south jersey or Doylestown, PA and buying a house there. We have two kids in elementary.
Can you help us with few questions:
-Overall, How is buying house, public schools, taxes, etc & settling down in general compare with Central/south Jersey v/s Doylestown, PA
- In Central/South Jersey we were thinking, Lawrenceville, South brunswick. How are these two areas in terms of housing, public schools, etc.
- What other neighborhoods in NJ you would recommend & why.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
I'm a Jersey girl, transplanted to PA as an adult. My advice would be to lean towards Doylestown. Schools are excellent, lots of amenities and stores near by, proximity to Philadelphia, great higher education system (universities and colleges for your children to choose from). Taxes and housing will be similar, but I find South Brunswick and Lawrenceville and the other areas (West Windsor, Plainsboro) to be so densely populated that traffic is a nightmare, you have to drive every where~open land is at a premium.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,474 times
I can't give you any info on Doylestown as I've never been there.

I grew up in South Brunswick - the schools there are great, that taxes are lower there than in most other towns locally for the same style/price range of homes. Your dollar will likely go a little further in Lawrenceville though.

NJ is NJ - there's traffic everywhere - it is what it is. If you like Jersey not much else compares (I've been all over the country and world). If you are thinking South Brunswick and Lawrenceville I would also look into Hamilton, North Brunswick, East Brunswick, Robbinsville and Hamilton. Each town I mentioned is very different from the other and I'm certain you'll be happy with one of them.

Good Luck!

Joey

Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 AM

133 posts, read 330,821 times
I'd go for the Doylestown/Bucks County area as well. I've worked in the Willow Grove area in the past, and thought it was very nice, especially around the Fort Washington and Bensalem areas. Plus, you have easy access to the King of Prussia shopping mall. Being a PA resident, as the other poster said, you will have better access and discounts to the state universities, like Penn State.

You should also pose this question in the Philadelphia section of the City Data board, if you consider moving there instead of NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey