Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,711 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Jersey City and are looking for places to rent a little further south. My husband will be working in Freehold and I work in Newark. We would like to spend no more than 1700/month. We don't need good public schools since we don't have children yet.

We would like to live in a safe area that isn't in the middle of no where and is close to either a downtown area or a mall with things to do.

Neither of us are familiar with Central New Jersey and are having a hard time finding places to look for apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 PM

360 posts, read 1,015,147 times
For Newark, look off train lines because driving there from most of Central Jersey is a giant pain (actually being on ANY highway heading north from Central Jersey in the morning is annoying). Freehold, on the other hand, is best driven to.

The upside is that Central Jersey is a MUCH cheaper place to live than Jersey City so your budget will go pretty far down here (In most parts of Central Jersey you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for less than $1700)

Red Bank might be a good option for you since you don't care about school districts and are coming from JC. It's got a lot of little shops/restaurants/a downtown and a lot of the area is walkable, plus there's a train station.

I'd also look into the Aberdeen/Matawan area (and areas of Old Bridge nearby.)

Freehold gets tough to get to from the west (unless you're off 33 in say, Manalapan) so I'd stick with Monmouth County or far southeastern Middlesex.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,060,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirr View Post
My husband and I currently live in Jersey City and are looking for places to rent a little further south. My husband will be working in Freehold and I work in Newark. We would like to spend no more than 1700/month. We don't need good public schools since we don't have children yet.

We would like to live in a safe area that isn't in the middle of no where and is close to either a downtown area or a mall with things to do.

Neither of us are familiar with Central New Jersey and are having a hard time finding places to look for apartments.
I think Woodbridge and/or Edison would be good picks; they are central NJ (or the southern tip of north NJ depending how you look at it). Both have train stations and Metropark in the vicinity. Both have malls on the Rt. 1 strip (Menlo and Woodbridge malls) and both are fairly safe.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I think Woodbridge and/or Edison would be good picks; they are central NJ (or the southern tip of north NJ depending how you look at it). Both have train stations and Metropark in the vicinity. Both have malls on the Rt. 1 strip (Menlo and Woodbridge malls) and both are fairly safe.
The only downside to this is that Freehold is a bit inconvenient to get to from there. It's probably close to 45 minutes, particularly if you're coming from the more northern side of Edison.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:37 AM

85 posts, read 214,647 times
I agree with lilyflower, look into the aberdeen-matawan area and holmdel and middletown. (Middletown has a next apartment complex near Red Bank which is right near a whole foods)

Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 PM

I was going to suggest Holmdel/Middletown (both with train stations) but honestly am not that familiar with either myself. Walking distance to a train station is ideal (as parking at a lot of stations is limited and often requires a multi-year waitlist) but I know there's some stations that are better than others with regards to parking and there MIGHT be buses that go to the station that way from various towns/areas which can widen your search area a little. I don't know how most of those stations off the NJ Coast Line work with regards to that so someone else I'm sure can give better tips.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 24,653 times
what about Rahway? Its a quick train ride to Newark (both train lines), and a straight shot down Route 9 to Freehold, and the drive would be going opposite rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey