Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,996 times

Advertisements

We are going to be in the hoboken area on the way to long island for a ball tournament. my daughter very much would like to stop at carlos bakery. We are travelling in our rv which is 29 feet long. Is there anywhere that we could park it nearby. The other alternative is that we are staying at libery rv park and can take transportation there if we have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times
You would have to find parking on the street which is going to be very difficult in an RV. There is a parking lot about 2 blocks away but I am not sure if they will park an RV. Get there early because the lines get out of control...and honestly I can give you the names of much bakeries in the area. Carlo's is a lot of hype and not a lot of bang for your buck IMO.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
You would have to find parking on the street which is going to be very difficult in an RV. There is a parking lot about 2 blocks away but I am not sure if they will park an RV. Get there early because the lines get out of control...and honestly I can give you the names of much bakeries in the area. Carlo's is a lot of hype and not a lot of bang for your buck IMO.
People don't go to Carlo's for the sweets, they go to see the place that they watch on TV. Like it or not the show is huge success and it has little to do with the quality of the cakes. It's about the personality of everyone who works there. That's why there are long lines.

As for parking, there is nothing in Hoboken for an RV. One idea would be to park at the A&P/ Target in Newport(18th st and Marin Blvd) and call a cab. It would be like $6. You could walk from there but there aren't sidewalks the whole way and it would takes about 15 minutes each way.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 AM

I am well aware why people go there...but it still boggles my mind that people would rather spend big bucks on sub-par cakes and pastries in a shop where (and this is my personal experience only) the staff can be somewhat rude and unwilling/wanting to help their customers vs. going to a bakery that has great food, lower prices, super nice staff but is not on tv.

I would rather quality over what you get at Carlo's anyday...and this is after sampling their baked goods on numerous occassions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
People don't go to Carlo's for the sweets, they go to see the place that they watch on TV. Like it or not the show is huge success and it has little to do with the quality of the cakes. It's about the personality of everyone who works there. That's why there are long lines.

As for parking, there is nothing in Hoboken for an RV. One idea would be to park at the A&P/ Target in Newport(18th st and Marin Blvd) and call a cab. It would be like $6. You could walk from there but there aren't sidewalks the whole way and it would takes about 15 minutes each way.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
I wouldn't want to even drive a 29 ft RV around the block in Hoboken, no less try to find parking for one.
And, as others have said, Carlo's is just a somewhat-better-than-average (albeit overpriced) bakery, and is most definitely NOT worth going out of your way for.

Save yourself a whole lot of unnecessary hassle and forget the idea of going to Carlo's.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
While i wouldn't go to Carlo's , i wouldn't def check out Hoboken's Washington Street and the Waterfront.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Carlo's is DEFINITELY worth going out of your way for, especially if you are a fan of the show. It's not often your daughter will get the opportunity to be on the set of a popular TV show(watched by over a million people each week). It's worth it for the one picture you'll get of her at the counter.

Don't listen to the naysayers and Hoboken "insiders" who can tell you where to get a better Cannoli, they'll never get it. See my comment above. it's definitely the easiest/best plan for parking.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 PM

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, and I am not a Hoboken insider....but you would not catch me standing in line for 2 hours to walk into a bakery that is so crowded that you are not able to move or even get to the counter.

But to eah his own....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Carlo's is DEFINITELY worth going out of your way for, especially if you are a fan of the show. It's not often your daughter will get the opportunity to be on the set of a popular TV show(watched by over a million people each week). It's worth it for the one picture you'll get of her at the counter.

Don't listen to the naysayers and Hoboken "insiders" who can tell you where to get a better Cannoli, they'll never get it. See my comment above. it's definitely the easiest/best plan for parking.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
Wow, I think everyone is missing the point.
The OP'er is not asking advice as to whether he should go or not.
Clearly this is something his daughter really wants to do, and he is being a good father and obliging.
All the poor guy asked was where to park his RV.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Wow, I think everyone is missing the point.
The OP'er is not asking advice as to whether he should go or not.
Clearly this is something his daughter really wants to do, and he is being a good father and obliging.
All the poor guy asked was where to park his RV.
Which I told him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey