Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Another reason why I usually vote the opposite of who the Unions are backing.
In other words, straight Republican ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In other words, straight Republican ticket

Not quite. Not all other parties believe in Unions.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:19 PM
RNG

31 posts, read 129,911 times
Default need more info, please

OK, I started a thread regarding NJ taxes that turned rather, uh, ugly... I have found some good info on this thread regarding why our taxes are so high. But can someone please tell me how OTHER states pay for things like schools, roads, trash pick-up, etc.? If their taxes are so much lower, how can they pay for all the same things we have? Who gets this extra money that we spend? The corrupt politicians? The Board of Ed? I just don't get it. Aren't other states corrupt, too?

I am so tired of NJ. I love it here, but I don't think I can afford to live here any longer.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
OK, I started a thread regarding NJ taxes that turned rather, uh, ugly... I have found some good info on this thread regarding why our taxes are so high. But can someone please tell me how OTHER states pay for things like schools, roads, trash pick-up, etc.? If their taxes are so much lower, how can they pay for all the same things we have? Who gets this extra money that we spend? The corrupt politicians? The Board of Ed? I just don't get it. Aren't other states corrupt, too?

I am so tired of NJ. I love it here, but I don't think I can afford to live here any longer.
if you don't mind, how much are your taxes? i ask only because it appears you live in what i would think is an area with low(er) property taxes - such as our friend Shanlynn who's desperately trying to sell her house - from one post her taxes are $3300, which to me is very reasonable just about anywhere.

where were you thinking of relocating to?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
if you don't mind, how much are your taxes? i ask only because it appears you live in what i would think is an area with low(er) property taxes - such as our friend Shanlynn who's desperately trying to sell her house - from one post her taxes are $3300, which to me is very reasonable just about anywhere.

where were you thinking of relocating to?
Tahiti, Reasonable yes, but look at the Sq footage of her home. I pay about that $3500, but I have 4200sq feet.
Her's is a nice home, but mine is 4 sides brick, Mcmansion.
She also lives miles from NYC where employment is. I know Little Egg Harbor a lot, its a nice town, and I know people there, but its not near city services.
In Manalapan the taxes on a house that size with the new reassement would be about $6000.
Where I live in TN, off a country road, its only about 15-20 min to downtown. To my husbands place of Business, Main Office, "HE used to work in their NYC office which was smaller", 25 min and he drives and parks under building. Most major businesses here are in a corporate park.Nissan has temp headquarters all over city until their office is built in the Cool Springs Area. A separate exit off I-65 to their building is in the finishing stages now.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post

It comes back to other states having a higher amount of budget surplus to fund the schools at a state level, coupled with less municipalities, which lead to more salaries plus administrative overhead. Here is a statistic for you: NJ has the highest per pupil expenditure in the country, but ranks 49th (behind only NY) for the amount of $$ that actually makes it to the classroom (books, computers, other resources etc), in other words, the overhead is so vast, the per pupil expenditure total is actually a specious total if you want to gauge it as a means of justifying how much your child actually realizes in the form of direct services the school provides to them. You have to pay superintendents, principals, custodians, IT staffing, etc in addition to the teachers salaries. There are 608 school districts in the state. It reaks of graft. One of these districts (Teterboro) has no students, however, there are still employees on their payroll. How does one justify this?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
One of these districts (Teterboro) has no students, however, there are still employees on their payroll. How does one justify this?

OMG!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Tahiti, Reasonable yes, but look at the Sq footage of her home. I pay about that $3500, but I have 4200sq feet.
Her's is a nice home, but mine is 4 sides brick, Mcmansion.
She also lives miles from NYC where employment is. I know Little Egg Harbor a lot, its a nice town, and I know people there, but its not near city services.
In Manalapan the taxes on a house that size with the new reassement would be about $6000.
Where I live in TN, off a country road, its only about 15-20 min to downtown. To my husbands place of Business, Main Office, "HE used to work in their NYC office which was smaller", 25 min and he drives and parks under building. Most major businesses here are in a corporate park.Nissan has temp headquarters all over city until their office is built in the Cool Springs Area. A separate exit off I-65 to their building is in the finishing stages now.
Comparing NJ to TN is like comparing apples to oranges
Sure you get a bigger house, less taxes but for the most part the wages are LESS as well so unless you are retired, mortgage free it's all relative.

In addition in most southern states you have to contract for your own garbage pick up, some charge you to recycle...hmmmm...throwing it in the trash is going to be cheaper

Law enforcement usually has very low wages hence they have a real hard time recruiting the cream of the crop.

It all balances out somehow.....sure it's expensive here but wages for the most part are decent...hey we aere over crowded so there must be a bunch of us making it

Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 42,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Yes it would, but the Unions would never let it happen.
When you join a NJ union you aren't legally entitled to a pension.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Comparing NJ to TN is like comparing apples to oranges

It all balances out somehow.....sure it's expensive here but wages for the most part are decent...hey we aere over crowded so there must be a bunch of us making it
Not to mention, when you retire here, you can either stay or you can move anywhere you want and probably have a lot of extra cash from the sale of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey