Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
nnz

2 posts, read 5,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Tahiti, Reasonable yes, but look at the Sq footage of her home. I pay about that $3500, but I have 4200sq feet.
Her's is a nice home, but mine is 4 sides brick, Mcmansion.
She also lives miles from NYC where employment is. I know Little Egg Harbor a lot, its a nice town, and I know people there, but its not near city services.
In Manalapan the taxes on a house that size with the new reassement would be about $6000.
Where I live in TN, off a country road, its only about 15-20 min to downtown. To my husbands place of Business, Main Office, "HE used to work in their NYC office which was smaller", 25 min and he drives and parks under building. Most major businesses here are in a corporate park.Nissan has temp headquarters all over city until their office is built in the Cool Springs Area. A separate exit off I-65 to their building is in the finishing stages now.
-___-||| you sure you know what you are talking about? one of my friend lives in TN and her big house is only at $250k sth. But with that amount of money what can you get in Northern NJ?
I went to visit some Newport, Hoboken, and Jersey City high-rise condos two months ago. The cheapest one br apt which is around 700 sq ft is around $450k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Not to mention, when you retire here, you can either stay or you can move anywhere you want and probably have a lot of extra cash from the sale of your home.

i'm sure those ex-residents who dislike NJ sure weren't complaining when they plunked down 70-80% of the purchase price of their new home.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:25 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm sure those ex-residents who dislike NJ sure weren't complaining when they plunked down 70-80% of the purchase price of their new home.
I sure didn't! Though for me, it was only about 40%. But then again, I sold from Burlington County, which, I found out, does not translate into North Jersey real estate. The two halves of the state are like different worlds in that regard.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:39 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnz View Post
-___-||| you sure you know what you are talking about? one of my friend lives in TN and her big house is only at $250k sth. But with that amount of money what can you get in Northern NJ?
I went to visit some Newport, Hoboken, and Jersey City high-rise condos two months ago. The cheapest one br apt which is around 700 sq ft is around $450k.
Yes, there are houses that Price in TN but not in Prime Areas, Brentwood or Franlin, You can get that either furthur from Town or in Murfreesboro. I mean you can get houses for $60,000 with 5 acres of land but you'll be out in the country. I may just buy some land there for speculation.
I think her house is nice but you need to work locally to live there. My friend that lives there is a nurse, so local.
In Manalapan you get a Mt Laural trailor for that price.
Diane

Old 08-15-2007, 05:44 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I sure didn't! Though for me, it was only about 40%. But then again, I sold from Burlington County, which, I found out, does not translate into North Jersey real estate. The two halves of the state are like different worlds in that regard.
Mike , Momouth County isn't cheap either and Towns like Marlboro, Manalapan, Freehold, Colts Neck reak Mega property taxes. Can you believe only 1/2 day Kindergaten. With those school taxes you would think a full day, as we have here.
Diane, Music City

Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
RNG

31 posts, read 129,978 times
Quote:
if you don't mind, how much are your taxes? i ask only because it appears you live in what i would think is an area with low(er) property taxes - such as our friend Shanlynn who's desperately trying to sell her house - from one post her taxes are $3300, which to me is very reasonable just about anywhere.

where were you thinking of relocating to?
My taxes are $4200 and my home is assessed at $86k. I have less than 1100 sq. ft., one small bathroom, 3 small bedrooms, and a tiny yard. My home is 100 years old. My taxes are lower than North Jersey, but they are still high for what I have. I share a driveway with my neighbor and unless we park one behind the other we can't both use the driveway. If one of us parks on the street we may be ticketed due to the asinine law that forbids street parking between the hours of 2 - 6 a.m. We take our chances. I share my little yard with another neighbor who never, ever cleans up after their dogs. They also do not mow their weeds (they have no grass) so I spend 50% of my summer weeding my garden. I know that has nothing to do with taxes, but it is taxing for me - pardon the pun. If I had a nice-sized and attractive home with my own yard and driveway in my town, my taxes could be around $6-8k. And my town is reassessing all homes in the next year and my taxes could and probably will go up again. Nearby Haddon Heights was just reassessed and some people's taxes went up $5000+. They are hysterical. I could just cry.

I am looking to move to NY state in the future. I *know* their taxes are comparable to NJ, but I can get a lot more house and land there for the same taxes as I am paying now. And if I sold my house here I could buy this home with little to no mortgage (yes, thank you NJ for the higher property values... at least that's something). Lower wages would all right in that case. I could also have a better space to live in and more natural beauty. And no, I don't mind the cold and snow. Why am I not there now? Because my mom has Alzheimers and I am taking care of her. I am really feeling the financial crunch because I have to work part-time to be able to care for her and am at poverty level. When and if Medicaid is approved (her income is $1.66 over the state income cap and so she cannot get regular Medicaid) and I can find a decent nursing home to take her, I can then work full-time. Even then, I can't leave because I can't just leave her here in NJ alone. So, I will be here for a while. I just hope my house is not up for a tax sale or in foreclosure by then! Sorry for the ramble, but that's my deal.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
My taxes are $4200 and my home is assessed at $86k. I have less than 1100 sq. ft., one small bathroom, 3 small bedrooms, and a tiny yard. My home is 100 years old. My taxes are lower than North Jersey, but they are still high for what I have. I share a driveway with my neighbor and unless we park one behind the other we can't both use the driveway.
thanks for responding. i do agree your taxes are too high for what you have. best of luck to you.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Mike , Momouth County isn't cheap either and Towns like Marlboro, Manalapan, Freehold, Colts Neck reak Mega property taxes. Can you believe only 1/2 day Kindergaten. With those school taxes you would think a full day, as we have here.
Diane, Music City
When I lived in Northern NJ, I used to consider Manalapan to be South Jersey, or at the very least, central NJ. After having lived in South Jersey for 4 years, I came to the realization that when it comes to real estate, market values are segmented by virtue of what 'orbit' the town lies in. Manalapan,(Monmouth County) people identify/associate clearly with the NYC orbit. In Burlington County, it's more tied into Philadelphia, and thus too, the real estate prices. In fact, the I-195 corridor might very well delineate the markets when it comes to real estate pricing.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
RNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
When I lived in Northern NJ, I used to consider Manalapan to be South Jersey, or at the very least, central NJ. After having lived in South Jersey for 4 years, I came to the realization that when it comes to real estate, market values are segmented by virtue of what 'orbit' the town lies in. Manalapan,(Monmouth County) people identify/associate clearly with the NYC orbit. In Burlington County, it's more tied into Philadelphia, and thus too, the real estate prices. In fact, the I-195 corridor might very well delineate the markets when it comes to real estate pricing.
I agree with Mike - Burlington County is the cut-off for south Jersey and I think some areas of that county are seen by southerners as central or north. I know I consider Trenton and Princeton as north, although it is central. We don't really identify with NYC at all. We consider Philadelphia as our own in many ways. I don't even know where Manalapan is or what it's like!

My house could have sold for about $75k 5 years ago and now it's worth about $180k. Friends have a tough time buying homes now for less than $250,000, and those are fixer-uppers.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM
RNG

Quote:
thanks for responding. i do agree your taxes are too high for what you have. best of luck to you.
Thanks, I appreciate that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey