Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM

117 posts, read 256,826 times

Advertisements

Okay y'all... I think we narrowed it down to possibly 2 towns. Thank you for all your help before!

Again, my DH will be commuting to NYC. Can anyone list the pros and cons of these 2 towns?

Oh, we're Protestant and would love to find a great church. Heard there are a couple good ones in new providence and chatham.

Montclair still might be in the loop, however we heard the traffic and
congestion of the area is a huge con.

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Two fantastic towns. Spend a day visiting each if possible. Red Bank is a little more artsy and has the proximity to the shore. I know a bunch of people from Madison and they seem to love it; people seem to really put down roots there.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:28 PM

151 posts, read 528,167 times
I live near Madison. It's a cute town with a great Main St. shopping. Traffic down Main St. is pretty heavy though.

I'm also Protestant and have tried a few churches around. There's one in Madison called New Life Fellowship: New Life Fellowship It used to be a baptist church. It's a nice little church, people were very nice. They had Sunday School for the kids and a modern band for a "contemporary" style service. I chose not to return only because for my family's needs, I was looking for a larger church.

I recently started attending Bethlehem Church in Randolph, ( Bethlehem Church / About Us / Home )which is a bit of a ride (about 20 min), but it's a larger church (I would guess around 100+ people in church), and seems to have a great Sunday School program and Children's Church during church service. It's a contemporary service as far as the music goes, although I wouldn't call them a real experienced bunch of singers, lol. But they try and the music is good - what you would hear on Star 99.1, christian radio station. They are part of the Evangelical Free Church I think. Really nice people too.

Madison has a train station, not sure if it's midtown direct, but Morristown, just up the road has a midtown direct.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Thank you! We'd like to find a church close to town... We're hoping to get involved in the community, go to Bible study, etc. I heard there's a big church in Chatham and a nice presbyterian church in new providence. Also, there's supposively a good church in Summit.

Where do you live, chaos mom? How far is Randolph from Madison?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Also, are the people friendly/down-to-earth in Madison?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks, halffull. We're looking for a place where people really put down roots. We live in manhattan now, so we're not getting too much of that.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,017 times
Check out Red Bank this weekend. There is some huge fair running from July 1st to the 3rd. and of course, the fireworks is on the 3rd, but that is really crowded.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygreg View Post
Check out Red Bank this weekend. There is some huge fair running from July 1st to the 3rd. and of course, the fireworks is on the 3rd, but that is really crowded.
It's KaboomFest!

Kaboomfest - Welcome

I really like Red Bank. I live close to it, but not in it.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 AM

151 posts, read 528,167 times
Bella, I'm in Whippany, just 2 towns over from Madison. It takes about 15-20 min. to get to Randolph from here, it's right on Rt. 10, so a straight shot. It may take you closer to 25 min. to get there.

I know it seems that the Presby churches seem to have the "market" around this area in Morris Co. There are plenty in the area, but I just was not comfortable there, since it's not what I grew up with.

If you are speaking of Long Hill Chapel in Chatham, I have not been there, but it seems to me I've heard good things about it. I believe it's a CMA church.

I'm not real familiar with Madison to know the people, but I think the general consensus is that it's a nice town with nice people. I get the feeling it can be a mixture of blue and white collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey