Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM

285 posts, read 868,757 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

What can you tell me about Jersey City Heights? I know that there are a lot of different neighborhoods in Jersey City that run the gaumt from to commercial to residential. But I have never been to or even heard of Jersey City Heights. I heard about a nice home there that is on or near Palisade/Jefferson Avenues. The inside of the home is quite lovely, but I don't know anything about the neighborhood. I want real, honest opinions from people who know the area well.
  • How is the commute to NYC? I consulted google maps and saw that there are buses that go straight to Port Authority or to the PATH train - the door-to-door commute to midtown would be 45-50 minutes (which isn't bad). But that's on paper - what is the commute really like...lol?
  • What is the makeup of the area? Are the neighborhoods mostly residential, commercial, combination? Renters, owners? Students? Families? Singles?
  • Is Jersey City Heights close to malls?
  • Do most people drive everywhere?
  • I think Jersey City is ethnically diverse. Is this true? And what about "the Heights"?
Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:20 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
1. There are a few bus lines that go to the PABT , you can access the PATH at Journal SQ , there's also a Light Rail at Congress Street.

2. Its mostly Residential , there are some Commercial streets like Central Ave. Just about everyone , Every Race , every income with the exception of the super rich lives in the Heights. There aren't many college students as Journal SQ , but there are a few towards the southern end of the Heights.

3. You can take the Light Rail from Congress to Newport , where the Newport Mall and other stores are located at. Theres a BJ's at Harsimus Cove and theres a Shop right in Hoboken , just a few blocks north of the 9th / Congress Light Rail stop.

4. Most people in Jersey City and the NJ Gold Coast take Mass Transit , infact Jersey City has a higher Modal share then NYC for transit. The only time my friends in JC drive is to go on Vacation. Most people have cars , but there rarely used maybe only once a week.

5. Jersey City is more diverse then NYC , 20% of every Major Race lives in JC

Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
1. There are a few bus lines that go to the PABT , you can access the PATH at Journal SQ , there's also a Light Rail at Congress Street.

2. Its mostly Residential , there are some Commercial streets like Central Ave. Just about everyone , Every Race , every income with the exception of the super rich lives in the Heights. There aren't many college students as Journal SQ , but there are a few towards the southern end of the Heights.

3. You can take the Light Rail from Congress to Newport , where the Newport Mall and other stores are located at. Theres a BJ's at Harsimus Cove and theres a Shop right in Hoboken , just a few blocks north of the 9th / Congress Light Rail stop.

4. Most people in Jersey City and the NJ Gold Coast take Mass Transit , infact Jersey City has a higher Modal share then NYC for transit. The only time my friends in JC drive is to go on Vacation. Most people have cars , but there rarely used maybe only once a week.

5. Jersey City is more diverse then NYC , 20% of every Major Race lives in JC

This is very helpful, thank you!

You're right, people think NYC is more diverse than it is. I got the sense that JC is more diverse.

I also got the sense that parking is not so bad? Is this true? I am coming from Queens - so I try to make my appointments so that I am in Queens twice a week and in Manhattan twice a week. That way, I drive only two days a week and we make do with one car. Sounds like I would be able to do this in JC also.

How is the light rail?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasmallworld View Post
This is very helpful, thank you!

You're right, people think NYC is more diverse than it is. I got the sense that JC is more diverse.

I also got the sense that parking is not so bad? Is this true? I am coming from Queens - so I try to make my appointments so that I am in Queens twice a week and in Manhattan twice a week. That way, I drive only two days a week and we make do with one car. Sounds like I would be able to do this in JC also.

How is the light rail?
Idk about Parking , i never bring my car to JC , i always take Mass Transit into Urban Jersey. It seems to be the same as queens....judging by the street....

The Light Rail is nice , it would be better if it ran more often , but other then frequencies i can't complain. It connects all the transit systems in Urban Jersey to each other.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Idk about Parking , i never bring my car to JC , i always take Mass Transit into Urban Jersey. It seems to be the same as queens....judging by the street....

The Light Rail is nice , it would be better if it ran more often , but other then frequencies i can't complain. It connects all the transit systems in Urban Jersey to each other.

Thanks again. I guess I will have to check on parking. I like places where I have the option of driving or taking public transportation. Wouldn't want to have to drive to a train or bus to get to Manhattan. And wouldn't want to have to carry groceries on the train or bus either. So this sounds like it is worth looking into.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasmallworld View Post
Thanks again. I guess I will have to check on parking. I like places where I have the option of driving or taking public transportation. Wouldn't want to have to drive to a train or bus to get to Manhattan. And wouldn't want to have to carry groceries on the train or bus either. So this sounds like it is worth looking into.
It only took me 30 mins to get from Astoria to Downtown Jersey City last night that was during rush hr , a small day trip is worth it.... Some of the Families ikno who live in JC drive to the Grocery Store for big trips...

Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
Quote:
It only took me 30 mins to get from Astoria to Downtown Jersey City last night that was during rush hr , a small day trip is worth it.... Some of the Families ikno who live in JC drive to the Grocery Store for big trips...
30 minutes from Astoria to downtown JC?? I'm not doubting but that seems too fast to be true. I used to take the N/Q from Astoria Blvd to 42nd-TSq every morning and that alone took close to 30 minutes. I WISH my old commute from Astoria to Jersey was that short ha.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
30 minutes from Astoria to downtown JC?? I'm not doubting but that seems too fast to be true. I used to take the N/Q from Astoria Blvd to 42nd-TSq every morning and that alone took close to 30 minutes. I WISH my old commute from Astoria to Jersey was that short ha.
Maybe 45 , i took the Q train to Queensboro then switched to the 7 train to Brant Park , then the F train to Herald SQ...then the PATH to Newport.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM

51 posts, read 130,461 times
Quote:
Maybe 45 , i took the Q train to Queensboro then switched to the 7 train to Brant Park , then the F train to Herald SQ...then the PATH to Newport.
It will take you another 30 minutes to get from newport to the heights.. My wife (then girlfriend) lived in the Doric about 6 years ago, while I was in the East Village. I'd hop on the L train to the 14th street Path into Hoboken to the Light Rail, take the 9th street elevator, and walk up the hill.. all in all, not a fun commute.

That being said, there are decent bus options that will get you into Port Authority fairly quickly..

The heights to me always seemed very working class. There's a lot of diversity, and some great hole in the wall mexican restaurants. Parking isn't ideal, but it's far from impossible.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
Quote:
Ah, well still doable especially if your transfers line up nicely. The 7 comes every 30 seconds it seems ha. How I do not miss the days of standing at QBP waiting for an N/Q while four or five 7s will roll through on the IRT track...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey