Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times

Advertisements

My new assessment came back 20% lower than what I originally paid for the house 2 years ago. Yet my taxes are still estimated to increase about 9%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM

95 posts, read 528,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
15% of the market price of my home? the assessment should have been what was considered the market price of my home, no?
It is all here Reducing property taxes is possible, but not likely | NJ.com hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My new assessment came back 20% lower than what I originally paid for the house 2 years ago. Yet my taxes are still estimated to increase about 9%.
not uncommon or unusual.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,058 times
Default Appraisal Nightmare

When I received my tax appraisal I was fine with the result being $416k. Having bought my house in WO 2 years ago for about the same amount I was initially paying 11K in taxes. I am now facing a 14,500 bill after the appraisal.
I decided to refinance in order make ends meet. I did not anticipate that the bank appraiser would use only one comparable , a foreclosure flip, to come up with his market value of $380k for my house.
The bank, Weichert Financial, refused to order another appraisal, even after offering to pay it on my own (again). I am now out of my application fee and stuck with no options. For a tax appeal this bank appraisal is not acceptable and the next bank appraiser might just be as inexperienced.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiman View Post
When I received my tax appraisal I was fine with the result being $416k. Having bought my house in WO 2 years ago for about the same amount I was initially paying 11K in taxes. I am now facing a 14,500 bill after the appraisal.
I decided to refinance in order make ends meet. I did not anticipate that the bank appraiser would use only one comparable , a foreclosure flip, to come up with his market value of $380k for my house.
The bank, Weichert Financial, refused to order another appraisal, even after offering to pay it on my own (again). I am now out of my application fee and stuck with no options. For a tax appeal this bank appraisal is not acceptable and the next bank appraiser might just be as inexperienced.
Any thoughts?
I'd suggest do your own appraisal - follow the procedures and find your own comps. All assessment data is available online. If you come up with reasonable analysis on how much your house is worth, the appeal officer probably would reconsider your assessed value.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
just an FYI - i contacted the tax assessor and got my assessment adjusted.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
just an FYI - i contacted the tax assessor and got my assessment adjusted.
Brady, would you mind terribly posting the process you went through for this.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
http://www.eastorange-nj.gov/PDFFile...rtxappeals.pdf
NJ Division of Taxation - Local Property Tax Forms

Read the FAQ's in the first link, then download the petition of appeal in the second link (legal 8.5x14 paper only!). Ask your local realtor for comp sales. (depending where you are in WO, I might be able to help) Fill out form and file before April deadline. I think you are past the time period when you can deal directly with the assessor's office.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
I'm not in WO. I'm in Hawthorne, my issue is that in our town assessed values of houses are lower than actual value and the tax percentage is high. For instance I pay about $9,800 in taxes on an assessed value of $202,300 when actual home value is probably $375K-$400K. Is there any way to actually question this if I think my taxes are high compared to neighbors?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
You want to find your town tax ratio and apply it to your assessed value to see what they are saying the market value of your home is. (if your ratio is 75% and you are assessed for $200k, the implied market value is 200/ .75= $267k) If the market value then seems low based on sales in the area, you want to appeal and appeal at least 15% lower or they will chalk it up to "reasonable margin of error" or some such language. For a quick fairness check, you can just look up your neighbors taxes and if yours seem higher, then go through the above exercise. Keep in mind my experience is with Essex not Passaic County, but assume they are similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey