Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Have a question for you. Or it could be just me...but is there anyone else who doesn't believe that the males they have in custody are actually apart of this terrible crime? It just doesn't make sense to me.. It's not adding up.. the make-up is all wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoughplease View Post
Hello all,
Have a question for you. Or it could be just me...but is there anyone else who doesn't believe that the males they have in custody are actually apart of this terrible crime? It just doesn't make sense to me.. It's not adding up.. the make-up is all wrong.
It's my understanding after seeing Mayor Booker of Newark on the news tonight that the 28 year old Hispanic male turned himself into the Mayor's office today and made a full confession. The words "robbery gone bad" were used. What about it doesen't add up? It was not a hate crime or gang related, just a robbery.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofAllTrades View Post
Unlike the suburbanites on here who will talk crap about Newark, never once breathing it's air, save that occasional trip to the airport, and even then being very far removed from the crime element,
Making some false assumptions here. I am one of the suburbanites, but I work in Newark 2 or 3 days a week. A couple of weeks ago, a check cashing place was robbed and the security guard was murdered right next to my place of employment.
Just a few days ago, while sitting at a red light, I heard a loud bang on the side of my car. I looked outside to see 2 teenagers looking at the ground. One of them was so proud of the fact that he killed a bee on my car by bashing my car door in with his heavy backpack.
"Breathing Newark's air" makes me MORE cold toward the city, not less.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,503 times
Question Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Making some false assumptions here. I am one of the suburbanites, but I work in Newark 2 or 3 days a week. A couple of weeks ago, a check cashing place was robbed and the security guard was murdered right next to my place of employment.
Just a few days ago, while sitting at a red light, I heard a loud bang on the side of my car. I looked outside to see 2 teenagers looking at the ground. One of them was so proud of the fact that he killed a bee on my car by bashing my car door in with his heavy backpack.
Breathing Newark's air makes me MORE cold toward the city, not less.
LOL- I'm sorry but I found that so freakin funny !!!! I could just imagine sitting at a red light and BANG, 2 Newark teens smiling proudly for bashing your nice car with their heavy backpack !! ROTFLMAO ! Did you crap your pants or what dude?????

*Let me add that this was a terrible thing to happen to you & I do not condone this act. Thank god you were not harmed.

Last edited by NewHomeHappy; 08-09-2007 at 10:30 PM..

Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
LOL- I'm sorry but I found that so freakin funny !!!! I could just imagine sitting at a red light and BANG, 2 Newark teens smiling proudly for bashing your nice car with their heavy backpack !! ROTFLMAO ! Did you crap your pants or what dude?????
Surprisingly no. I was so pissed I did something stupid. I totally went off on them and then drove off. In retrospect, that could have been the dumbest thing I have ever done.

The fact that you think it is funny is very telling though. You aren't much better than they are. Maybe the youth of Newark are like that because the adults from Newark are like you...just plain uncivilized.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,503 times
Wink Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Surprisingly no. I was so pissed I did something stupid. I totally went off on them and then drove off. In retrospect, that could have been the dumbest thing I have ever done.

The fact that you think it is funny is very telling though. You aren't much better than they are. Maybe the youth of Newark are like that because the adults from Newark are like you...just plain uncivilized.
Gee wiz - And I gave you Positive Reps. ?? Lighten up.
I'm not from Newark. I'm a regular "Suburbanite" like yourself. I am so sorry this happened to you. I am so sorry you became offended by my post. It just sounded like a scene from a TV sitcom. No need to name call. Let's be civilized. Peace.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Gee wiz - And I gave you Positive Reps. ?? Lighten up.
I'm not from Newark. I'm a regular "Suburbanite" like yourself. I am so sorry this happened to you. I am so sorry you became offended by my post. It just sounded like a scene from a TV sitcom. No need to name call. Let's be civilized. Peace.
I apologize for getting angry, but if it happened to you you wouldn't think it was so funny, you'd just be pissed off about it. Anyway, peace.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 AM

19 posts, read 83,656 times
Unhappy PLS ADVISE- UMDNJ Safety???

Hello,
I am from India and will be soon joining UMDNJ as a Graduate student. I have read so much negative about the crime rate in Newark that I really donot know whether I should join UMDNJ. Though I can still change to go to graduate school at Brooklyn,NY and New Haven,CT but the course at UMDNJ is the best. Pls advise me:
1. Will it be safe to stay near UMDNJ in a hired room? Maybe for financial reasons I maynot be able to do this for long.
2. I have relatives living in Hightstown, NJ and at Long Island, NY so I will probably commute daily in the trains but the biggest problem is that I have my classes in the evening from 4 to 9 PM. So, will it be safe to walk the mile to the Penn Station from UMDNJ at 9 PM and then take NJ transit to either Long Island through NYC or to New Brunswick or Princeton? Are the trains safe at night? How safe will everything be in winters at 9 PM?
3. I will be spending a lot of time studying so I would like to be in a neighbourhood with lots of good parks so that I can take walks for a break and watch children play!

Please reply soon , I have less time at hand.
Thank You

Old 08-11-2007, 02:43 PM

44 posts, read 163,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqnll View Post
Not once did I mention race. Why are you bringing up the suspects' race?

In terms of 1967, yes, the National Guard guard killed innocent people. It was wrong. It was a shame.

I do condone the Guard restoring order to cities and towns inundated with gang violence. Newark seem to fit the bill.

Society has to protect the innocent, too, you know.
Gee, let's see. Three black youths get killed by 3-5 hispanic men. While this was in NO WAY racially motivated, others have been known to spin it that way. It would be terribly naive to think this is not a reality, which is why the authorities in Newark are going through great pains to let the residents know that this crime was not racially motivated (a race riot in Newark will send the city back another 200 years...irregardless of any minor gains Newark has made since 1967).

Until Newark is looking like a world from Mad Max, the National Guard does not belong there. While murders are high, the rest of crime is down. Believe me, I understand you're frustrated. Me too! No matter where I choose to live, I will always love Newark...it's where I'm from. But I couldn't live there. I will continue to have high hopes for Newark, but things need serious improvements.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:48 PM

44 posts, read 163,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student2nj View Post
Hello,
I am from India and will be soon joining UMDNJ as a Graduate student. I have read so much negative about the crime rate in Newark that I really donot know whether I should join UMDNJ. Though I can still change to go to graduate school at Brooklyn,NY and New Haven,CT but the course at UMDNJ is the best. Pls advise me:
1. Will it be safe to stay near UMDNJ in a hired room? Maybe for financial reasons I maynot be able to do this for long.
2. I have relatives living in Hightstown, NJ and at Long Island, NY so I will probably commute daily in the trains but the biggest problem is that I have my classes in the evening from 4 to 9 PM. So, will it be safe to walk the mile to the Penn Station from UMDNJ at 9 PM and then take NJ transit to either Long Island through NYC or to New Brunswick or Princeton? Are the trains safe at night? How safe will everything be in winters at 9 PM?
3. I will be spending a lot of time studying so I would like to be in a neighbourhood with lots of good parks so that I can take walks for a break and watch children play!

Please reply soon , I have less time at hand.
Thank You
You are not going to walk from UMDNJ to Penn Station. You will take a bus though, but not walk. The weather (during the winter and some hot days in the summer) as well as the crime-laden area alone will make you think twice about doing so. If you must live in an Indian area that's not terribly far from public transportation, I recommend Jersey City (very close to Newark and a high Indian population) or Edison (where you can take a NJTransit train to and from Newark Penn Station).

As for Brooklyn or New Haven, depending on where in Brooklyn, both of those areas have high crime too. Don't let prestigious Yale in New Haven fool or kid you. UMDNJ also has their own issues/scandals. I suggest doing some hard research on UMDNJ via google news/nj.com to see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey