Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:58 PM

44 posts, read 163,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Surprisingly no. I was so pissed I did something stupid. I totally went off on them and then drove off. In retrospect, that could have been the dumbest thing I have ever done.

The fact that you think it is funny is very telling though. You aren't much better than they are. Maybe the youth of Newark are like that because the adults from Newark are like you...just plain uncivilized.
Now it's you who are making false assumptions. Not everyone who is from Newark is uncivilized, despite what you or others may think. I'm not saying all of Newarkers are civilized but we're not all uncivilized!

That situation with your car is very unfortunate, but even Newarkers who live there have had stuff happened to them (mail being broken into, getting jumped/mugged, being made to kneel in front of a wall and getting shot at and killed....). My point is that there are suburbanites who will overexagerate the dangers of Newark without ONCE being in Newark. They just generalize based on what they might have heard about Newark. Don't tell me this doesn't happen, because from my experiences in colleges, it most certainly does. ("Wow, I didn't people from Newark knew about that..." "Wow, I didn't know people from Newark knew how to read...."). Of course, I once I tell folks I went to Catholic school, I get the then "Oh no wonder...." LOL. Newark Publics Schools really do suck the big one. (Lemon, folks....Lemon...)

Yeah....Newark gets a sometimes-deserved bad rap, but good, educated folks do come out of Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 PM

223 posts, read 795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqnll View Post
What didn't you agree with?

Do you watch the news? Do you read newspapers?

I guess you didn't hear about the murders of three college students in Newark several days ago.

did any one hear what college the victims had attended? i used to teach there, so i'm just curious.

Newark has become a real cess pool, having gone from bad to worse in the last ten years. this tragedy demonstrates that it will take more than that a bobbly-headed politician like Cory Booker sleeping in a tent in bad neighborhoods to clean up that mess.

Last edited by JimmyLane; 08-11-2007 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 03:32 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
i'm just curious, did any one hear what college the victims had attended? Rutgers University, NJIT, and Essex County are there. thanks.
I believe they were to attend Delaware State

Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofAllTrades View Post
Now it's you who are making false assumptions. Not everyone who is from Newark is uncivilized, despite what you or others may think. I'm not saying all of Newarkers are civilized but we're not all uncivilized!

Yeah....Newark gets a sometimes-deserved bad rap, but good, educated folks do come out of Newark.
You are %100 right. Not everyone from Newark is uncivilized. I'd even go 1 step further to say there are more civilized people than uncivilized people. Which is why I cant understand why they don't rise up and demand a better life for the community. It has to come from within.
In a suburb, people WANT the police to check out anyone who looks "suspicious". And they don't care if they are white, black, Asian, etc. People get involved when there is a crime. People cooperate with the police. In my local paper, I just read of someone who followed a drunk driver giving the police updated locations until they got there and stopped the guy.
In Newark I think there is too much looking the other way, identifying with the criminals, or just a general sense of apathy and numbness to all the crime that occurs on a daily basis.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
What don't you get? Rising up in a community such as this is much much different than attempting it in most places. There are towns like this in many different parts of the country. Same problem can be found in those places. The bogus war on drugs our government is waging is doing the reverse of what it supposedly set out to do. Examine that. Your community likely does not deal with the brunt of that. If it did you would not find things so puzzling.

The type of policy we have now does not impact communities equally. There is much anger about this and many people have tried in vain to change things. There is a huge amount of $$$$ involved. People get rich and people get hurt or worse. The big winners are not the residents of these communities. The big losers are frequently the average joes and janes who reside in these communities. They can be hardworking people and also be victims. Everyone is not in a gang.

Many educated young people will leave a town like this when they have the chance. Some will stay and may feel more of a sense of obligation. Either way it is too easy to sit in the relative safety of your hometown and criticize people for not staying and giving back(or fighting the hard fight) or whatever. What you call it does not matter. It all sounds very easy from where you sit- maybe not miles but lightyears away from this circumstance.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM

So we stop the war on drugs, and all of Newark's problems go away?

It only doesn't impact communities equally because people in suburbs buy and use their drugs behind closed doors, not out on the street. This probably goes back to what I said about a communities comfort level with crime. While I agree that jailing all the drug users may be a waste of resources, I would be willing to bet many of the violent criminals have "drug dealer" on their curriculum vitae.

Anyway, I'm hearing a lot of excuses but no suggestions. What do you suggest be done?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
So we stop the war on drugs, and all of Newark's problems go away?

It only doesn't impact communities equally because people in suburbs buy and use their drugs behind closed doors, not out on the street. This probably goes back to what I said about a communities comfort level with crime. While I agree that jailing all the drug users may be a waste of resources, I would be willing to bet many of the violent criminals have "drug dealer" on their curriculum vitae.

Anyway, I'm hearing a lot of excuses but no suggestions. What do you suggest be done?
There really is no easy solution. cyntmac is correct, the crime may be the same but it is received differently in a suburb vs. inner-city ghetto. People live in this everyday and though I don't condone 'tolerance' the people who live in these areas lives are at stake if they were to challenge drug dealers, etc.
-maybe they could implement 'safe-zone' establishments, where the police presence makes it damn near impossible for a criminal to act. As time moves on this area should be expanded. I don't knows if this would totally work for Newark because I do think it needs more cops

Old 08-12-2007, 03:20 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
There is no war on drugs in actuality. It needs to be called something else. This is a national issue. The national guard storming one city of this size will do nothing long range for something of this scope.

Suggesting that middleclass whites move into a community to become role models for the population is pretty absurd and warped. Amazing what people will come up with on here. What about an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type strategy/solution? That way the entire populace will just cease to exist as we know them today.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:29 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Isn't the NJ National Guard still in Iraq???
We have PLENTY of National Guard in the US. I am not an expert by any means but I don't think we ever leave ourselves at home short. If it came to that, they would probobly re-instate the draft (God forbid).

Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Suggesting that middleclass whites move into a community to become role models for the population is pretty absurd and warped. .
I must have missed that post. Thats pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey