Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 PM

107 posts, read 383,283 times

Advertisements

Here is our situation...house on a "busy" street in Livingston...needs some work, but great price. VS a house in Randolph...doesn't need much work...a little more expensive but totally move in ready probably on a quiet street. Husband works in Florham Park, but of course, jobs can always change. I work from home. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Slam dunk to the quiet street in my opinion. A busy street will drive you crazy after a while. Yes you get used to it, but it is never pleasant. The constant noise will disturb your enjoyment of your patio or deck or garden. And the great price you are getting now will be the same low price you are forced to accept when you go to sell. Most buyers do not want to live on a busy street, so it will often take you a long time to sell. Busy streets not only have noise. There is also poor air quality. You will be breathing in more pollutants each and every day from the constant proximity to motor vehicles. Also way more dust. I would most definitely take an inferior house in a quiet location over a superior house on a busy street. And it's not close at all.

Some people will throw school arguments at you, but to my mind it is you who will determine the ultimate success of your kids education (if you have them of course). Either system can yield the full potential of your child if you do your job properly.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM

205 posts, read 692,913 times
Randolph as a whole has very good schools, would never consider their schools a negative in any way. What Elementary school is the house zoned for? While all are good and your children would do fine at any, I think that Fernbank is the only one some people take issue with as it is more diverse than the other three. However, diversity itself, can enrich a school as well, so just something to be aware of.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,349 times
If you don't need easy access to the city, I would do Randolph. I live in Livingston and am ready to get out of here, probably to Summit. What street is the house on in Livingston?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
If you don't need easy access to the city, I would do Randolph. I live in Livingston and am ready to get out of here, probably to Summit. What street is the house on in Livingston?
It's on East Cedar...it's back a bit from the road since the house is on a hill

Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebsPSU View Post
Here is our situation...house on a "busy" street in Livingston...needs some work, but great price. VS a house in Randolph...doesn't need much work...a little more expensive but totally move in ready probably on a quiet street. Husband works in Florham Park, but of course, jobs can always change. I work from home. Thoughts?
Quiet street in Randolph no doubt. I wouldn't even consider buying a house on a busy street. Even if it was gorgeous and cheap...I wouldn't waste my time going there. Keep that in mind for when you are the seller....

Old 07-10-2011, 03:52 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,349 times
Hi. Cedar Street is a nice area of Livingston. Taxes are higher in Essex County than Morris County. Do you have any particular interest in Livingston or Randolph. Do you like the house better in Livingston?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Hi. Cedar Street is a nice area of Livingston. Taxes are higher in Essex County than Morris County. Do you have any particular interest in Livingston or Randolph. Do you like the house better in Livingston?
We loved the house on Cedar and it's really priced well. They are lowering the price AGAIN b/c I think the lady really needs to move. They are original owners so I'm sure they paid very little for the house and it's paid off...built in the 60's. It's your typical 4 bedroom colonial with a nice backyard set back on the hill. Definitely needs updating, but if you get it at the price we think we can, it's worth it. I did like Randolph and you can get more for your money, but the schools in Livingston are better as well as more centrally located to highways, etc.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebsPSU View Post
We loved the house on Cedar and it's really priced well. They are lowering the price AGAIN b/c I think the lady really needs to move. They are original owners so I'm sure they paid very little for the house and it's paid off...built in the 60's. It's your typical 4 bedroom colonial with a nice backyard set back on the hill. Definitely needs updating, but if you get it at the price we think we can, it's worth it. I did like Randolph and you can get more for your money, but the schools in Livingston are better as well as more centrally located to highways, etc.

Yeah they couldn't be lowering the price because it's on a busy street that nobody wants to live on.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 11,038 times
how long has it sat on the market. THE DOM must be long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey