Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 PM

18 posts, read 95,297 times

Advertisements

So I was reading the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...5-indians.html and there were some nice reactions from folks toward Indians.

But I don't think that's the case. Take a look at: NJ.com: Edison Forum & NJ.com: Bridgewater Forum

As a matter of fact, check out forums for Woodbridge and other townships in Middlesex county. There's a lot of anger and resentment against Indians. While the actions of a few justifiably merit a few slaps on the wrist, the tone and content of a lot of posts on these forums are very negative and racist toward Indians.

Sad but true. Just something to think about and obviously all is not well with Indians in New Jersey.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
I'm very sorry that you were subjected to that sort of vitriol, Chanak. I'm not sure if you're an Indian-American yourself or just one who is sympathetic, but I agree with you that it's digusting to see prejudice and racism so prevalent in 2007, an era which should be very open-minded and tolerant towards folks of different customs, beliefs, ethnicities, and traditions.

My own father was laid-off from IBM's Scranton, PA installation a few years ago when his position as a systems analyst was outsourced to India. To this day he still blames the Indians for "taking his job," even though I tell him time and time again that if the shoe were on the other foot, he'd gladly accept a systems analyst position being offered to an American citizen from an Indian high-tech company, making him a hypocrite.

I don't have any Indian-American friends since there really aren't any in my mostly Caucasian metropolitan area, but I'm sure they're just trying to make a better life for their families.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,612 times
Good and informative link...again...I personally think the thread of asian indians didnt need to make its way to NJ forum..but perhaps a different one on city data. But again...and I am sorry to say this as an asian indian...a big problem results in the FOB ground not wanting to adjust out to the american culture or way of life...I am first generation here in the US..35 years and growing strong..and my folks had the keen insight to "get with the program" and raised us very americanized..with a deep root of our own religion and culture..so it was the best of both worlds.

My problem that I have personally found..is that the tri-state area in general as alot of concentrations of all ethnic groups..and while the natural migration to those areas seems to be natural for a recent immigrant...the reality is that you eventually have to "spread your wings" and really get acclamated with the culture and customs in which you are living in....meaning learn the language, get out of the bubble and get with the program.

And for goodness sake, please dont speak in your native tongue up and down the halls in the office, or in the breakroom....its considered rude and in poor taste..especially when there is someone in the vicinity that doesnt understand. When I was working, I cant tell you the tales that I have "heard" from the FOB IT guys in our conference room or walking down the halls when they past a higher level person(especially IT)..and they would be tearing them to pieces..I guess since they figured that I was practically american born that I didnt understand...but OH believe me I did.

That of course doesnt justify the negative remarks by others of our culture..but take it with a grain of salt that there are two sides to every story. One reason why I dont live in Edison, Iselin, jackson heights or the like or my first requirement when moving isnt to live where the indians are. Being close to my local ethnic store to pop in once in a while to pick up things..fine..but I dont need bollywood in my backyard.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:10 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,694 times
Sorry but as an Indian born and raised here .. I don't want to even go NEAR edison/oak tree rd/metropark/woodbridge. They are mostly immigrants that come here with no manners and don't know how to behave. On oak tree they fly around driving on the wrong side of the road to get ahead of traffic.. only they are driving head first into MY LANE! I slammed on the breaks and i was like WTF! Another wonderful immigrant indian pulled out of his lot and side swiped the side of my car and just took off. In avenel where we lived this indian family living 6 people in a 1 bedroom apt.. had 3 kids that would run around and jump on people's cars in the parking lot. If you complain to them that their kids put dents in your car and you saw it.. they respond with "fuq yoo"..

Dont even get into boarding on metropark.. if you are indian they will push you right out of the way not caring that you could fall into the gap between the track and the train.

Dont get me started on the smells......

Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,612 times
And again..before I get the "how can you be embarrassed of your own culture"..I must throw out my disclaimer in that this is in all cultures and ethnicities. I have a huge multicultural/ethnic group of friends..and its all the same all across the board..you have recent immigrants that dont "get it" or you have the more modern immigrants "who are loving the fact of working in the big apple". So its not that I am bashing my own culture..but I have to say there are times when It does make me sad to see how cheap and closed minded they can be on how some, not all, but some have the attitude of "We are doing YOU a favor" by working here.

I knew of one gal, who refused to where american clothes..okay thats fine..but if you are not willing to acclamate, then you have to prepared for curious remarks and comments right(good or bad)..she was like " We have to let these americans know that we are here too."

I gave her mouthful..and told her...."Trust me sister, with you attitude they know that an indian lives on the street, the homecooked meals that send from home, and the fact that your husband smells like onions everyday ---trust me you dont need to advertise it more." She was upset that her husband wasnt considered for a promotion and pulled the "race" card.

I think the promo went to an american.

I told her that might not be it, that she knows as well as I do that its illegal..even if there was biased, no company would ever admit to it and its best to let it go, unless you have some valid proof..and it may benefit her hubby to network more, get involved in some of the stuff that goes on at the office..basically dont sit in your cube all day long. I am not sure if that ever happened..but it was a very interesting perspective to see what the perception of things from anothers viewpoint is.

Another thing...dont complain if at the company meetings doesnt have anything that you can eat. Case in point. Again, FOB where I worked..we used to have these HUGE company meetings..The admin used to organize and get the food catered from really nice cuisines. The meetings clearly were lunch was served and it was very common where I used to work where meetings would take place at least 3x a week. It was announced in advance, so those who could attend would and RSVP. No problem.

Well it was always MY culture (the indians)..where some FOB in front of Senior Management and at times the CFO/CIO would not only talk in their own culture..(bashing and complaining of course)..would say "There is NO Vegetarian???---or I am vegan, or I dont eat eggplant...I mean there was always something to complain about" Because sometimes the company would run out and get a sub, or they would order pizza during the some of the meetings...or they would order those eggplant panini type of sandwiches.

And the fobs would say in hindi (There is nothing important here, we just came for the food...I should have just brought my "XXXX" from home). I would be sooooo red faced.

Needless to say it puts senior managment in an uncomfortable position and I remember that HR sent a memo from that point on for every meeting that said something to the effect of "If there are any special dietary requirements that you need, please let "XXX" know by this date and time".

Again maybe its certain regions of india..I dont know...I am from the north....and I find that the Recent FOBS from the more modern cities of mumbai acclamate easier. And most of the people who acclamate are more upscale, hip and do tend to migrate to the white collar areas and just grow up a different way, present themselves differently, and they are the ones that a majority of the americans end up talking about (the doctors, lawyers, sucessfull biz owners, the professors, higher level IT directors/managers) in a positive way. They run out an have their kids join little league, mom goes out and networks with other mothers groups and such..most of this group of indians are the ones where we hear the comments of "Oh wow, I love the colors in your wedding, and my doc is indian, I love him or her, My kid had an indian prof in college and he/she learned so much". So there are alot more positives that outweigh the negatives..but there is a distinct divide between FOB crown and the Settled Crowd..and its to your benefit NOT to come off as FOB...sorry to be harsh but its true..the sooner you learn and get it..the better off you will be.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 AM

132 posts, read 520,296 times
Woodbridge township has started to check on how many people are living in a house and have started giving out summonses if more then one family is there. It said in the News Tribune that most of the summonese were given out in Iselin which suprisingly has a large Indian population. I would suggest if your neighbor has 13 cars parked in front of their house that you give the township a call and have an inspector check it out.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 45,093 times
Default to the brown sahibs

yes,I am referring to the 2nd generation Indian Americans that take so much pride to compare themselves with new immigrants from their own country of origin.
Well, if not the native americans, there is at least someone you are better than....or so you think.
Courtesy people like you, the Indian diaspora has become a laughing stock.
Give it a thought: to non-indians it looks like Indians demeaning their own culture, their own people.None of the people from any other culture do that!
If some new immigrants behave badly, you can't label everybody else the same. Think about the time when you or your parents came here.Were they any different?
Coming to food, I feel it is indeed very inconsiderate and rude when a good majority of people in your team are vegetarian Indians and you order non-indian, non-vegetarian food.IT IS VERY RUDE.
Only a vegetarian person can understand the insult if time and again they are called on weekends and all those times they are presented with non-vegetarian food...the managers who order are in full knowledge that the majority is vegetarian.
But why should they bother? They have their Indian brown sahib pets wagging their tails as support, that are only too eager to please their american friends(read bosses) and get a pat on the back in return.
I know some of really enlightened immigrant Indians, but a majority of you are more racial towards new people from your own country than the average Americans.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Ya know what, this is America. If we moved to India, we would have to adjust to that culture. I'm certain we would not be catered cheeseburgers at a business lunch simply because we are Americans.
You moved to America. Don't try to change us, it is you that has to change! This makes me nuts. I have no problem with cultural differences and in fact embrace them. However, we should not have to cater to any culture. What, do you think we should learn your languages next??? Give me a break!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ya know what, this is America. If we moved to India, we would have to adjust to that culture. I'm certain we would not be catered cheeseburgers at a business lunch simply because we are Americans.
You moved to America. Don't try to change us, it is you that has to change! This makes me nuts. I have no problem with cultural differences and in fact embrace them. However, we should not have to cater to any culture. What, do you think we should learn your languages next??? Give me a break!
Agree 100%
Just as past generations of immigrants needed to assimilate into American ways so do the new generation

Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 AM

531 posts, read 2,149,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parshub View Post
I know some of really enlightened immigrant Indians, but a majority of you are more racial towards new people from your own country than the average Americans.
This is true. As a second-generation Indian who speaks fluent English (that's Angrezi to you fob-boy), can I say I don't even know you but I hate you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey