Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,530 times

Advertisements

Anybody been to Palisade Interstate Park Commision? I can't believe I pass this place routinely and it's just minutes away from NYC. I usually drive 3 hrs or so in the Adirondacks near Lake George to go hiking and biking but this place sounds like a decent place for hiking. Just looking through online searches and it looks like a great place to hike and bike. The Giant stairs sounds challenging, can anyone recommend any other trails? I'm not a "seasoned" hiker by anymeans but I'm fit and in decent shape.

If anyone has biked this place or have gone on a picnic or fishing (I don't think I'd eat the fish from here) I would also appreciate your input.

Online Pics

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 AM

78 posts, read 330,375 times
I have not walked,hiked there since I moved to Western NJ(2 years) but it is a very enjoyable walk. You can park at the englewood boat basin and walk along the river to alpine. Also there is a road along the bottom of the cliffs you can bike along. It also extends under the bridge. For other nice quiet walks become a member of the the greenbrook nature sanctuary. off 9w. It is very cheap, you get a key to enter the place. I believe it is about 250 acres witha lake and several different habitats. The falls you mentioned are called greenbrook falls. Good luck
Since moving to west jersey I have tons of trails to explore

Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,407 times
Yes and it's a great place. Even though lot of people come and use it, still hidden gem in my opinion since there are far more people who could access it but don't because they mostly don't know about it or underestimate what's available for them to do there.

It's not gigantic trail or difficult trail but it is long and fun. I wouldn't eat the fish either and there are lot of folks who walk or bike through. Enjoy!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,923 times
Definitely a great place to hike and explore! The Thousand Steps seems challenging but it's really not that bad. I used to do it no problem even when I was a kid while hiking with my dad. I just did it recently and still didn't have much problem, and I'm not in the greatest shape.

If you're still not ready for it though there are plenty of other trails to explore and ways to enjoy the area!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,530 times
Nice, sounds great so far! Is that water fall clean enough to dip into on a hot day like today? Or not

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Nice, sounds great so far! Is that water fall clean enough to dip into on a hot day like today? Or not
If I'm remembering correctly (been a while since I was down by there) it's not even deep enough. Would be nice though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey