Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:20 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times

Advertisements

I live in Hoboken and it's difficult to find good contractors in this area. They don't exist! Anyone know of a good, but not expensive, one that would travel to Hoboken?

I need to get my Kitchen and Bathroom remodeled.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
You're asking for something that doesn't happen often- a "good but cheap" contractor- especially one willing to work in Hoboken. Working in a city is a royal PITA, and most contractors won't even consider it- the ones that do charge a good premium for it.

Best of luck!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM

I was careful not to use the word CHEAP here since I know someone may point that out.

I believe inexpensive means anywhere from cheap to fairly priced, but excludes expensive?

Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Well, let's see if we can make it easy here- do you have an approximate budget in mind for each of these projects, and what is the scope of work for each? If you'd rather DM that info to me than post it here, that's fine, but it either case it'll help in determining whether your budget will require an "inexpensive" contractor or a "cheap" contractor.....lol.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
No matter which contractor you choose make sure his is licensed and is insured (have him supply you with an insurance certificate)
Make sure the contractor will be securing all the permits.
DO NOT file permits as a homeowner doing the work. (you will have no liability protection in case of faulty work.)
The main reason why one contractor is much cheaper than another for the same job is because he uses unlicensed subs and does the Elect and plumbing work himself with YOUR name as the person doing the work.

If you are shopping strictly price remember you get what you pay for.

Get a minium of three bids for the work (all based on the same plans) and ask for and check refrences.
DO NOT let the contractor start work untill you have a permit in place at you home.
DO NOT give a deposit for more than 10% to get the work started, make timely payments based on work completed and hold back 10% retainage until all inspections are completed.(put this in writing)

It is all very simple you expect the contractor to do the job right and he is entitled to be paid timely. (makes everybody happy)

Good luck,

E...(retired contractor)

Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
My brother is a contractor and everything EMANON said is right on! He made sure when I recently had work done that he doesn't do himself that the contractor I had doing it applied for the permit.

One additional suggestion when you ask for references - ask for a job that he recently completed (within a couple of months). Things can change over time so work done last year could be different that recent work if something changed. And go and look at the work - don't just talk to someone on the phone. Good contractors should have customers willing to show off the work.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 AM

Thanks emamon and hrjersey!

I will keep those tips in mind when contractor hunting...

Would also like to get any recommendations you have, ie. names. If you don't mind. I'm open to suggestions at this point. Don't know why but contractors I've called don't seem to be very responsive lately. I tried contacting some this past summer and was disappointed in most of them. They either show up very late and give lame attempts at estimating, don't even send an estimate, or never show up at all.

Maybe it's because they have so much work in the summer?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Thanks emamon and hrjersey!

I will keep those tips in mind when contractor hunting...

Would also like to get any recommendations you have, ie. names. If you don't mind. I'm open to suggestions at this point. Don't know why but contractors I've called don't seem to be very responsive lately. I tried contacting some this past summer and was disappointed in most of them. They either show up very late and give lame attempts at estimating, don't even send an estimate, or never show up at all.

Maybe it's because they have so much work in the summer?
While there's no excuse for not showing up or delivering whatever they commit to, one difficulty with "lame attempts at estimating" often stems from not having good information. Are you giving them a set of plans, or at least a written narrative of what you want, or just a "well, we might do this, and maybe we'd like that" kinda thing? Without something concrete to work from, most contractors won't commit to a number, and as you said, many are too busy to bother with you if you don't have a solid package to give them to work with- they view you as a "tirekicker".

Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,513 times
Question Be careful of overcharing; anyone else experience this?

Hard to find good contractors, no doubt.

We are running into some problems with a home contractor we used, where by a number of new charges - not formerly agreed to in writing - showed up at the end of the job.

Has anyone else run into this sort of thing?

How did you handle it?

(Has anyone run into a similar problem with a contractor who's name starts with J in Northern NJ) Curious to know if this is a pattern by this contractor. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,790 times
I too had an issue finding a good contractor. I interviewed many.I got a referral for Joe from Hudson Home Improvement from a friend and this guy immediately struck me as professional and he was on time.I had a kitchen and a bathroom remodeled, the work came out great and I would certainly use them again, I would recommend no doubt.Hudson Home Improvement, LLC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey