Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:46 PM

12 posts, read 131,469 times

Advertisements

Hello.Im looking into moving back to NY/NJ area.And I'm interested in Clifton NJ.I remember driving through this area and seeing it along the highway.Is this area ghetto?Im an Italian guy whos looking for a traditional Italian style neighborhood and alot of areas in NYC and Newark have decline so much.I still want the urban feel but does anyone know anything about Clifton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,047,424 times
Why Clifton??

You sound likey you will fit great in Staten Island, South Brooklyn or Long Island.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 AM

Im just curious what Clifton is like.Do you know anything about it?

Old 09-03-2006, 09:53 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,731 times
Clifton is a very large city...it has it's nice neighborhoods and it's not so good neighborhoods. The areas around Main Street, Lexington Ave, aren't so hot and I'd avoid moving there if possible. The part of Clifton that boarders Bloomfield is very nice, but I'm not sure of the "names" of the sections.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,356,438 times
Clifton is a nice enough place. It's sort of gritty and blue-collar but contrary to what may be one's first impression of the city, it's actually fairly safe (check out it's crime rate on the City Data main page). Clifton does have an urban feel and actually feels a bit like a neighborhood in Queens. The areas towards the south/southeast are generally nicer. Like pretty much every city in North Jersey, there is a large Italian presence but it's not a traditionally Italian area where Italian culture/food/people dominates. There's a wide mix of cultures. There is more of an Italian presence in nearby Nutley (nearly half of the city is Italian compared to 20% of Clifton) and Belleville.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:00 PM

Im not completly obsessed with how italian it is or not.I just want to feel like Im back home.Ive been living away from Ny NJ area.So Clifton still is dense.I think it looks more like Brooklyn or the Bronx.Queens is mostly quiet residential areas.But liek the majority of large cities up there certain groups tend to congregate in certain areas right?I know that there is a tremendous Middle Eastern prescense in Patterson.And in the Bronx now the majority of the people are Hispanic.So Clifton is basically a healthy mix of everything?I want a gritty urban feel but not the feel like I have to worry about walkin out of a store and getting jumped you know?But is it affordable?I'll be renting and I think with a urban area like that should have my option open.Im just considering this as an option.But I'm interested in finding out about it either way just to get an idea of things.Well right now I live in a suburban area and its quiet and boring so I'm basically thinking this area is close to NYC and urban feeling just like it without the crazy expense.But Ive heard that car insurance is even higher in NJ then in NY! Is this true?But anyway I think Clifton might be a good place to look into.Because its easy access to everything and your still in a large bustling city where somethings always taking place.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 PM

103 posts, read 393,757 times
Clifton is going down hill. I know a few families who are moving out of the town. I dont know what it is like for someone single but I know way to many people who are getting out. ( then again they have kids but they are leaving for some reason.) If you drive by the highschool its a nightmare and it borders Passiac or Paterson. Not good. I would look somewhere else.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:07 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,356,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxite View Post
Im not completly obsessed with how italian it is or not.I just want to feel like Im back home.Ive been living away from Ny NJ area.So Clifton still is dense.I think it looks more like Brooklyn or the Bronx.Queens is mostly quiet residential areas.But liek the majority of large cities up there certain groups tend to congregate in certain areas right?I know that there is a tremendous Middle Eastern prescense in Patterson.And in the Bronx now the majority of the people are Hispanic.So Clifton is basically a healthy mix of everything?I want a gritty urban feel but not the feel like I have to worry about walkin out of a store and getting jumped you know?But is it affordable?I'll be renting and I think with a urban area like that should have my option open.Im just considering this as an option.But I'm interested in finding out about it either way just to get an idea of things.Well right now I live in a suburban area and its quiet and boring so I'm basically thinking this area is close to NYC and urban feeling just like it without the crazy expense.But Ive heard that car insurance is even higher in NJ then in NY! Is this true?But anyway I think Clifton might be a good place to look into.Because its easy access to everything and your still in a large bustling city where somethings always taking place.
Clifton is pretty much a decent mix of everything. I don't know if it as urban as you'd like though. It has high-density and a downtown and such but I wouldn't necessarily call it bustling and busy. The communities that tend to be so are those right across the river from Manhattan like Union City and West New York and Hokoken and Jersey City, but of course, those are pretty much just as expensive as living in Manhattan itself. Elizabeth is a fairly bustling city with an urban feel to it. Of course, it can also be a pretty dodgy place in some places but if you stick to certain areas (which, as sort of a catch-22, tend to be more quiet and suburban), it should be fine. Similarly, the Ironbound district of Newark is always bustling and lively and certainly urban. While people immediately recoil at the thought of living in Newark, this part of Newark isn't too bad and has great access to the city.

As far as car insurance goes, on a statewide basis, New Jersey has the highest car insurance in the nation. On a local level though, it depends. Brooklyn actually has the highest car insurance in the nation due to high incidences of fraud, and I believe Manhattan isn't too far behind. Coming from the Bronx, it's quite possible that the insurance will be on par with what you're paying now.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:25 PM

Well that interesting.Brooklyn has the highest.But I moved from the Bronx awhile ago I'm moving back up from Atlanta.Here alot of NY'ers and NJ people move down to escape the costs.But to be honest I'd rather have em suck me dry and live life up and go out and actually have something to do then to be bored.I mean you only live once might as well be happy right?And I dont think you need 100k salary just to live in NJ.Maybe Hoboken but thats about it.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 99,506 times
Check out Ridgewood, NJ. I can't afford to live there, but it's a great town. Tons of restaurants, nice shops, all bundled up in the middle of town. There are little bistros, like in the village, where people go just to have an expresso, and maybe a piece of dessert. You can sit outside to have your coffee and people watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey