Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,825 times

Advertisements

I need help choosing between Bergen co and Rockland co. I have school aged kids, budget of approx 350000 for small single family home. Schools, walkability, safety, train, friendliness are all important. I worry about Rockland co as it seems a bit shabbier than Bergen in areas around Pearl River but like the town itself. Also I'm concerned about the Hasidic community and the possible future effects on the schools and tax base. I am excited about the new scholarship for free in state tuition at SUNY/CUNY though. In NJ I have narrowed it down to Hillsdale and Westwood but worry about the affluence issue as I would be at the low end of housing market and would have to put kids through college. Any thoughts on why I should chose one state over the other? Concerns I should have other than what I've listed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I would take Bergen County over Rockland for the reasons you mentioned. That's just me. I grew up right along the border there and I always felt like you could feel the difference when you crossed over. This isn't very helpful but just thought I would share. Hillsdale and Westwood are nice towns, I wouldn't worry about being at the "bottom" there...lots of modest homes in those towns.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
I agree with the above. Westwood and Hillsdale are great towns, not snooty, pretty, good shopping. Can't comment much on across the border as far as tax difference or schools (guessing not nearly as good) other than, yes, large hassidic population.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:31 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
I like Pearl River and would not be surprised if you bought a house there now and did very well when it comes time to sell. Very Irish, don't think the Hasidic issue is something you need to be concerned of in that town.

Hillsdale and Westwood are also nice so imo you really can't go wrong in any of these 3 towns if you are able to get enough house for your needs on your budget

Old 07-08-2017, 09:42 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I like Pearl River and would not be surprised if you bought a house there now and did very well when it comes time to sell. Very Irish, don't think the Hasidic issue is something you need to be concerned of in that town.

Hillsdale and Westwood are also nice so imo you really can't go wrong in any of these 3 towns if you are able to get enough house for your needs on your budget
I've heard that about Pearl River too but I think that might be changing now..

Quote:
An onslaught of door-to-door solicitations allegedly by Hasidic Jews from neighboring Ramapo, offering to buy any and all homes in Pearl River they can acquire for quick cash. The rash of doorknockers appears to have been concentrated in the “dead presidents” section of western Pearl River, between West Washington Avenue, Crooked Hill Road and Pascack Road, and bordering the Village of Chestnut ridge in Ramapo.
Pearl River Moves toward Village Status | The Rockland County Times

Old 07-08-2017, 02:09 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Hillsdale and Westwood are not affluent and Westwood has a fairly large rental base. Affluence is not a worry in those towns. I would have the same concerns about pearl river but that might mean you'll get a great deal if your willing to take a chance. I do like the ny state college system better than new jersey's so if your kids are close to college age that is a consideration. Ny state taxes are higher if you work in ny.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Go to NJ and not NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: