Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:17 PM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie123 View Post
Please help me with some advice regarding real estate agents.

I am in the process of trying to select an agent to work with. We are currently in discussions with two. The 1st has been working close to the town where we want to buy, is nice, and not too pushy. However, when we saw a house a few weeks ago with her, she failed to alert us about a major transportation (train) that was 300 ft from the house. I only found out about it as I was looking at google maps and discovered it myself. I feel that she should have at least mentioned it and thus I do not have 100% confidence in her.

The second has only been in the business for a year and I doubt that she has any experience in the town. However, she seems smart, eager and more informed about the real estate market in general.

My question: Which agent should we use or should we keep looking for others? Thank you.
Have you considered working with an exclusive buyer's agent? One who does not sell any properties but who is 100% dedicated to helping buyers.

I was dealing with some agents but finally realized the advice about getting an exclusive buyer's agent was probably the best thing of all. Real buyer's agents--not what are called "double agents", who represent both buyers and sellers--are unfortunately few and far between but they do exist. PM me if you want to know more. And no, I'm not any kind of agent at all, just someone needing to find a house also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Have you considered working with an exclusive buyer's agent? One who does not sell any properties but who is 100% dedicated to helping buyers.

I was dealing with some agents but finally realized the advice about getting an exclusive buyer's agent was probably the best thing of all. Real buyer's agents--not what are called "double agents", who represent both buyers and sellers--are unfortunately few and far between but they do exist. PM me if you want to know more. And no, I'm not any kind of agent at all, just someone needing to find a house also!

You may be a little mixed up...Disclosed dual agency happens when an agent shows you a home listed by the same brokerage firm that that agent works for. All agents in NJ are permitted to work as Disclosed Dual Agents provided that this is disclosed to both the sellers and the buyers, and consent is given by the seller...(to do the job you were hired to do)

My advice is to find an agent that knows how to explain the details, has the knowledge of the areas you're interested in, and has the experience in negotiating for both buyers and sellers. A lot of objections could be put to sleep before they become issues.

Good Luck.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie123 View Post
Please help me with some advice regarding real estate agents.

I am in the process of trying to select an agent to work with. We are currently in discussions with two. The 1st has been working close to the town where we want to buy, is nice, and not too pushy. However, when we saw a house a few weeks ago with her, she failed to alert us about a major transportation (train) that was 300 ft from the house. I only found out about it as I was looking at google maps and discovered it myself. I feel that she should have at least mentioned it and thus I do not have 100% confidence in her.

The second has only been in the business for a year and I doubt that she has any experience in the town. However, she seems smart, eager and more informed about the real estate market in general.

My question: Which agent should we use or should we keep looking for others? Thank you.
You don't say where you are located but if your in the South Jersey area I would recommend Lou Visco from Pat McKenna realtors in Marlton. I have been involved in the real estate industry for over 20 years and have always found him to be honest and knowledgeable no matter what the market conditions.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,366 times
Pick the real estate agent who seems to have more on the ball. Forget about what real estate company sells the most homes in your town, that does not matter because it is not the company that is working for you, it is the individual REALTOR.

I don't brag on this but my real estate office sells the most real estate in Morris county, but when you hire me you are not hiring my office, you are hiring me. It is the same thing with any real estate agent you hire, it is the real estate agent who preforms or does not preform, the office is just there to hold that agents license. Thankfully I am one of the more successful in the office but I don't try to sell the office performance.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
I still recommend a buyers agent. Not only in finding a property, but he/she knows how to negotiate better then buyers can do on their own. It is in that area that they really shine and have experience with all sorts of properties. All consumer guides now recommend using one. I cannot tell you how much a difference it has made to us since signing up with one that has the proper credentials. It's like night and day.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:31 AM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times
Test them..........

Give them your search criteria and a day to see the homes..........which ever realtor actually took the time to research your wish list and shows you homes that meet your requirements wins.

There are so many homes for sale right now that some realtors may shoot fish in a barrel hoping to get one vs really selling.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:37 AM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
Keep looking. There are plenty of excellent agents out there. When you find the right one, you will know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey