Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,382 times

Advertisements

Moving from Va to NJ. Would like to know some good apartments for cheap (no more than $,1000) in North Jersey. Areas that are close to NY (like Newark,Hackensack,Jersey City,Elizabeth).
Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 PM

107 posts, read 221,076 times
For that price range, you're pretty much either going to be in a place:

(1) that's very small--maybe a studio, a TINY 1-bedroom (in a place that really should have been a studio), or you could just rent a room,

(2) that's not in very good shape and/or in a pretty seedy neighborhood,

or

(3) that's not close to the city, so that you've got a significant commute and additional transportation costs.

If we were talking 10 years ago, yes, it would have been possible to find a decent place, at least one bedroom, at that price if you were willing to hunt a bit and make some compromises. Now, unless someone knows about something that's quite the anomaly, it will be next to impossible.

It might be worth wondering how it is that a job in the heart of Manhattan, a job that's significant enough to prompt a move, could be paying you so little that you can only afford $1000 for rent. It's a bit ridiculous of your employer. The general rule of thumb is that your rent should be no more than one week's wages, although in NYC, you could go to 1.5 week's wages. If you figure 1.5, that would mean you're only getting paid 35k per year, which is ridiculous for this area.

Last edited by MontyLaSalle; 07-20-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Another option, by the way, is to get one or more roommates, but note that as you increase your number of bedrooms, you increase your rent. Can you find a two bedroom place for $2000? Yes. But you have to hunt a bit for a 2-bedroom place at that price that's in good shape, that's not in a seedy neighborhood, and that isn't far enough away that your added transportation costs might be better spent in a higher rent for a closer place.

I'm in a good location for convenience's sake, but my apartment isn't in great shape, and I'm in an older, smaller building. Well, the folks below me moved out, the landlord just redid that apartment (out of necessity, because the previous tenants had pretty much trashed it), and the new rent was $2500, for a just-big-enough 2 bedroom. Since they fixed the place, we would have liked to move in ourselves, but we couldn't afford $2500. Our rent is much cheaper, because our place was not redone before we moved in, the neighborhood wasn't fixed up near as much as it was now--it was still on the edge of seedy then, we've been here for 14 years, and there are rent control laws here (so they can not raise your rent beyond a fixed percentage every couple years). Even with that, though, what we're paying right now is above what you're looking to spend.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Also you should narrow down how urban/suburban etc. you are aiming for. there may be some towns that are suburban residential along the train lines that may float your boat, possibly. I don't track renatal prices myself.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
If safety is not a concern, you can prob find something in Newark for around that. But...again...it will not be a safe area..

Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 PM

249 posts, read 882,554 times
Default close to the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwalke View Post
Moving from Va to NJ. Would like to know some good apartments for cheap (no more than $,1000) in North Jersey. Areas that are close to NY (like Newark,Hackensack,Jersey City,Elizabeth).
Any help would be great!
You should look in West New York and Weehawken also you will find safer areas and better prices.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,382 times
Thanks for the tips. I actually make 50,000/yr. but currently my rent is 735.00, i'm trying to stay within that range...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I actually make 50,000/yr. but currently my rent is 735.00, i'm trying to stay within that range...
I would imagine you would be a lot happier living in a $1000 a month apartment in somewhere non-ghetto. $735 will not get you much

Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
You've got to remember that you're moving from Virginia to Metro NYC, one of the most expensive areas in the entire country--I think only Metro San Francisco is more expensive. Consider upping your rental budget to $1500 per month at least. It's still not going to be easy to find something nice and a decent size in that range, but it's possible if you stick with 1 bedroom apartments in a more out of the way location that's perhaps on the edge of a seedy area or that's an older apartment that hasn't been renovated.

Also remember that if you move very far from the city, what you're saving in rent you're going to be spending for your commute. You can easily spend $200-400 per month on public transportation without being too far from the city (although you'll at least be working in Times Square so you can avoid buying a monthly NYC Subway pass too). Driving certainly isn't any cheaper, given the cost of gas, tolls and parking. Even if you just have to pay for the Light Rail and the PATH, it will cost you about $115 per month.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Also you should narrow down how urban/suburban etc. you are aiming for. there may be some towns that are suburban residential along the train lines that may float your boat, possibly. I don't track renatal prices myself.
Suburban residential rentals for $1000? I don't think so. Maybe $1200, though, if you search and aren't too picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey