Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:59 PM

158 posts, read 466,197 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Montclair as well. I have to ask this question, before I feel truly offended by your statement.. Please clarify what you mean by saying, "Ghettos? There are concentrations of blacks in certain areas and I must say that they are very orderly wonderful people, who have made great strides to improve their situations through the years against all odds and are also great neighbors." I am black and really don't want to take offense to what you are stating even though I live and own a home on Lloyd Road. (If you grew up in Mtc., I'm sure you know where that is. Please say it ain't so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonballRun View Post
I grew up in montclair and have a mixed bag of feelings. You indicate that you're single and looking for a dating scene. Personally, I think montclair is great place to live, raise a family, commute to the city... but very poor social scene. There are plenty of Bars like Charlie Browns, the Office, Egens, Tiranys (spelling?), South Park... but you will only meet bar folk, so leave your expectations at home. As far as activities there are skiers, who drive up to Vermont, Mountainbikers, climbers, runners, golfers.. but no real hardcore scenes, where the sport provides a social element, unless you are fortunate enough to have the money for a fancy Country Club.

Being an RN is never easy, a probably not easier in Montclair. There is Mountainside Hospital and they are always looking for more RNs while offering acceptable pay. Treat it as a job and means to support yourself, but don't expect a top notch hospital. If you're willing to commute, then there are more options like Clara Maas, Morristown General, University Newark, Hackensack..

Ghettos? There are concentrations of blacks in certain areas and I must say that they are very orderly wonderful people, who have made great strides to improve their situations through the years against all odds and are also great neighbors. One by one the old homes are being fixed-up, but there are still some areas of town where you might not be happy.

I think montclair is just too expensive and everything revolves around money. I will most likely inherit a wonderful montclair victorian and will really have to think twice about moving back, but for me, the lack of social scenes and the power of the $$ will keep away. I have numerous friends who live happily in montclair and will most likely never leave and others who have moved on and have no desire to even come back for a visit. It is a very polarizing place. My suggestion is as an RN try travelling a bit or if you're dead set on montclair, take a temporary assignment and see how you feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 15,352 times
I grew up in Upper Montclair in the early 60's. Glennwood rd to be exact. What a great place it was for kids!

Anyone remember Bond's ice cream? The Awful Awful?

Is it still a nice place to live?

I miss it.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM

56 posts, read 290,726 times
Default Montclair Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz51 View Post
for a single/divorced 56 year old woman to live? my friend who lives in north bergen says it's a fabulous city...she is a bit prejudiced...i am looking for a place with character; charm; culture; and good job opportunities for an RN...i would like to meet more men to date...will rent due to the exorbitant prices of home ownership...please comment...appreciate any and all ...soulfulms
Come on over! I'm not speaking as a Montclair/Upper Montclair realtor. I'm a NY transplant that came here for the reasons you seek and why alot of people more here...couples, families, singles, alternative, whatever. It's progressive, fun, has a pulse...yes there are plenty of opportunities. I have several single, some divorced some single and in their 40's - 60's and they love being here. There are numerous groups, contact, clubs, venues to socialize and get involved.

As far as your work, again, tons of people in the medical profession..again, several are my friends, RN's, LPN's, NP's, PA's that work locally and in numerous hospitals and medical facilities. Some work in NY, live in NJ, work at Mountainside, Summit, Bergen County.

In terms of rentals, tons of them. More and more as the mortgage market gets tight for folks to purchase. There are few pockets, yes, that some feel less than desireable. However, Upper Montclair and so much of Montclair (misconception being that anything that is not Upper is bad) is great, terrific, fine. The estate section (mostly mansions and not too many rentals) is in "lower Montclair....which doesn't really exist....it's Upper Montclairor Montclair.

Keep in mind that neighboring towns that border Montclair are also nice and many move there...close enough to enjoy Montclair restaurants, theatre, music, art, etc. THese include Glen Ridge, Verona, Bloomfield, Nutley.

My recommendation is to come visit, roam around over a weekend, have lunch, talk to people...ask how they feel about living here. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Good luck! Elaine

Old 09-02-2007, 07:59 AM

84 posts, read 198,741 times

hi,

yes, i will be visiting my friend who lives in north bergen sometime in oct...your suggestion to "get a feel" is exactly what i am going to do...in looking at rental properties though, i am somewhat discouraged by the high prices for rentals...certainly nothing like in st. louis!!! i am looking for a 2 BR with some character...not shabby chic...lol...a fireplace would be nice...something old, but well taken care of...who are the good realtors in the area, or should i continue to check the classifieds, craigs list and the online rental sites? i do not like the fee paid to realtors...that is a total rip...IMHO...thanks...soulfulms

Old 11-16-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,429 times
Default Montclatr crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Yep, I got my info from

Moderator cut: link removed
You won't read about crime in Montclair in all the glowing articles in the N.Y. Times because half of the staff lives there. There is, however, a swath of neighborhoods that run along the Glen Ridge town line from approximately Mountainside Hospital to the Orange town line that is rank with crime. Car theft is rampant, as are drug using/selling, burglary, and assaults. Then there are the weapons offenses which they try to keep out of the papers. I retired as a Glen Ridge cop and I am aware of all the news that isn't fit to print in the NYT.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 6,763 times
[quote=CannonballRun;1279153]
Ghettos? There are concentrations of blacks in certain areas and I must say that they are very orderly wonderful people, who have made great strides to improve their situations through the years against all odds and are also great neighbors. One by one the old homes are being fixed-up, but there are still some areas of town where you might not be happy.

I know I am a year later but why do blacks have to be equated with ghetto? I am black and I am definately not ghetto

Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times
Is there a night life in Upper Montclair? I noticed that in more the downtown area there are places like Trumpets, but are there any sort of martini bars etc in Upper Montclair? Is it true there are no rentals available in Upper Montclair (in the walkable section)?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:38 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
The only nightlife would be restaurants and the movie theater, as far as I know. I don't know about rentals, but I'm sure there are some. Most nightlife is on (and right off) Bloomfield Ave.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:35 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
Its a nice town, but if I were in your shoes, I may opt to live in neighboring Verona, Cedar Grove (or Clifton by the college). You will get more for your money and you can enjoy and spend much time in Montclair without having to reside there. Go for Verona, its a great town.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:40 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Montclair has the best used bookstore, its in some weird little off shoot of Bloomfield ave, the floors are all wooden, its really cool and a great place to met MEN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey