Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What are you including in that $100/sq. ft?
Everything you would expect from a newly built (2 story) home. Obviously no drapes, furniture, etc.

So a 3000 sq ft home is $300,000. The number is a little stale though.. it's probably a little higher nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Everything you would expect from a newly built (2 story) home. Obviously no drapes, furniture, etc.

So a 3000 sq ft home is $300,000.
Bare-bones. Ok, I get it.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 AM

107 posts, read 221,159 times
As I just wrote a day or two ago on another thread: "It seems like there have been a lot of threads recently where people are looking to move here without any idea what the real estate market is like, and they're consequently very underbudgeted for what they'd like."

From where are people getting the idea that New Jersey would be one of the more affordable states?

It's not comparable to moving to Nebraska, folks . . . or Detroit.

Especially anywhere in the northeastern part of the state is going to be very expensive. It's the Metro NYC area, which is probably the second most expensive area in the US, with the first being Metro San Francisco.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Or I could be the one assuming. The OP doesn't really provide enough information to give him an estimate.

I currently have a piece of land that I hope to build a home on one day. Trying to do as much of it myself as I can. I know certain parts (such as the basement) I'll need to contract out.
honestly, a majority of people I know would have zero shot at doing 25% of the work of building a home themselves. and if all you're doing is being the GC, it's almost worth avoiding the headaches to just hire a GC. the best-case scenario i can think of is if you have a lot of quality contacts in the various components of building a home.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
As I just wrote a day or two ago on another thread: "It seems like there have been a lot of threads recently where people are looking to move here without any idea what the real estate market is like, and they're consequently very underbudgeted for what they'd like."

From where are people getting the idea that New Jersey would be one of the more affordable states?

It's not comparable to moving to Nebraska, folks . . . or Detroit.

Especially anywhere in the northeastern part of the state is going to be very expensive. It's the Metro NYC area, which is probably the second most expensive area in the US, with the first being Metro San Francisco.

I totally agree with you, a lot of "What town can I get a 4 bedroom apt close to the beach, walkable downtown, 20 minutes to the city for under a $1,000?" lately!!

But you know what? Rereading OP's post and he's either A) EXTREMELY naive or B) a troll.

He mentions having been house hunting with his wife lately but not finding anything appealing, he also mentions that he would like to move to TX but would miss NJ for various reasons.

So the poster is from NJ AND has been house hunting but still has some kind of delussion about building his own home for $220k?? What were the homes he actually looked at priced???? Why would he think for a minute he's going to get some kind of new construction for that cheap, especially that mcmansion he posted???

Sorry but I call BS.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:00 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
So the poster is from NJ AND has been house hunting but still has some kind of delussion about building his own home for $220k?? What were the homes he actually looked at priced???? Why would he think for a minute he's going to get some kind of new construction for that cheap, especially that mcmansion he posted???

Sorry but I call BS.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought it was just a way to get that home builders site on the forum.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:02 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Quote:
In my town, $1000/month is the property tax on McMansions!

ooooh, what town!?

Honestly though, my property taxes are insane especially when you consider that my town has no public sewer, no fire dept & the school system is not a top rated district.

But you know what??

The house I bought in any other town would have cost 3x's as much, it's a very safe area & an excellent place to raise children. So I guess it's a wash...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
It will be a culture shock going from Texas to NJ. You can barely buy a one bedroom condo with $220,000.

That Meritage house on that link would cost 1 to 2 million dollars in New Jersey. I am not kidding.

This is not Texas. I don't think there is much land left to build a new home in Union.
that house would be in the 600's (maybe) in my town. it wouldn't quite look like that because I think that's Texas Limestone, which is plentiful and cheap there.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I was actually thinking the exact same thing, but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought it was just a way to get that home builders site on the forum.
100% BS but good for him. I love how people say they can buy this that and the other in some other state but then just sit around and complain all day instead of moving. If another state has such great things and equal pay get off your huge butt and move. Blah Blah blah family this and family that. Stop complaining and do something about it. If not then zip your lips.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Really?

What was wrong with it?
You save on electricty as the property glows at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey