Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 PM

376 posts, read 665,112 times

Advertisements

wow.. talk about extreme. the crazy thing is there was some incident that happened in florida where two teenage girls and some middle school girl stripped some 11 year old boy naked in front of everybody i school while the boy was screaming for help. they also taped the incident and put it up on youtube. all the girls in that incident got a slap on the wrists and the police department said that they were doing some "investigation" on the incident. SMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
You seem to forget the lack of contact. It's also a different state which means different standards for the charge.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Would this be something that can be "wiped away" when they turn 18 as juvenile incidents?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:19 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Let's say the boys had assualted them. Punched and kicked them pretty badly.
forty years ago that would've been treated as childsplay or maybe at worst case a fight. Which in either case rarely ended up with even a suspension. Parents called and a conference with the principal was the extent. So now we have zero tolerance rules and finally anti-bully laws.

We as a nation look at minors with pre-internet eyes. We expect parents to teach ethics and morals. We expected that when a child questioned something, someone in their group asked an adult. Well now we are in the full swing of ther internet age. So now many minors are getting all the answers from the internet and parents are no longer intervening. They have more access to knowledge than minors of forty years ago. Thus knowledge has grown and maturity has been put off to nearly the age of 30. so what needs to change? Our definition of a minor.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Would this be something that can be "wiped away" when they turn 18 as juvenile incidents?
If they were 19 instead of 14, would you give them the same chance?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:10 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If they were 19 instead of 14, would you give them the same chance?
If they were 19 then be adults...

Would you not expect a 14yr old to do certain things a 19yr old wouldn't? The difference between 19 and 14 is certainly not like the difference between 30-35 and such.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
If they were 19 then be adults...
Under what standards? Todays or 40 years ago.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
Did any of you read the transcript? The victom tried to run away was caught beaten, punched, headbutted and was forced to say he like it up the butt. Then the perp put his penis on the kids lips.

I for one am not willing to take a chance these animals however young they are get a chance to destroy anyone elses life.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/opinions/a4322-08a5855-08.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Under what standards? Todays or 40 years ago.
I see what you're driving at: you're saying 'mentally' an adult versus simply 'adult-aged'; I see your point. Still, I wouldn't punish them for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Did any of you read the transcript? The victom tried to run away was caught beaten, punched, headbutted and was forced to say he like it up the butt. Then the perp put his penis on the kids lips.

I for one am not willing to take a chance these animals however young they are get a chance to destroy anyone elses life.

It is indeed bad, and I DEFINITELY think they should be punished, and it should be bad. With that said, I don't think being punished bad should mean forever. I think a 14yr old can be reformed.

Last edited by 66nexus; 07-30-2011 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post

Did you read it? There were four older boys and four younger boys involved in the incident. Two of the younger boys ran away leaving four older boys and two younger boys.

The "catching, beating, punching, headbutt and saying they liked it up the butt" were acts committed by a third older boy, NOT the two who are now being placed on the Megan's Law registery. The two boys that we have been discussing did nothing more than what we always thought they did, put their butts on the younger kids faces, while the other two older boys involved held them down.

According to the transcript there was "inadvertent" contact between one of the older boys penis' to one of the younger boys lips, but this contact was uninentional and occurred while the older boy had his butt on the other kids face. The judges agreed that this was not sexual and not intended.

Reading the transcript I am further convinced that these two don't deserve a lifelong membership on the offender registery. What they did was an extreme act of bullying and they deserve to be punished for it, however, the punishment they are receiving is way over the top. No one is even talking about the third boy who actually beat up and assaulted one of the younger boys, which to me is a worse offense.

Even more heinous is some of the cases they use to cite precedent. One of them was a 12 year old boy who made a 4 year old girl perform oral sex on him and he did the same to her. The judges in that case considered it "an act of sexual curiosity" and decided Megan's Law and the criminal sexual contact laws shouldn't apply. IMO, that kid is a danger that I need to know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: