Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times

Advertisements

The US Supreme Court ruled that federal discrimination against married same-sex couples is unconstitutional. So those gay people who are married in the 13 states with gay marriage get federal rights.

Now Christie says he opposes gay marriage based on religious grounds (oddly he's not against gluttony). IMO that's a cop out since most Catholics don't pay any attention to most of what the leadership says. He's probably got an eye on the Republican primaries in 2016 and wants to look conservative enough in the Bible Thumpin' Belt to stand a chance.

Around 60% of New Jerseyans favor gay marriage. Will Chrissy throw his weight behind it or pretend he's such a holy roller that he'll continue to dodge the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
While Christie is Governor it will not pass....Next!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Honestly I think it depends on nationwide polls. Yes, most New Jerseyans support gay marriage. Most Americans support gay marriage. But do most Republican primary voters in America support gay marriage? Until that's true, I can't see Christie supporting it in NJ. I suspect we're being held hostage until one of six things happens:

1. Christie survives the presidential primaries in 2016, so he no longer needs to appeal to the conservative base (in which case signing a gay marriage bill in NJ could appeal to moderates in a general election)
2. Christie decides not to run for president (or be a VP) in 2016 and withdraws his opposition to gay marriage, allowing the legislature to pass a bill which he'd sign "not because he supports it but because he won't stand in the way of the will of the people" or something similar.
3. Nationwide polls (among voting Republicans) change on the issue, and it becomes advantageous to Christie to support it.
4. The NJ Legislature secures enough votes for gay marriage that it could override a Christie veto.
5. The issue just doesn't come up until we get a new governor.
6. Some kind of court challenge at the NJ Supreme Court or SCOTUS requires marriage be allowed in NJ.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM

249 posts, read 443,597 times
God-willing, Father Jersey will be spared.

-A born and raised Jersey Shore person who vehemently opposes gay-rights marriage in my home state

...of which, I have EVERY RIGHT to.

People need to cram their political correctness. I'm so sick of double standards.

" Be for gay people, and agree with gay marriage or you're a bad close-minded person! "

Really? The antithesis of what -liberal- means by definition, but, ok..

How 'bout for ONCE all the libs take their own advice and be OPEN-MINDED and accept those who disagree with Non-Hetero Marriage vows instead of condemning them?

Of course I'm not really asking. I know better.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
God-willing, Father Jersey will be spared.

-A born and raised Jersey Shore person who vehemently opposes gay-rights marriage in my home state

...of which, I have EVERY RIGHT to.

People need to cram their political correctness. I'm so sick of double standards.

" Be for gay people, and agree with gay marriage or you're a bad close-minded person! "

Really? The antithesis of what -liberal- means by definition, but, ok..

How 'bout for ONCE all the libs take their own advice and be OPEN-MINDED and accept those who disagree with Non-Hetero Marriage vows instead of condemning them?

Of course I'm not really asking. I know better.
The very thing that you're complaining about is precisely what DOMA was. DOMA was cramming the beliefs of one group of people down the throats of others.

There's a difference between:
1. Being opposed to gay marriage (in that you believe it's wrong/bad/etc.), and
2. Actively imposing your own opposition onto the lives of others through laws like DOMA.

In case 1, your personal beliefs are just that, personal, and agreed, nobody should try to pressure you to feel otherwise. In case 2, they have an impact on many, many other people. So you can't say "I support DOMA and that's my business, not yours," because DOMA has a direct impact on thousands (millions?) of others throughout the country. It is other people's business.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM

249 posts, read 443,597 times
I never said I support DOMA, I said I am opposed to GAY MARRIAGE. Stop making one mean the other.

The second is a PERSONAL belief, get it?

Legalized Gay Marriage in MY family's hometown DOES impact them and their quality of life, as it would mine if I moved back. The very same way a gay couple would feel surrounded by bible-thumping, cold, judging eyes is the the same way those who oppose gay marriage and find it offensive are forced to feel when eating out at a restaurant and having two grown men make out at the table across the way.

Not repulsive to YOU. I have a RIGHT to find it repulsive though! And to say otherwise is hypocritical!

People judging you behind your backs and that hurting you is Okay right? Good, then gay men tongueing each other in their yard next to my home is HURTING me too. Got it? Good. Get it

Some people find gay relationships very very off-putting and stomach-turning, but we need to just bear up and live and let live?

Okay then, just bear up as gay people and deal with the many stares and looks of contempt and disdain you get for simply holding your partner's hand. Deal? Deal. That's FAIR. But once you complain about that, I'm going to complain about it being shoved down my THROAT every five minutes in my community by having to witness the relationships which are detestable to my mind and my beliefs.

Once again, semantics from liberals who try to railroad anyone and EVERYONE who does not support their agendas.

Thank you for proving my point. I'm not debating this now. I know how it goes, and it's close-minded, as all liberals hypocritically tend to be.

I am against gay marriage and personally find it bad for any community. That's my view, and anyone who wants to be critical of it, is not by DEFINITION, a "Liberal"

Not coming back in here because it's just not worth the time or effort. Keep trying to make everyone agree and accept with your own personal views, just exclude me from them.

End of conversation.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
I never said I support DOMA, I said I am opposed to GAY MARRIAGE. Stop making one mean the other.

The second is a PERSONAL belief, get it?

Legalized Gay Marriage in MY family's hometown DOES impact them and their quality of life, as it would mine if I moved back. The very same way a gay couple would feel surrounded by bible-thumping, cold, judging eyes is the the same way those who oppose gay marriage and find it offensive are forced to feel when eating out at a restaurant and having two grown men make out at the table across the way.

Not repulsive to YOU. I have a RIGHT to find it repulsive though! And to say otherwise is hypocritical!

People judging you behind your backs and that hurting you is Okay right? Good, then gay men tongueing each other in their yard next to my home is HURTING me too. Got it? Good. Get it

Some people find gay relationships very very off-putting and stomach-turning, but we need to just bear up and live and let live?

Okay then, just bear up as gay people and deal with the many stares and looks of contempt and disdain you get for simply holding your partner's hand. Deal? Deal. That's FAIR. But once you complain about that, I'm going to complain about it being shoved down my THROAT every five minutes in my community by having to witness the relationships which are detestable to my mind and my beliefs.

Once again, semantics from liberals who try to railroad anyone and EVERYONE who does not support their agendas.

Thank you for proving my point. I'm not debating this now. I know how it goes, and it's close-minded, as all liberals hypocritically tend to be.

I am against gay marriage and personally find it bad for any community. That's my view, and anyone who wants to be critical of it, is not by DEFINITION, a "Liberal"

Not coming back in here because it's just not worth the time or effort. Keep trying to make everyone agree and accept with your own personal views, just exclude me from them.

End of conversation.
I'm not trying to "make one mean the other." that's why I made the distinction in the first place. Thank you for making my point.

Second, I didn't criticize you or your beliefs, so don't pretend I did.

Third, I'm just curious why or how gay marriage affects your family. You state it as matter of fact, but don't say why or how. I'm just curious in what ways this has any impact on you if you're not in a gay marriage. (since you thought my last post was some sort of attack on you, I'll reiterate, this is not. Just a question so I can understand).

Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM

So 12ronin, do you support those great defenders of "traditional" marriage like Trump & Gin-grinch who trade-in wives every 10 yrs or so?

And people had religious objections to interracial marriage 50 yr ago too. Times do change.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I think it is terrible that because fat ugly Christie believes that a marriage is between a man and a woman that everyone else that is different has to suffer because of HIS beliefs.

Terrible.

To think one man, that is no different from another man has the right to inflict HIS decison on us.

It is a shame that this is how the world is.

I think they should call it something other than a marriage because this seems to create some sort of confusion, how about smarriage, that would be between 2 men, would that fat ugly ass Chritise like that better.

What people do not believe is that this has nothing to do with religion, so they need to get over that.

religion has been the problem of the world since day one.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM

The problem with caling it domestic partnership is that it doesn't carry the same weight as "marriage" legally.

Christie's on the wrong side of history here. And with his comments last night, he's doubling down on the stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey