Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM

469 posts, read 1,639,873 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about sussex county, I met someone from their last year and I really loved hearing about the area. How is it during the winter and summer time? Is it as congested as say bergen county? What is it like, what are some good places to visit, some good restaurants, etc. Any good lakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
I don't know too much about it being that I've only been there once while visiting a friend. It's pretty rural and gets kinda mountainous at times and is NOTHING like Bergan County (and I hope to God it stays that way). I know there's also good lakes around there too.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM

I want to know about it because it is not like bergen county, that is why I like it and that is why it appeals to me.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 PM

60 posts, read 158,677 times
Sussex County and Passaic county (Ringwood, Wanaque, and West Milford parts of Passaic) Are nice areas..it is basically rural areas. You have Vernon/Highland lakes/Barry Lakes in Sussex county which have community lakes. They are nice, the only thing is it is horrible in the winter when it snows. Passaic County in Ringwood you have the botanical gardens,Skyline Manner, and Ringwood Manner and Sheppard's Lake...and then you have 3 community lakes Skyline Lake, Erskine Lake, and Cupsaw lake. Erskine lake is the only lake I have been in. And it is fun to go ice skating on during the winter. Taxes are pretty high in Wanaque and Ringwood...really high actually...West Milford is a little more reasonable on taxes..And has Lake waywaynda(SP?).Sames with Sussex county..depends on where you are on the tax rate

Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Rural, wooded, wildlife, lake communities and, depending where you are in the county, convenient to shopping and entertainment although not as convenient as in a more congested, strip mall packed setting, which is considered fine by many.

I live in Sussex County and for me and my family it's the best place to live in NJ.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Sussex County of very nice and the majority of it is very rural. There are some "built up" areas as well though. Definitely a nice place to live IMO, you may also consider looking in Warren County as well.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
I lived in Sussex County for 20 years. You might like Panther Lake in Andover which you can camp at. I think also you can buy a daily pass to swim and picnic. Look up Panter lake resort...
That is a nice peaceful place.
In off season you might like the Hopatcong State Park, but in summers it is quite full and not as enjoyable.
Along the far shores of Hopatcong are nice places to dine on the water. The Windless is a good place for that. If not heading there by boat...get a good map, it is nestled in.
Sussex was a wonderful place to live in NJ... and no, it is not crowded as Bergen.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Thank you, what are some good places to eat and some good places to visit in the spring and summer? By the way, how expensive is living in sussex versus bergen?

Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Can someone tell me about sussex county, I met someone from their last year and I really loved hearing about the area. How is it during the winter and summer time? Is it as congested as say bergen county? What is it like, what are some good places to visit, some good restaurants, etc. Any good lakes?
Sussex County is a middle class secluded area in the hills. It has lots of resort areas to go in the summer and winter. Because of its rural setting, winter is going to be a little colder and wetter than it would be in east Jersey (Bergen, Hudson counties). Summer is a lot cooler though. A lot of people that can afford it own summer homes in Sussex County because it's generally cooler, cleaner and lots of lakes and what not. It's not congested at all. Very rural. Use the street view feature on google maps to get an idea and a feel of what it's like.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
When it comes to Sussex County, much of the land mass falls under the purview of the Highlands Commission. I am not an urban planner, but I believe there are constrained development areas that state that a lot being developed has to be at least 1/3rd of an acre. As a result of this, you have a very desirable, uniquely zoned county, in many areas. There are some towns that adhere to this with regard to their master plans, as well. If you are a fan of homes with individual character (not the mass-produced, 7 per acre variety) then you will love Sussex County. However, a byproduct of this type of regulation is that average home prices are going to skew higher, as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey