Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Could you please teach me how to do that?
Since you asked so nice, of course I will !!

Check your DM !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,457 times
Default try these towns

In PA: springfield ( delaware county)- very nice town I used to live there but left recently. Homes are anywhere from 200- 500. Building some new homes too; has good schools, good hospital and a really great gym( healthplex)

King of Prussia - great restaurants and schools are decent; traffic can be frustrating if you are too close to mall

radnor- best school in area but expensive

IN NJ - there are plenty of good places , mullica hill, washington township, cherry hill all have really good schools...good luck

quote=jenne03;1264226]I gotta say there are a lot here that really don't like NJ. I know it's expensive and corrupt. I have seen people come back to this board and tell everyone how much they hate NJ..and they have already moved some place else..but HAD to come back to still say NJ stinks. Others complain about NJ and they don't even live there!

As someone who is moving into the area...it is very disheartening. I am just here to gather information on schools, areas that are a good place to raise a family, crime , etc. What frustrates me is when I post, I get a ton of private messages telling me not to come NJ and how much I will hate it. I have pm's telling me I am making the worst choice for my family. We are getting transferred to Philadelphia...I have to find a place to live. Pa isn't as cheap as everyone says it is. I can get more house even with the unbelieveable taxes in South NJ.

It's just hard for people who come on here to find out info and they are told how horrible the place they are about to move too is.

If you go to other boards...they all complain about the same thing. You should see some of the Maryland board<where I am living now> . It is the same complaints of how expensive it is. I have seen the Rhode Island board where they are talking about crime and corruption too.

Sorry, I just needed to vent a bit just because it has been so frustrating. But thank you to the people who are on this board who do like to help and share information. There a quite a bit of you and I have learned some things.[/quote]

Old 08-20-2007, 09:57 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
My husband and I always laugh at how the gas is cheaper in NJ...AND we don't have to pump it!! You really appreciate it in the winter and on really hot days!!

Roselvr, I know the taxes in Gloucester county are high..but I didn't know about the water bill...why is that high compared to other places?
This reminds me of the first time i filled the tank out here
you would have thought i was robbing the place with all the people that came running out and yelling at me for pumping my own gas, I did not know
so i put my card in and just started pumping (i can still here all the voices yelling at me) After they calmed down they washed my windows (with the dirty water of course) I went on my way and have not gone back to that station as of yet!
Now i just put the car at the pump tell the guy what i want and go get a coffee

Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
It was nice to hear such great responses..even with the dorky lyrics tahiti!
I actually used to live in Nj as a kid..in the burlington county area. It has changed some since I left...a little more traffic. So I am familiar with the Cherry Hill/Medford/Marlton area.

We are actually looking in the Mullica Hill/Mickelton/East Greenwich.....
I've lived in the Marlton/Medford area for over 10 years and am pretty happy here.

If I were to make a move within the area I'd consider western Monmouth county or the area around Mullica Hill. I don't know anything about schools of services in those areas, but they look great when you're driving through.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,940 times
I just moved here from Northern California and I love it. It's certainly different, but refreshing in many ways. People aren't so afraid of having their space invaded. Just wish I could find a job....

Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 PM

223 posts, read 796,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy View Post
In PA: springfield ( delaware county)- very nice town I used to live there but left recently. Homes are anywhere from 200- 500. Building some new homes too; has good schools, good hospital and a really great gym( healthplex)

King of Prussia - great restaurants and schools are decent; traffic can be frustrating if you are too close to mall

radnor- best school in area but expensive

IN NJ - there are plenty of good places , mullica hill, washington township, cherry hill all have really good schools...good luck

quote=jenne03;1264226]I gotta say there are a lot here that really don't like NJ. I know it's expensive and corrupt. I have seen people come back to this board and tell everyone how much they hate NJ..and they have already moved some place else..but HAD to come back to still say NJ stinks. Others complain about NJ and they don't even live there!

As someone who is moving into the area...it is very disheartening. I am just here to gather information on schools, areas that are a good place to raise a family, crime , etc. What frustrates me is when I post, I get a ton of private messages telling me not to come NJ and how much I will hate it. I have pm's telling me I am making the worst choice for my family. We are getting transferred to Philadelphia...I have to find a place to live. Pa isn't as cheap as everyone says it is. I can get more house even with the unbelieveable taxes in South NJ.

It's just hard for people who come on here to find out info and they are told how horrible the place they are about to move too is.

If you go to other boards...they all complain about the same thing. You should see some of the Maryland board<where I am living now> . It is the same complaints of how expensive it is. I have seen the Rhode Island board where they are talking about crime and corruption too.

Sorry, I just needed to vent a bit just because it has been so frustrating. But thank you to the people who are on this board who do like to help and share information. There a quite a bit of you and I have learned some things.
[/quote]

i don't think it's very difficult for folks to visit a forum like this one and find out objective information about NJ. you claim to be as objective a source as those who disagree with you. to cast those individuals as unreasonably complaining "about the same thing" is to cut off alternative viewpoints, which is disingenuous of you. let the perspectives air and the readers will decide what information to take in. there are enough know-it-alls in NJ.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
A web board is not the place to gather info if you are considering a move like this for real. It's just not. Anyone who would use this forum in their actual decision process needs to have their head examined.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 AM

25 posts, read 88,051 times
Quote:
I gotta say there are a lot here that really don't like NJ. I know it's expensive and corrupt. I have seen people come back to this board and tell everyone how much they hate NJ..and they have already moved some place else..but HAD to come back to still say NJ stinks. Others complain about NJ and they don't even live there!

Sorry, I just needed to vent a bit just because it has been so frustrating. But thank you to the people who are on this board who do like to help and share information. There a quite a bit of you and I have learned some things.
Don't be disheartened. Everyone has their own unique set of experiences. I have a feeling that of the real bitter ones have just made really bad decisions and they blame it on the state (I'm sure I'll get pounded for that statement). I moved away from NJ in the early 90s for college, but I intend to return and I visit friends in NJ every year. There is an intangible quality about NJ that you either appreciate or you don't.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,667 times
I think coming on a board like this is a great way to gather some information. Did I come on here and read the posts and then make a decision? No, I already knew where I was looking. I looked into the schools, the crime, the demographics, etc. I did a ton of research on the areas I am considering. I have also visited the area. Sometimes it is good to hear from people that have actually lived there...or have driven around the area. When I was looking out in the Philly area, I didn't have a clue on commute times. I don't have the time to go to Philly during rush hour and drive it myself. So I went on the boards to find out "true" commute times.

I think boards like these can be a great starting point too. If you have no idea what areas to even start in. Maybe I do need my head examined for trying to gather as much info as possible. I thought I was just being informed.

I also wasn't "cutting off alternative viewpoints" or casting "individuals as unreasonably complaining". There are a lot of people who do come on these boards to complain about NJ..about the corruption and expense. My point was that these issues are not just New jersey's problem. NJ is not alone in this...on other boards people have similar views about their state. And yes, it does boggle me to see people who move away and are living their lives in other states come back to the NJ board to still talk about what a horrible state it is. I don't understand that.

I was annoyed that when I would come on here asking questions, I would get pm's about how horrible NJ is. There are people out there who come to the boards as a starting point as to where to look. They want to know about some towns that are decent and safe or where the best schools are .This board can be a great resource for info like that. I just wanted to ask and not have it turn into a NJ is horrible thread.

Can I ignore the pm's ..yes. Can I ignore the posts, ..yes... I just was airing my frustrations about all the pm's I received. I was annoyed and frustrated and I vented. I am told that I need to let other's perspectives air....I didn't think I was stopping that or standing in the way of that.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,667 times
thanks jz..I just need to vent at that point..it was nice to hear the good things about NJ for a change! There has got to be something good about it since a ton of people still live in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey