Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i make a point of putting things back properly because of some of my high school/college jobs.

at retail clothing stores, we had to have all the hangers facing the same direction. at the end of the night, we had to go through the store and fix everything. so now, i hang things up the proper way. i also try my best to fold clothes when i pick them up and look at them. at blockbuster, we had to go through the entire wall of dvds/vhs and make sure they all ligned up properly. putting a product back where it belongs is something i do. even when it's out of my way to do it. i don't know why, it's like something is controlling me. it bugs me to just take something out of the cart and toss it on a shelf.
Bwahahaha. Me too. I always fold clothes exactly how I found them and put them back exactly where I found them. And the hangers thing...that actually seeped into my personal, non-work life. It was so ingrained in me at work that I started doing it at home and never stopped.

My pet peeve, though, is at the supermarket when people toss perishable items anywhere they want. I swear to god I just about have a panic attack if I see a package of bacon in the shampoo aisle or something. NOOOO!!! Save the bacon!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think that the biggest jerks of all were some of the folks whom I encountered when I drove a limo, back in the '80s. My customers ranged from regular middle-class folks right up to the super-wealthy--including a few VPs from AT&T/Bell Labs (whatever they called the company based in Murray Hill in those days), and also the CEO of Household Finance Corp.

The regular middle-class folks were actually the nicest (and good tippers in most cases), and the super-wealthy were decent overall. However, the Nouveau Riche Upper Middle Class were almost always totally self-absorbed, self-important, pompous jerks. The worst were the wives of a couple of AT&T upper management guys.
Ha. At the last firm I worked I used to get car service if I worked late nights. I got chummy with some of the drivers and they'd tell me some unbelievable stories about some of the C-levels. Plus, my uncle is a retired driver so I've heard it all. The biggest gripe I used to hear is about the backseat drivers who could never be pleased. You'd advise them that you were taking Route X because Route Y is jammed, but they'd complain that Route X is going in a very roundabout manner and DEMAND that you take Route Y. Then they'd blame you for the traffic that you warned them about in the first place.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
[quote=seque5tra;20332756]Bwahahaha. Me too. I always fold clothes exactly how I found them and put them back exactly where I found them. And the hangers thing...that actually seeped into my personal, non-work life. It was so ingrained in me at work that I started doing it at home and never stopped.

My pet peeve, though, is at the supermarket when people toss perishable items anywhere they want. I swear to god I just about have a panic attack if I see a package of bacon in the shampoo aisle or something. NOOOO!!! Save the bacon!!!![/quote]

ROFL.

I was in a department store last night and saw some stupid woman pushing her cart with a toddler in it, and she just careened right past a rack of baby clothes and knocked a bunch of them to the floor, turned and looked at them for a moment, then kept going. I wanted to call her bad names, but I resisted and just put the clothes back on the rack. God'll get her.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:47 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,453 times
Default Kudos to those who politely and effectively complain!

There's a direct correlation between the degree of customer service and the behavior of shoppers. At stores where there is no customer service whatsoever, its common to see merchandise all over the place. Perhaps if shopping hadn't become such a job for the buyer -- it would be different. You don't see clothes on the floor of Nordstrom's. You also can easily find your size or a sales person to help you.

And it's not purely about price point, (socioeconmics) either.

Shoppers at Trader Joe's get treated exceptionally well by the employees so they go out of their way to put things back and help the store stay tidy. (And contrary to the OP's experience I think most Target stores treat shoppers relatively well. Not always but it's part of their value system. They refer to customers as "guests" for example).

It's all about mutual respect -- and it starts with the management. If managers treat their employees with a positive attitude and with respect -- they tend to treat the customers the same way.

We could start with Wall Street investers wanting lightning fast ROI. Push it all downhill and make sure every KPI is about squeezing blood from turnips.....It's like saying that "the" government isn't us. Tail chasing dog and all of that.....

So if we want better service, we need to ask for it. And if we want to be treated pleasantly by clerks, let's remember to treat them pleasantly and not complain about things they have no control over. And kudos to those who politely and effectively complain up the chain! Collect names. Google the names of executives. Write letters. And occasionally write one to compliment somebody. It will help the economy and improve the quality of life in this country.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM

52 posts, read 103,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Bwahahaha. Me too. I always fold clothes exactly how I found them and put them back exactly where I found them. And the hangers thing...that actually seeped into my personal, non-work life. It was so ingrained in me at work that I started doing it at home and never stopped.

My pet peeve, though, is at the supermarket when people toss perishable items anywhere they want. I swear to god I just about have a panic attack if I see a package of bacon in the shampoo aisle or something. NOOOO!!! Save the bacon!!!!
I still refold clothes while shopping, and don't even realize I'm doing it half the time! Funny how some habits stick.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

28 posts, read 99,675 times
Walmart on route 9 at Old Bridge is the worst - specially this rude arrogant silly ***** in customer service - granted these are not easy jobs etc...but one thing you don't do is yell and throw attitude at a paying customer - if you don't want to be pleasant or smile, thats fine but if you are not happy with something about your job or whatever, don't take it out on the customer.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmehta76 View Post
Walmart on route 9 at Old Bridge is the worst - specially this rude arrogant silly ***** in customer service

I would never defend poor customer service, but...this is a Wal-Mart--not Nordstrom's--that you are talking about!
Do you really think that most of those Wally World customers would even know the difference between good customer service and outright hostility?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM

143 posts, read 302,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I would never defend poor customer service, but...this is a Wal-Mart--not Nordstrom's--that you are talking about!
Do you really think that most of those Wally World customers would even know the difference between good customer service and outright hostility?

It's funny. I was just in the Saddle Brook Walmart today returning something and the girl at the returns counter was very sweet and friendly.

And I've had very rude salespeople at Bloomingdale's.

So you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey