Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times

Advertisements

A little bit of an update....

Painting in the hot sun kind of sucks, but hey, my porch has never been whiter After atleast 9 years without being painted, just one coat and its looking mighty nice. Posts have been repainted in pure ultra white; I'll be painting the flooring next weekend, along with the front door and some more trim. Siding to come after that. The trim colors are a white and robins egg blue; the siding is going to be a tan.

On another note - carpenter bees are irritating, Sevin 5% dust works great at taking them out I'll be redoing my bee prevention later in the week to make sure they are all killed off before plugging the 3/4" holes they made.

I'll put up some pics of the front porch next week, after I've done the floor, as long as everyone is willing to ignore the horribly ugly siding color for the moment

I fixed up the front door also this weekend, though I haven't painted it yet. Even though the filler I used is structural, and supposedly takes 15 minutes to dry, some of the fills were pretty thick, so I want to be sure its dried out before I paint it.

I finally found the bead board I was looking for, so I'm hoping the porch won't take too long - this way I can tackle the rest of the bathroom (minus tiling the tub area). Bead board wainscot in white, chair rail, painted above that. I found the loose mirror pieces I needed for my recessed medicine cabinet, it should take me about a half a day to tackle that one. After that, its onto the dining room, hopefully I'll have found a desk I can convert into a bar by then, before working on the basement.

I'd take some pics, but my gf stole my camera for today, so none atm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
Looking forward to seeing the results! Thanks for the update.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Keep up the good work....get those pics on soon

Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 AM

Since today is an inside kind of day, I thought I'd post up pics of a mini project. For disposal of dog doo-doo, most of us pet owners go the used shoprite or newspaper bag route... one problem though...

The were sliding past the regular garbage bags in the can, and weren't all getting out when the trash got picked up! So, the gf and I decided to get a pooper scooper and a poop pail. Found a small aluminum can at lowes, kind of looked like this:

I decided it should be brown for... obvious reasons. Ruddy Brown Primer, then Dark Brown paint, then a little printing and cutting later (stencil), I sprayed some hammered silver on it to make it obvious who this was for...

Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0488-resized.jpg  

Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Cute idea, but doesn't it reek when you open it???

Old 05-31-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Cute idea, but doesn't it reek when you open it???
Nope, not really.

She only eats dry dog food. Wet foods and table scraps... wow, thats when you get some serious smelly stuff... but dry dog food, the odor is very minor. Also, at the bottom of the can (and a bit in each bag), some baking soda is in there, that takes care of the rest of it.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Whats in the can, can we take a look, I'm getting ready to eat.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:53 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Whats in the can, can we take a look, I'm getting ready to eat.

eeew! JM, yuck-ee!

CC: that is so cute! I'm gonna steal your idea and make a doggy-doo can.
Yeppers, you are correct, dry dog food keeps the reek down. We have 2 doggies.

Shanny

Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 PM

In the same vein as the last, here is the MPOTD (Mini-Project-Of-The-Day) for today

After closing on the house, I bought a new handleset for the front door - the Kwikset Ashfield in rustic bronze (attached). The problem was, my exterior fixture didn't come in rustic bronze, but rust (IMG_490). I have looked all over, and nothing quite matches the look of the Ashfield. So, I thought I'd try and breathe some life into the existing rusty mess.

First step is the sanding process, getting it all cleaned up (IMG_491). I then used my red primer (Rustoleum rocks!) to protect it, and make it a better surface for the paint (IMG_492). I then hit it with some rustoleum hammered copper, but thats a bit too bright and clean all by itself... the Ashfield Rustic Bronze coloring has quite a bit of dark shade to it, with most of the bright hammered bronze color coming through in the edges and along various mock pits.

So, I then misted a dark brown (what I used on the poop pail) to simulate the look (IMG_493, IMG_494). I then had a pretty decent match, so I assembled away (IMG_500) and reinstalled it (ignore the dirty ugly siding, painting hasn't started there yet! IMG_502).

Thus completing the MPOTD - Rusty Rustic Fixture.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm ready to own... 5k...-s5qbaa.jpg   I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0490-resized.jpg   I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0491-resized.jpg   I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0492-resized.jpg   I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0493-resized.jpg  

I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0494-resized.jpg   I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0500-resized.jpg   I'm ready to own... 5k...-img_0502-resized.jpg  

Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,371 times
So what do your neighbors say Cu?? They must be really happy with all the changes you have made.

Why don't you take tomorrow off and actually relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey