Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
You think that the fact that the gap between CEO/Executive pay and rank-and-file member pay has grown exponentially over the past 30 years is fair? I'd hate to see what you think unfair is.
yes, its fair.

verizon has a total stock value of about $95 billion. a good ceo can be responsible for increasing that say 5-10% per year. so shareholders are expecting that ceo to create wealth of $4.75-9.5 billion in a year. if they are able to do that, then paying that person $20 million isnt unreasonable.

any given employee cant possibly create the kind of wealth a successful ceo can create (or lose). so because of that, a few people will be worth a great sum of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, its fair.

verizon has a total stock value of about $95 billion. a good ceo can be responsible for increasing that say 5-10% per year. so shareholders are expecting that ceo to create wealth of $4.75-9.5 billion in a year. if they are able to do that, then paying that person $20 million isnt unreasonable.

any given employee cant possibly create the kind of wealth a successful ceo can create (or lose). so because of that, a few people will be worth a great sum of money.
i get that the CEO, and other execs, are valuable. But that doesn't change the fact that the gap between CEO and Employee has gotten wider, and wider. And I don't really hear any justification for that. The CEO can't create that growth without the employees, and the employees can't do it without the executive leadership.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
The CEO can't create that growth without the employees, and the employees can't do it without the executive leadership.
but the regular employees are much more disposable than a ceo who can create large amounts of shareholder wealth. the best fios installer cant be worth more than a few thousand bucks more than an average fios installer (may be worth the same as far as i know, just using that for the concept).

Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
Quote:
but the regular employees are much more disposable than a ceo who can create large amounts of shareholder wealth. the best fios installer cant be worth more than a few thousand bucks more than an average fios installer (may be worth the same as far as i know, just using that for the concept).
Ding Ding DIng. If the exec boards of companies didnt think these guys provided value at their salaries, why would they pay them those salaries. Again, supply and demand.

Go ask Apple board and stockholders what they think Steve Jobs is worth. When it was reported a few years ago he had pancreatic cancer, the stock tanked something like 10%+ in a matter of SECONDS. The day it is announced that he is leaving the company, that stock will get a 20%+ haircut.

Also, read this today, stay classy striking Verizon workers...

Striking Verizon Workers Destroying Internet Cables?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
That's the modern attitude. I'm currently in an area where AT&T rules. Their customer service doesn't exist. They once came to my house when I wasn't home & hooked me up for service, leaving a note that it was hooked & ready for me to start using, & tried to argue with me for an hour when I called them & informed them that I had not ordered service from them & did not want it. 50% of the random people who I know who took their U-Verse service hate it & have had nothing but trouble. People are leaving them & will take service with anyone that is not AT&T.

So, no, the rank & file employees are important.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I'm not sure how one would determine how many times perons A's salary is over person B's salary is "fair". Personally this has nothing to do with "fair". Companies decide how much to pay people. I don't think they are under any obligation to be "fair". If it is a public company the only obligation they should have is a fiduciary one to the shareholders.

If someone doesn't think they are getting paid what they are worth they should look for another job. That will be the ultimate validation. Find a job for more money and you were right. Can't find a job for more money and you were wrong.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times
Well said. I find, more times then not, people would rather stay in a situation and complain about it then actually try and find a solution.

If you are not happy where you are, with what you make or with the ebnefits you received try and find something better...the problem is that in the case of a lot of the union jobs...there is nothing better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm not sure how one would determine how many times perons A's salary is over person B's salary is "fair". Personally this has nothing to do with "fair". Companies decide how much to pay people. I don't think they are under any obligation to be "fair". If it is a public company the only obligation they should have is a fiduciary one to the shareholders.

If someone doesn't think they are getting paid what they are worth they should look for another job. That will be the ultimate validation. Find a job for more money and you were right. Can't find a job for more money and you were wrong.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Ding Ding DIng. If the exec boards of companies didnt think these guys provided value at their salaries, why would they pay them those salaries. Again, supply and demand.

Go ask Apple board and stockholders what they think Steve Jobs is worth. When it was reported a few years ago he had pancreatic cancer, the stock tanked something like 10%+ in a matter of SECONDS. The day it is announced that he is leaving the company, that stock will get a 20%+ haircut.

Also, read this today, stay classy striking Verizon workers...

Striking Verizon Workers Destroying Internet Cables?
how was the supply and demand of CEOs so much more plentiful 30 years ago that the gap in pay was so much smaller?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

yes, but you have to look at companies that choose to treat their employees well, even though that's not the typical mantra of a public company. many companies believe that treating their employees well with good salary and good benefits hurts the bottom line, yet there are companies out there that defy that. there was an article about how companies that treat their employees well were better able to survive the recession than those that don't and reacted by cutting pay, cutting hours, layoffs, etc. it's not conventional wisdom, but it seems to have some standing.

i just don't think it's as simple as people say. employment isn't purely supply and demand, because the employer holds most of the power. look at companies like Zappos and SAS.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Treating your employees like X will have a certain impact to your business.
Treating your employees like Y will have a cartain impact to your business.
Treating your employees like Z will have a cartain impact to your business.

There isn't going to be one right answer. Each company needs to decide the best strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey