Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,936,163 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are just starting out and are looking for somewhere we can live together that is centrally located between our jobs/schools, and cheap enough to allow us to save for a home of our own. I work in Princeton Junction and she works in Hopatcong, and to complicate matters she attends Seton Hall for graduate school and I will begin graduate school at Rutgers in the spring. Through a highly scientific process of using a map of New Jersey, pushpins, and string I was able to determine that the abovementioned areas make the most sense for us to consider.

I am originally from Trenton and my fiancee hails from Sussex County-as a result neither of us know much about Union County. Both of us want to live somewhere safe that isn't a complete dump, but as I said, I'm from Trenton (and darn proud of it). My street smarts tell me where to go and where not to and when, and diversity and/or hearing a foreign language spoken doesn't scare me. Also we do not have children nor do we plan to have any soon, so the schools are of no concern to us.

First off-is there a viable downtown in either of these areas? In other words, could I find a place within walking distance of the train station where I could walk to the drugstore/grocery/coffee shop/corner bar/etc...? Or is the downtown area pretty dead? Next, what are areas to really stay away from? There seems to be quite difference between North Plainfield and Plainfield from what I can see. For example, while a $750 per month apartment can be had in Plainfield, utilities included, North Mountain Ridge in North Plainfield has apartments starting at $900. We figure our maximum needs to be around $1100, but less would be nice. Can anyone offer some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,936,163 times
Hmmm...not encouraging How about Fanwood, Scotch Plains, Westfield, etc...

Old 03-18-2008, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,221 times
Default What bout managed apartments

I am looking for apartment from where I can easily comute to NYC. I found apartments in North Plainfield comparitively cheaper and bigger... I have heard mixed up things about the city, what doyou thing bout the area near by say, "Northwood Apartments"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey