U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,855,399 times

Advertisements

Keyport, Cliffwood Beach, Aberdeen, Union Beach, South Amboy, MOrgan?

Just looking to know if they are safe places with somewhat reasonable house or condo prices with easy commute to Jersey City
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:09 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,855,399 times
or maybe a couple of them are considered to be in Southern NJ

Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM

79,198 posts, read 73,212,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
or maybe a couple of them are considered to be in Southern NJ
No, central. Keyport is kind of ratty-looking, although I do like the coffee shops and stores on Front Street by the water. I go there for a meeting once or twice a month, but last time there was a large group of sleazy-looking teenagers hanging out on the streets around 9 at night. I don't get scared even in bad neighborhoods, but these were the kind who saw my car coming and waited until the last minute to slowly walk out of the way, staring me down the whole time. It was a little creepy.

One of the women I commute with gets on at South Amboy. She and her husband have lived there for years and they seem happy there. I was surprised to learn she lived there, because I thought it was slummy judging by what I could see from the train, but that's often the case--a lot of the areas nearest the train stations are run down but the rest of the town could be nicer.

Aberdeen seems to be a popular, nice town.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM

10,661 posts, read 15,143,509 times
There are good and bad areas of most towns.

Also, depends on what you considered reasonable to spend?

I love watching First Time Home Buyers (TV) and they're looking to spend $700,000 for their first house.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM

107 posts, read 192,547 times
I know Aberdeen is nice. I live in East Brunswick, which is Central NJ but I am looking to move to something a little cheaper. It is too expensive here, don't ge me wrong it's really nice but it's a bit pricey. Most of the areas in Central NJ are pretty nice. I'm sure you'll find something nice and reasonable. Good Luck.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM

71 posts, read 282,596 times
A friend of mine lives in Aberdeen. Looks like a great town from what I have seen. Wouldn't mind moving there myself, since the NJ Tranist can take me to NY Penn Station for work. What are apt prices like?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM

85 posts, read 206,290 times
I'd suggest Hazlet/Holmdel too

Old 08-16-2011, 12:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 2,871,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM402 View Post
I'd suggest Hazlet/Holmdel too
These two towns are about as opposite as can be. Holmdel's schools are certainly the best in that area, but how much can you spend?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM

10,162 posts, read 9,591,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, central. Keyport is kind of ratty-looking, although I do like the coffee shops and stores on Front Street by the water. I go there for a meeting once or twice a month, but last time there was a large group of sleazy-looking teenagers hanging out on the streets around 9 at night. I don't get scared even in bad neighborhoods, but these were the kind who saw my car coming and waited until the last minute to slowly walk out of the way, staring me down the whole time. It was a little creepy.

One of the women I commute with gets on at South Amboy. She and her husband have lived there for years and they seem happy there. I was surprised to learn she lived there, because I thought it was slummy judging by what I could see from the train, but that's often the case--a lot of the areas nearest the train stations are run down but the rest of the town could be nicer.

Aberdeen seems to be a popular, nice town.

Middlesex/Somerset/Hunterdon counties are central Jersey. Everything south of those 3 counties is "south Jersey" everything else north of those 3 counties is north Jersey. Maybe only to those who actually live in central Jersey, but that's how anyone I know who lives in central Jersey feels.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 PM

2,977 posts, read 4,014,942 times
^I disagree. Middlesex south of the Raritan River, Monmouth, and Mercer counties are what I consider to be central NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey