Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,915,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I think the problem is that most non-minorities assume all white candidates are qualfied and all nonwhites are unqualified, and that is nothing but BS.
The BS is the above statement.

When people say "non minorities" they usually mean white guys. Let me know if I'm wrong in this case.

I can tell you, being a "non minority", that most of us (or, most of those I know) ABSOLUTELY DO NOT believe the ridiculous drivel you ascribe to us. We do not feel that all white candidates are qualified and all non whites are not. That statement is nothing but mindless, bigoted, RACIST tripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The BS is the above statement.

When people say "non minorities" they usually mean white guys. Let me know if I'm wrong in this case.
No, I did mean white guys. But I did NOT mean ALL white guys. I mean some white guys. In fact, I meant a significant (not a majority) percentage of white guys.

Quote:
I can tell you, being a "non minority", that most of us (or, most of those I know) ABSOLUTELY DO NOT believe the ridiculous drivel you ascribe to us. We do not feel that all white candidates are qualified and all non whites are not. That statement is nothing but mindless, bigoted, RACIST tripe.

Sue me.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,542,723 times
N double A C P,,, is that the Negro Association for the Advancement of Chinese People?

Anyway all this talk about race and racism is all just mindless drivel. Nobody is a minority either. That's another phone make believe word.

Quit pretending and just get real.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,915,122 times
Quote:
No, I did mean white guys. But I did NOT mean ALL white guys. I mean some white guys. In fact, I meant a significant (not a majority) percentage of white guys.

Sue me.
You should be careful to say what you mean then. Because in the post to which I responded you said MOST non minorities. MOST is in fact a synonym of majority.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,542,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You should be careful to say what you mean then. Because in the post to which I responded you said MOST non minorities. MOST is in fact a synonym of majority.
That's why people shouldn't call other people minorities. That term is so outdated and hearing it is like screeching chalk across a blackboard. Besides just say whatever you mean and quit using pretend words.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
What was wrong with what he was doing? I guess you think there's nothing wrong with racial profiling of citizens or racist and sexist harassment in the ranks.

I don't address it because I really don't give a damn. I know there is a chance that there are shenanigans going on in the recruitment and background check process, but if a candidate is really good, he/she'll make it through.

I have no problem with quotas on their face; we just have to make sure we recruit qualified people to fill them. I think the problem is that most non-minorities assume all white candidates are qualfied and all nonwhites are unqualified, and that is nothing but BS.
1) You completely missed my first point. I was in fact explaining how difficult it would be for a police chief (of any color) to enforce neccessary change on the current rank and file if their union were strong enough.

2) We agree on your middle section. However, to sue over bias it needs to be *material*

3) I'm not super down on quotas, sometimes you do need them to break through initial walls. My primary point was it appears they are reaching out and getting lots of applicants that pass the written exam but fail the checks.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM

76 posts, read 242,719 times
Why do we even need a state police? NJ got along fine until the 1920s without one. For state police, the current starting salary for a trooper is $58,748.29 (including uniform allowance). The second-year total compensation jumps to $65,662.39. Top pay for a Trooper I is $97,188.48. Troopers receive yearly increments. All recruits receive $777.78 every two weeks, plus overtime pay. Room and board are also provided while training.
•Service Retirement: After 20 years of service as a New Jersey State Trooper, you are eligible to receive a pension, regardless of age, consisting of 50% of your final compensation.
•Special Retirement: After 25 years of service as a New Jersey State Trooper, you are eligible to receive a pension, regardless of age, consisting of 65% of your final compensation plus 1% for each year above 25 years. The maximum benefit that you can receive under a special retirement is 70% of your final compensation. With overtime, some of these people make $150,00 to $200,000 a year.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/salary.html

Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_lepore View Post
Why do we even need a state police? NJ got along fine until the 1920s without one. For state police, the current starting salary for a trooper is $58,748.29 (including uniform allowance). The second-year total compensation jumps to $65,662.39. Top pay for a Trooper I is $97,188.48. Troopers receive yearly increments. All recruits receive $777.78 every two weeks, plus overtime pay. Room and board are also provided while training.
•Service Retirement: After 20 years of service as a New Jersey State Trooper, you are eligible to receive a pension, regardless of age, consisting of 50% of your final compensation.
•Special Retirement: After 25 years of service as a New Jersey State Trooper, you are eligible to receive a pension, regardless of age, consisting of 65% of your final compensation plus 1% for each year above 25 years. The maximum benefit that you can receive under a special retirement is 70% of your final compensation. With overtime, some of these people make $150,00 to $200,000 a year.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/salary.html
Yeah, the wonky part is the "final year of compensation" clause. You will see guys in their last year before retirement automatically get all the overtime they want, work christmas day etc etc. As a result, they can actually retire making more money than they would in a normal year.

This has been routinely abused across the country and some places have closed the loophole.

They have BUS DRIVERS in Wisconsin making >100k a year this way. One of the big greivances with the unions that popped up there.

If it is a private company doing stuff like that then I can choose not to buy their products etc. but when it's the public sector and my taxes are insanely high (WI and NJ have some of the highest total tax burdens in the country) then there needs to be some public accounting of how tax dollars are spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey