Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times

Advertisements

NAACP vows to challenge N.J. State Police over low black representation in new recruit class | NJ.com

Quote:
The new State Police class, selected more than a year ago, is more diverse than the current 2,768 troopers. It is 72.4 percent white, 17.9 percent Hispanic, 4.9 percent Asian, 4.1 percent African-American and 0.8 percent Native American. It’s 88 percent male and 12 percent female. But the class is still less diverse than the state, which is 68.6 percent white and 13.7 percent black.

Of the 263 candidates for the incoming class who passed the written exam, 33 were black, the office said. Of those 33, six dropped out and 22 were disqualified for failing a background check, the office said.
This is so ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
And they wonder why theres such a disconnect between them and the younger black generations....

Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

You don't pass the testing, you don't get to play cop.

Easy.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Even as a minority, as of late I've often found myself wondering if the NAACP (despite past successes) really has a clear understanding of goals as they apply to the present (or if they know what real direction to take in the 21st century).

Don't bend the metal of others when you lose a fight; polish your own metal so it can better fight for you.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
given the history in the state, it really isn't all that ridiculous. now, that's not to say the NAACP is handling things well, but there is obviously something wrong in NJ that they cannot recruit african americans to the force when you look at unemployment in this state, especially in the african american community. granted, the african american community needs to step up and realize the opportunity is there for them as well, but if they feel unwelcome, i don't necessarily blame them.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
but there is obviously something wrong in NJ that they cannot recruit african americans to the force when you look at unemployment in this state, especially in the african american community.
i would like to know the answer to the below question to see if they are recruiting them. also, many may self select themselves out due to background issues that may disqualify them and maybe even negative percpetions of police in their community.

"With the exception of background checks, the Attorney General’s Office declined to say how many blacks began the process for the new class and when they flunked out."

Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Even as a minority, as of late I've often found myself wondering if the NAACP (despite past successes) really has a clear understanding of goals as they apply to the present (or if they know what real direction to take in the 21st century).

Don't bend the metal of others when you lose a fight; polish your own metal so it can better fight for you.
Careful, careful....talk like that will get you called a Bill Cosby.

IMO the problem with the NAACP is that they are out of touch with the majority of blacks. They've also morphed into a wing of the democratic party and as such are less issues oriented than they used to be and fight fights for partisan politics rather than from a position of moral right.

Look at how the latino vote is a swing vote and as such they have enormous clout with both parties. Meanwhile, most republicans don't even bother trying anymore and the democrats just pay lip service since they are getting the cow for free. Ask the unions how that worked out for them when they were thrown under the bus by NAFTA.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i would like to know the answer to the below question to see if they are recruiting them. also, many may self select themselves out due to background issues that may disqualify them and maybe even negative percpetions of police in their community.

"With the exception of background checks, the Attorney General’s Office declined to say how many blacks began the process for the new class and when they flunked out."
true. and one point in the article said something about being arrested for marijuana at 15 shouldn't count against you. i don't know. i tend to agree, but at the same time, for people who know this hypothetical person, they'd always think about that, and it might make some people respect that officer less - so i get the reasoning why. poor credit seems like a foolish strike, but it did say that's discretionary.

To me, it would seem the way to increase the african american population of troopers would be to have some sort of "junior trooper" program, where you enroll kids in their early teens and have them participate in some activities that keeps them interested in law enforcement at a young age, and keeps them out of trouble.

the issues of the past exist, and we move forward. but if some people have been discriminated against in their youth, and arrested for something as a result, and that creates a chain of reactions down the line...it's hard to overcome the problem without recruiting younger individuals into some sort of program.

now - how far do they have to go to appease people is another question. because if they are trying, and it's not working because the community isn't interested...then it's a losing effort.

tough position in general.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Careful, careful....talk like that will get you called a Bill Cosby.

IMO the problem with the NAACP is that they are out of touch with the majority of blacks. They've also morphed into a wing of the democratic party and as such are less issues oriented than they used to be and fight fights for partisan politics rather than from a position of moral right.

Look at how the latino vote is a swing vote and as such they have enormous clout with both parties. Meanwhile, most republicans don't even bother trying anymore and the democrats just pay lip service since they are getting the cow for free. Ask the unions how that worked out for them when they were thrown under the bus by NAFTA.
i don't even think the NAACP is with the democrats. I think they just throw their weight around wherever possible and overreact to a lot of things. Sure, Demcs appeal more to them than Repubs, but I don't think they are really in bed with any of them, as they lash out against Dems too.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I agree with the junior trooper program and put it in vocational schools or even elementary magnet schools. In turn, exposure can show what troopers do and even the option of being a trooper as well. As a country, we need to expose kids in all communities to job possibilities early in the educational process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey