Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:27 PM

91 posts, read 205,611 times

Advertisements

You guys are too funny! Who would've thunk all of these great posts in the 'nj' forum and we're discussing NC! Im quite sure, we dont want to live in a subdivision since I love privacy. We are looking for older homes with character. Just like our home now. Newer homes seem generic too us. A big box in a lot; not our thing. My job will require us to live 30 minutes from my territory (im in sales) and i have no objective as long as im 5-10 minutes from bars/lounges/restaurants.

I can't wait to go down there. I usually go with instinct. I hope NC gives us a great vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 03:27 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
LOL southbound I know that she didn't know that, or that Raleigh/Durham is also known as Little Yankee Stadium

CL you and your husband will be just fine in that area, you will have all the comforts of home and still an hour + to Newark Airport, 1 hr. 10 mins. to Atlantic City.

Coming down next weekend will give you a good feel, you should check out rental sites as well. You will be in a better position if your husband has a job before you move down here.
Go and see the Shoppes at SouthPointe you will be amazed at the size of this Mall & I don't even like to shop.

Southbound I am taking a road trip to steal some of your bananna peppers, I paid $4.00 for 6 little ones last week. No one knows what they are here. Oh, & Sam's Club called, they are bringing back Ricotta Cheese. Gotta love the adventure!

Keep the questions coming cl, if we don't know the answer we probably will be able to find it for you. kelsie
LOL, kelsie, I tell them that peppers & onions are the grits of Philadelphia. Don't ask for bananna peppers! You want Cubanelle. Save seed & start your own next year. I can get them at Compare Foods but when the gas prices rose & the food prices with it, the price went up to $2.99 lb!!! Compare Foods Supermarkets They have Jack Frost sugar, Carolina rice (as well as Mahatma) & Quaker cornmeal in the canister.

LOL, bringing back ricotta cheese! How dare the fools take it away! My nearest supermarket (ignoring the Food Lions) is Ingles & they carry Sorrento & store brand (Like Pathmark, they own their own dairy.)

I'm looking for work now. After I got down here I got sick & they found cancer. I can attest that medical care is good here. Once I can get money coming in, I have to have some work done on my car, then I can take off & sight-see. I keep trying to get someone to go panning for gold with me. That would sure help.

If you grow peppers, plant at least 10 plants, then you can spread them around & get a following going. In the hottest heat, like the heirloom tomato plants, they will quit setting. I have enough for one more batch, that are almost ready to be picked, then some tiny ones that have recently set, since the edge is off the heat, here.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Thank u guys-again!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyloca View Post
You guys are too funny! Who would've thunk all of these great posts in the 'nj' forum and we're discussing NC! Im quite sure, we dont want to live in a subdivision since I love privacy. We are looking for older homes with character. Just like our home now. Newer homes seem generic too us. A big box in a lot; not our thing. My job will require us to live 30 minutes from my territory (im in sales) and i have no objective as long as im 5-10 minutes from bars/lounges/restaurants.

I can't wait to go down there. I usually go with instinct. I hope NC gives us a great vibe.
LOL, we're telling you what you need to know, coming from NJ.

Are you flying or driving down?

Older homes will skew your neighbors to being more natives than transplants.

If you decide to come down, we'll fill you in with the basics.

There's 100 counties in NC. It's a very big state. Think of it as PA & NJ combined into one state.

The Official Travel & Tourism Website for North Carolina

Explore North Carolina (http://www.visitnc.com/travelpubs/madlib - broken link)

Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
CL--SB is right we have been here 8 yrs. and have never even seen the mountains. It would take us just as long to get to the NC Mountains as it does for us to get to visit our kids outside of Atlantic City.

Took yesterday off to go up to Raleigh (1 1/2 hrs. away) to BJ's to buy my Ricotta Cheese Had a good Pizza at Brixx in Brier Creek strip Mall & checked out a book on rentals in the Triangle. Very inexpensive.
CL, what SB said to you is so true, you really have to investigate I would rent before thinking of buying to get a good feel of the areas. Check out [url=http://www.ForRent.com. A friend of ours who was from Jersey owns an Irish Club on the main st. in Raleigh, [B]Tir-Na-Nog[/b], if you have time when you come down next week you should stop there, talk to Pete (the owner) or one the bar tenders they can tell you a lot about the area. The more people you speak to the better off you are.

Keep us posted. kelsie

SB-thanks for the tip on the peppers!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
CL--SB is right we have been here 8 yrs. and have never even seen the mountains. It would take us just as long to get to the NC Mountains as it does for us to get to visit our kids outside of Atlantic City.

Took yesterday off to go up to Raleigh (1 1/2 hrs. away) to BJ's to buy my Ricotta Cheese Had a good Pizza at Brixx in Brier Creek strip Mall & checked out a book on rentals in the Triangle. Very inexpensive.
CL, what SB said to you is so true, you really have to investigate I would rent before thinking of buying to get a good feel of the areas. Check out [url=http://www.ForRent.com. A friend of ours who was from Jersey owns an Irish Club on the main st. in Raleigh, [B]Tir-Na-Nog[/b], if you have time when you come down next week you should stop there, talk to Pete (the owner) or one the bar tenders they can tell you a lot about the area. The more people you speak to the better off you are.

Keep us posted. kelsie

SB-thanks for the tip on the peppers!
Thanks, kelsie. You're welcome about the peppers. I think that the Compare Foods nearest to you is in Fayetteville. Check them out. I'd also check them out for Ricotta cheese. If they have it, even if it's a few pennies more than BJ's, at the price of gas, it might be cheaper for you.

LOL, I haven't been to the mountains or the coast because of the medical bills. Hopefully, I can get a job soon, get the work done on the car, then be able to get around more.

I hope that Irene goes out to sea & doesn't get you, kelsie.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 PM

23 posts, read 28,727 times
My uncle moved to NC. He bought a condo, found good job but in 2 years he was back in NJ. He claimed 2 reasons.1. Live is slow and predictable there and he could not adjust even though he was happy to slow down in the beginning. 2. It is very closed community. It seems that if you are not born there it is hard to become "one of them".

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM

Southbound and kelsie, we'll by flying in. Any pointers on the job market for the hubby? Again, all your input has been very helpful! I can't wait to get there this weekend!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Southbound and kelsie, we'll by flying in. Any pointers on the job market for the hubby? Again, all your input has been very helpful! I can't wait to get there this weekend!
Well, neither of us are in that metro, but I know that there are call centers all through the Piedmont metros. I'm guessing that he's working for PSE&G. Progress is the electric utility in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill) Duke is the electric utility in Charlotte & is acquiring Progress.

I'd post a thread on the Raleigh board & ask who the utilities are in the area. If your husband gets that information he can check for websites to look for information of where to apply. If he has problems I'll send you a website for him to check, but I won't post it here. Checking the company websites is probably his best bet, particularly since he's currently employed.

LOL, I was going to give you a couple of hot tips for driving down. Hopefully, you'll have a good flight. Raleigh-Durham International Airport (http://www.rdu.com/index.htm - broken link) Right now the weather is lovely. Keep your fingers crossed that Hurricane Irene goes out to sea or takes a left at Florida & goes into the Gulf.

FYI, rail tracks south of DC are being upgraded to introduce high speed travel, from DC to Charlotte, via Richmond, Raleigh, & Greensboro. Amtrak can't bring Acela down unless new tracks are laid & there's just no money for that, so the plan is high speed diesel, for the time being. NCDOT owns the tracks in NC & rents them to Norfolk Southern. Passenger trains are worked in. Tracks & intersections are being upgraded from DC to Charlotte.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Unhappy Irene

Quote:
we'll by flying in.... I can't wait to get there this weekend!
Sorry to break in, but Hurricane Irene may disrupt your plans. One track has it heading up I-40 on Saturday.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-23-2011 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey