Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 AM

37 posts, read 308,178 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,

I am still in shock of the flood that we had in our basement yesterday We just rented and moved to this house in Wayne last month. It is NOT in the flood zone areas of Wayne. The power was out whole night and the pumps didnot work therefore we had the flood. Brand new living room furniture in the basement which we haven't even sat on yet, the carpets, appliances, cabinets, closets everything was under water till afternoon. And to make it worse, because we just moved in, all our moving boxes were in the basement too. All the clothes for the whole family, comforters, pillows, baby needs, medication, some food etc were soaked in water. Electric outlets are not working in the basement and the closet & cupboard doors are expanded so they cannot be opened & closed either. it was one of the worst days of my life, physically, emotionaly, mentaly and physically. All I can do is to thank GOd that my kids are still alive.

so now here is my question, we lost alot of valuable belongings. We just rent the house, not own it. Is there any institution that can reimburse our loss?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 AM

143 posts, read 302,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyzanour View Post
hi everyone,

I am still in shock of the flood that we had in our basement yesterday We just rented and moved to this house in Wayne last month. It is NOT in the flood zone areas of Wayne. The power was out whole night and the pumps didnot work therefore we had the flood. Brand new living room furniture in the basement which we haven't even sat on yet, the carpets, appliances, cabinets, closets everything was under water till afternoon. And to make it worse, because we just moved in, all our moving boxes were in the basement too. All the clothes for the whole family, comforters, pillows, baby needs, medication, some food etc were soaked in water. Electric outlets are not working in the basement and the closet & cupboard doors are expanded so they cannot be opened & closed either. it was one of the worst days of my life, physically, emotionaly, mentaly and physically. All I can do is to thank GOd that my kids are still alive.

so now here is my question, we lost alot of valuable belongings. We just rent the house, not own it. Is there any institution that can reimburse our loss?

Thank you!
I'm really sorry. The Wayne/Little Falls area is notorious for flooding.

Do you have renter's insurance?

Hopefully the owner of the house has some insurance, but I don't know if it would cover YOUR things. You could ask him or her.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 AM

37 posts, read 308,178 times
already asked them but they said because it is NOT in the flood zone of wayne they cannot claim anything i donno if it is true. i just need more accurate info from experienced people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
I'm really sorry. The Wayne/Little Falls area is notorious for flooding.

Do you have renter's insurance?

Hopefully the owner of the house has some insurance, but I don't know if it would cover YOUR things. You could ask him or her.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyzanour View Post
already asked them but they said because it is NOT in the flood zone of wayne they cannot claim anything i donno if it is true. i just need more accurate info from experienced people.
They are telling the truth. Insurance claims for flooding are funded directly by FEMA and only available to flood zones as determined by FEMA.

Landlords are liable only if the flood was caused by negligence to reasonably prevent flooding. This doesn't seem to be the case.

There may be options. FEMA has the ability to declare disaster zones and provide funding after the fact.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 AM

143 posts, read 302,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They are telling the truth. Insurance claims for flooding are funded directly by FEMA and only available to flood zones as determined by FEMA.

Landlords are liable only if the flood was caused by negligence to reasonably prevent flooding. This doesn't seem to be the case.

There may be options. FEMA has the ability to declare disaster zones and provide funding after the fact.
Personally I think all of Wayne and Little Falls should just be labeled flood zones. I've seen massive flooding for the last three years in both of those towns.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 AM

572 posts, read 2,022,089 times
You can get flood insurance for any home, not just those located in a flood zone. It is more expensinve for homes located in a flood zone A or V which are the problematic zones, but all homes have a zone associated with them. The preferred zones (where the insurance is pretty inexpensive) are zones B, C and X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Right now, the only recourse you would have is if you had a renters policy that would cover your belongings in case of flood. If you have a policy, read it over and see what you are and aren't covered for. If it looks like you are covered, contact the company right away to start a claim. If you have no renters insurance, or are not covered for floods, your only option is going to be if your areas is declared a disaster zone by FEMA and then filing claims with them.

In the meantime, regardless of the above, take pictures of EVERYTHING. It will be much easier to file claims if you have good documentation. Take pictures of the basement and where all the contents were, then take pictures of the individual items. If you have any receipts/documentation, now is the time to get them together.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
You can get flood insurance for any home, not just those located in a flood zone. It is more expensinve for homes located in a flood zone A or V which are the problematic zones, but all homes have a zone associated with them. The preferred zones (where the insurance is pretty inexpensive) are zones B, C and X.
He is a renter though, I'm not sure if renters are able to purchase flood insurance for a home they don't own, and at least my renter's insurance specifically excludes flooding (I'm on 2nd floor though so not an issue). I would ask the landlord if he had flood insurance, but if not I don't know what the nest step should be. Is he aware of what happened?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 AM

572 posts, read 2,022,089 times
You can get a flood policy for contents only if you are a renter. It would not matter if the landlord had flood insurance unfortunately as the renters contents would not be covered under his policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He is a renter though, I'm not sure if renters are able to purchase flood insurance for a home they don't own, and at least my renter's insurance specifically excludes flooding (I'm on 2nd floor though so not an issue). I would ask the landlord if he had flood insurance, but if not I don't know what the nest step should be. Is he aware of what happened?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,167 times
We are the landlord and our community was under evcuation for ground floor unit. We spoke to our tenant and asked them to get prepared before the hurricane came. We were so worried about the flooding as our condo is ground floor unit. Thanks God that our community was not flooded at all even though it's a waterfront community.
We had rental insurance cover interior and exterior is owned by HOA. During the weekend, we checked the policy, it does not cover tenant's belonging though. Is landlord responsible for tenant's loss in this kind of case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey