Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM

41 posts, read 190,772 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on going and taking pictures of the NYC skyline. I'm just a little nervous because I don't know the area and I'll have a lot of expensive equipment with me. I'll be driving there since I'm from NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Not really sure how safe it is, but I do know they close some areas at about 9-10pm

Old 08-19-2011, 06:56 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
It's pretty safe. They have rangers patrolling. Don't stand around with thousands of dollars worth of equipment by you and ask directions or look lost. The safest part is by the Liberty Harbor restaurant and marina section. It's by the abandoned railroad terminal.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Failing the park, you could take pictures from around Pavonia or Colgate pier. Both well lit and patrolled often. Depending on the types of pictures, the fact that its well lit might not be what your looking for.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Don't know about that specific park, but don't most of them close around 8?

Another great spot for pictures is Boulevard East in Weehawken. I forget what the cross streets are called but you get google Charritos in Weehawken as a starting point. the views are great and there's aloways a ton of people both amatuer and professional taking pictures there. It's great at sunset too.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM

4,151 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Donno about the park itself, but I was riding the lightrail a few time late at night in that station and no problem. People just mind their own business.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
It is relatively safe, if you don't count the guy who got his lungs hacked out waiting for the light rail a few years back.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDong217 View Post
I'm planning on going and taking pictures of the NYC skyline. I'm just a little nervous because I don't know the area and I'll have a lot of expensive equipment with me. I'll be driving there since I'm from NY
There are some typical smart ass posts in this thread.

The park opens at 6 AM and closes at 10 PM unless there is some specific event going on like fireworks displays.

SOP for most pro photographers is to case the area in the day time so you have a sense of where stuff is like parking, walkways, entrances to buildings etc. Take the time check out the maps located here so you know where stuff is, at least generally. Having shot there before, I would suggest parking at the Rail Terminal as someone else suggested then walk down Liberty Walk to the Liberation Monument.

While you are there in the daytime, try out several lenses to see what focal length works for the shot you are trying to get. FWIW, I would recommend using a 18-55mm wide-angle lens with an f-stop of 2.8 if you want to include the harbor. A 70-200 zoom with a high f-stop would work to get you closer into the buildings. If you just want the buildings without too much of the harbor, get a 300 prime with a high f-stop.

Whatever you do, travel light. Don't weight yourself down with a bunch of equipment you don't need. My kit for a shoot like this would be a monopod, body, and two or three of the lenses I mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RUNYYfan; 08-21-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
if you don't count the guy who got his lungs hacked out waiting for the light rail a few years back.
The actor in that incident was mentally ill & stopped taking his medication. A wildly random act by anyone's standards. Not exactly a good measurement for the area as a whole.
Good try though.......................

Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM

41 posts, read 190,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
There are some typical smart ass posts in this thread.

The park opens at 6 AM and closes at 10 PM unless there is some specific event going on like fireworks displays.

SOP for most pro photographers is to case the area in the day time so you have a sense of where stuff is like parking, walkways, entrances to buildings etc. Take the time check out the maps located here so you know where stuff is, at least generally. Having shot there before, I would suggest parking at the Rail Terminal as someone else suggested then walk down Liberty Walk to the Liberation Monument.

While you are there in the daytime, try out several lenses to see what focal length works for the shot you are trying to get. FWIW, I would recommend using a 18-55mm wide-angle lens with an f-stop of 2.8 if you want to include the harbor. A 70-200 zoom with a high f-stop would work to get you closer into the buildings. If you just want the buildings without too much of the harbor, get a 300 prime with a high f-stop.

Whatever you do, travel light. Don't weight yourself down with a bunch of equipment you don't need. My kit for a shoot like this would be a monopod, body, and two or three of the lenses I mentioned.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the awesome tips! Man, I might not make it there by 10. I'm eating dinner with a few friends at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn first, then getting some shots in Brooklyn Bridge Park and the promenade, then finally driving to Liberty State. We might be able to make it before 10, but I'm not sure if it would even be worth it at that point

In case of that, anyone have any recommendations for other spots in NJ near Liberty State Park that are open late and safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey