Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,687 times

Advertisements

Point Pleasant is nice for young families???

Well, not on Memorial Day weekend it isn’t.

Let’s see, where can I start:

· Terrible parking
· Crowded boardwalk
· Insane prices
· Ridiculously long lines at the rides
· Drunk college kids and assorted trashy individuals everywhere

I know most places down the share “change” a bit on the three big weekends (MD, July 4, LD), but this was worse than I ever remember Seaside being.

Next time I’ll just bite the bullet and drive the extra hour to Wildwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Point Pleasant is nice for young families???

Well, not on Memorial Day weekend it isn’t.

Let’s see, where can I start:

· Terrible parking
· Crowded boardwalk
· Insane prices
· Ridiculously long lines at the rides
· Drunk college kids and assorted trashy individuals everywhere

I know most places down the shore “change” a bit on the three big weekends (MD, July 4, LD), but this was worse than I ever remember Seaside being.

Next time I’ll just bite the bullet and drive the extra hour to Wildwood.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Sorry for the re-post.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 AM

5 posts, read 23,471 times
Absolutely the Wildwood/Cape May areas. As children, we camped every year at Fort Apache (now gone), beached in Wildwood Crest, crabbed in Wildwood Crest and went to the boardwalk - the best in the US!!!

As an adult, I lucked into a yearly rental in Cape May Point and do all my "traditional" things in the area (going to Wildwood Crest and the boardwalk) as well as adding my favourites from Cape May.

All told, as a non-NJ native, I've been going to the Jersey Shore (especially the Wildwood/Cape May areas) for about 40 years. As a matter of fact, a condition of my marriage (and subsequent move from east coast to west) was that my husband promise me that I would continue to take my yearly sojourn to the shore. Thing is... he loved it so much the first time I brought him there, he talked about retiring to Cape May when the time came.

The Jersey Shore and Jersey in general is a heck of a lot more than the reputation that precedes it!!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Which NJ Shore Town Is The Best For A Vacation?

Personally, I love the Cape May / Wildwood areas. There's much to do and the beachs are clean. It's a great area to bring the kids.

The boardwalk speaks for itself. "Watch the Tram Car... Watch, watch the tram car, please."

(It's not a cheap vacation though!)
I still love the Widwood area. I'm going camping down there in September.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
None. Go to Ocean City, MD, The Outer Banks, NC or Myrtle Beach, SC. Or up North (Maine, NH seacoast). As for Jersey, it's not bad for a day trip here and there (although Cape May is nice, quaint and has great B&B's, LBI isn't bad for families, I'll give it that)==(even younger singles crowds - college thru 30's - have started going to LBI, but I don't think it has gotten or will get as bad/wild as Seaside). Other than that...can't say much about my opinion of the Jersey Shore other than it was wonderful...once.

Ocean City, MD is not a great place for a family. Its mostly teenagers and college kids drinking until they puke. Wildwood is kind of the same way with a lot of kids partying, only on a smaller scale. BUT...Wildwood Crest is perfect for families. I'm also a big fan of Ocean City, NJ....which has the best boardwalk for families, in my opinion. The South Jersey beaches seemed to have improved over the years...they are very clean these days.

Myrtle Beach is too crowded and commerical. Its a constant big-city traffic jam and overloaded with chain businesses. I love the Jersey Shore because its a step back to a simpler time, when everything wasn't "hurry hurry rush rush," and when we actually had little local businesses rather than big box chains and uniformity from one town to the next. I love the Jersey Shore. Someday I want to go to Ireland on vacation, but until then, I am more than content to spend my summer vacations at the Crest or in Ocean City, NJ.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I concur. My family has enjoyed our vacations to Wildwood Crest very much. For all the nitpicking, bashing, and kvetching you all do about how much Jersey stinks (both literally and figuratively), you must admit that you have a distinct beach advantage over landlocked states like PA or VT (unless you count Erie as being a "shore town.") It seems like we do a trade-off. We export all of our PA tourists to the Jersey Shore, and you export all of your NJ tourists to NEPA.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
i'm a fixture on the LBI circuit so I have to say there.

With Kids? Wildwood.

No kids? Cape May. Now SWB, THAT'S a place for a photo tour.

Rowdy teenagers and young 20's? Sleezeside. Lots of great memories there.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,557 times
I knew Seaside was going to get beat up in this thread....lol....I live close by and take my kids to the kiddy ride section on the southside of the boardwalk. We have probably been there 10 times this season. I also walked the whole lenght a few times. I haven't seen one fight or drunk or any rowdy kids. I did see many many cop's all over the place.

I think a great place to stay is Seaside park. Once your a few blocks away from the boardwalk it's quiet and full of little town charm.

The rest of the places mentioned are very nice also.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I go to Seaside / Ortley Beach even though it's dirty lol.

I can't help it, I am young and I love going to the Sawmill, Bamboo and Surf Club.

i like LBI to lay on the beach
Hey, I'm with you and I'm "old" (lol) I love Seaside and always will. It definately has the best junk food and is the best for people watching. For what it's worth it also has the most number of rent-a-cops of any shore town.

For ambiance, I like Cape May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey